• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Homemade chili was very good; I used Bush's Chili Beans instead of kidney beans for the first time and I like them better.

Served with Jiffy cornmeal muffins.  Plenty of leftovers for the cold and snowy days ahead.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, gfweb said:

SV (139 F 3 hrs) pork loin with apple/mustard sauce, maple salted caramel sprouts, Mashed potatoes

030.thumb.jpg.4996e80dc26f3d4972940e1554fe86f5.jpg

If I just look at the left side of the platter.....the pork looks nice and juicy.

signed BS-Hater. 😃

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

If I just look at the left side of the platter.....the pork looks nice and juicy.

signed BS-Hater. 😃

Maple Salted caramel can overcome almost anything!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, gfweb said:

SV (139 F 3 hrs) pork loin with apple/mustard sauce, maple salted caramel sprouts, Mashed potatoes

030.thumb.jpg.4996e80dc26f3d4972940e1554fe86f5.jpg

I love pork with apples and mustard.  Can you share the recipe for the sauce?

I used to be a renowned BS hater... then, years ago, I took a cooking class with David Bouley and one of the vegetables made was "roasted brussels sprouts leaves" - which is really "sauteed brussels sprouts leaves"...   You core the sprout and separate all the leaves... then on high heat, saute with salt and pepper until the leaves wilt slightly and are a bit charred - the high heat gives them a sweetness and they're not vegetal at all.  It's the only way I'll eat BS now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I used to be a renowned BS hater... then, years ago, I took a cooking class with David Bouley and one of the vegetables made was "roasted brussels sprouts leaves" - which is really "sauteed brussels sprouts leaves"...   You core the sprout and separate all the leaves... then on high heat, saute with salt and pepper until the leaves wilt slightly and are a bit charred - the high heat gives them a sweetness and they're not vegetal at all.  It's the only way I'll eat BS now.

How much of a PITA is coring the sprouts and separating the leaves?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

58 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I love pork with apples and mustard.  Can you share the recipe for the sauce?

Pork is cooked separately in the  SV machine (139 F x 3 hours) with a few sprigs of thyme.

The apples and onion were braised in apple juice that then was strained and put in the sauce.

Sauce is apple juice and chicken stock in equal parts....tsp or more dijon depending on volume...sauteed garlic....reduced about 50% till I like the taste...whisked in 2 tsp butter...salt and pepper and serve.

I apologize for the imprecision, but its one of those ones I've done for so long I just go by feel.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

I’ve tried something very similar but still not a go.  Sad really, but there you have it....Mommy cooked the heart of BS’s and in those days children weren’t excused from the table until all food was consumed....I have the same hate on for pears. 😕

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I’ve tried something very similar but still not a go.  Sad really, but there you have it....Mommy cooked the heart of BS’s and in those days children weren’t excused from the table until all food was consumed....I have the same hate on for pears. 😕

I share your dislike of BS but I like pears.  I was raised the same way.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

My parents tried to do that to me... I was prepared to sit all night, they were not.... hehehe

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, MelissaH said:

How much of a PITA is coring the sprouts and separating the leaves?

My husband does the prep. He doesn't core the sprouts, just pares off the bottoms enough to take off the outer leaf layer; doesn't seem like a terrible chore. He also cuts them in half if they are a typical size and not tiny. I used to be a dedicated hater until I learned to roast them. Now they are in regular rotation when in season. Love them. Great roasted with a little bacon fat, and also great dressed lightly with a mix maple syrup and mustard just before serving.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

My husband does the prep. He doesn't core the sprouts, just pares off the bottoms enough to take off the outer leaf layer; doesn't seem like a terrible chore. He also cuts them in half if they are a typical size and not tiny. I used to be a dedicated hater until I learned to roast them. Now they are in regular rotation when in season. Love them. Great roasted with a little bacon fat, and also great dressed lightly with a mix maple syrup and mustard just before serving.

You almost have me wanting some.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Teach that boy how to core a spout in a 2 sec maneuver per sprout. Just saying.   

Brussels are high on my list for roasting. Love them, can't get enough 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Tonight's dinner.

442922223_CasareccewithItalianSausageFebruary4th2019.thumb.jpg.6a50e881874f68aa0318923f17f05213.jpg

Casarecce Pasta in a tomato sauce with Italian sausage.

Beautiful. Casarecce is my new favorite pasta. Holds a sauce...good bite to it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@gfweb This is the first time I've cooked it.   I really enjoyed it.    I can see why it would be your favourite. 

Cavatappi rigati is another good one. A brawny macaroni that seems just right to me for all kinds of uses. 

• Like 1