• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Happy to eat my "bland" food again. Store-bought potato dumplings to test once and for all. They are all uniformly shaped, whereas my own is not nicely shaped but tastes far better.

byy53Yl.jpg

Potato dumplings with Sauerkraut and Speck. One of my all time favourite meals. Simple, good and soul-satisfying.

hTBQJPK.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

59 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Nope food tastes best in F.

C is for fevers.

Other way around. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Three minute rosemary mushroom pizza:

Pizza01192019.png

Actually the mushrooms were leftover chicken cacciatore after the chicken part was gone.  I think I finally have a handle on the ratio of blackened bottom and chewy crust.  Very pleased.

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Made Jamie Oliver's Assam Crispy Skin Duck tonight. The skin was scored and rubbed with olive oil, Assam tea leaves and Five Spice powder.
Should have taken a picture before I mangled the duck as the scored skin was kinda pretty and CRISPY! I save the duck fat and poured it while got over some fresh Thai lime leaves.

Made gravy with the bits on the bottom of the pan, the vegetables, and a cup of Assam tea. Eaten with the pan vegetables, quick pickle of carrots and cukes, steamed Shanghai Bak Choy and Jasmine rice.

2080962898_AssamCrispyDuck8247.jpg.3c84f6200199482d25de9387028a9ab9.jpg

2065621369_AssamCrispyDuckPiece8249.jpg.17f19b32925bc1030f5a6056e186835e.jpg

• Like 25
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

2 hours ago, Dejah said:

Made Jamie Oliver's Assam Crispy Skin Duck tonight. The skin was scored and rubbed with olive oil, Assam tea leaves and Five Spice powder.

I've long thought tea is one of the most overlooked ingredients in food preparation.

Tea smoked duck from Sichuan and green tea stir fried shrimp from Hunan are two of my favourites.

And the local oil tea dish.

I'll  search out the Oliver recipe.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Did a pork roast in the slow cooker the other day.  

IMG_5813.jpg.ed28a4aa6d39baac08bf6084ef088a2a.jpg

Venison chili

IMG_5816.jpg.231e9957f2cf5f974c0a8c051090a9b2.jpg

Last night was oysters and salmon

IMG_5819.jpg.e42894bd0f992d2b3d53944286fdd457.jpg

IMG_5818.JPG

And now I'm off to plan something fun for dinner tonight ....I need something to distract me from the Chiefs/New England game.  I am a die hard Broncos fan.  I need this game to have no winners.  A score of 0-0 would be nice.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 17

@Shelby,  quick question...

Since you guys are landlocked...how and why do y'all eat so many oysters?

I remember reading that with the railroads many  folks would order barrels of oysters for winter celebrations.  Does that fit into your story?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I've long thought tea is one of the most overlooked ingredients in food preparation.

I just know this is going to come out wrong so I trust you to read between the lines because I am not just being a smart ass. I don’t like tea as a drink. I don’t care if it’s black, green, red, iced.   But it is often the case that an ingredient used in a different way can appeal even to a “hater”. 

What is the likelihood that I might like the smoked duck or the shrimp?  I’m not asking you to get inside my head only to tell me if there is a marked change.  

Oh, nevermind. I’ll just have to find out for myself.  Still, I’d like to see your response. Perhaps you even know someone who dislikes tea as a drink.....

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

@Shelby,  quick question...

Since you guys are landlocked...how and why do y'all eat so many oysters?

I remember reading that with the railroads many  folks would order barrels of oysters for winter celebrations.  Does that fit into your story?

My mom and step dad sent us a huge wonderful bag of oysters from Cajun Grocer that we keep in the freezer.  A few hours before dinner, we take some out so that they thaw enough to get them open.  They are wonderful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I picked up a small boneless pork loin the other day which I'll rub with grainy mustard , bourbon, brown sugar, etc.  Recipe callsfor roasting in a Dutch oven over onion and apples.  Don't have the apples but I'll make do with just onion.  

Have some leftover green beans and a ciabatta roll to go with.

• Like 8

Tonight my wife was at her community band so I was on my own - she said I should get something just for me.  This is american Wagyu ribeye.  I cooked it sous vide and then in a very hot pan to get a nice crsp crust - might have had it on longer then it needed, but the crust was nice.  I steamed some potatoes and smashed them to go along.

20190120_184531.thumb.jpg.f1e0225ca68513a798251711cdccea0f.jpg

I can only eat so much steak - I had a bit left over - it's approved by my cat:

20190120_190955.thumb.jpg.884974c1d04a32cb57e9f9eea13920f7.jpg

20190120_190959.thumb.jpg.e90b1e4e585aee4b9f4b9eddde1cbfee.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

16717456-ACBE-49D9-8D70-FDB38042E58B.thumb.jpeg.f5b74867bbd8ae100b798bde59830154.jpeg

Ham and Bean Soup with Fried Savory Polenta

I am contemplating that very thing for dinner tomorrow, save with cornbread 'stead of polenta.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

What is the likelihood that I might like the smoked duck or the shrimp?  I’m not asking you to get inside my head only to tell me if there is a marked change.  

Oh, nevermind. I’ll just have to find out for myself.  Still, I’d like to see your response. Perhaps you even know someone who dislikes tea as a drink.....

I don't see why you might not like it as a vegetable or smoking fuel. I don't particularly like drinking tea - I might have one cup a year.

Used as a vegetable it brings a vegetal note and a slight bitterness (tannin) which compliments the sweetness of the shrimp. Dragon's Well tea is the preferred choice for this dish. More here.

prawns green tea.jpg

Jasmine tea is the choice for smoking. It brings that floral note to the duck. it is seldom made at home, though.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I don't see why you might not like it as a vegetable or smoking fuel. I don't particularly like drinking tea - I might have one cup a year.

Well that certainly brought a smile to my face.

Thanks very much for answering my questions.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

84201411-0594-407E-A423-977048E3C0DB.thumb.jpeg.32cd1c551374a58c2d45617ec07175dc.jpeg

Saved a little of the beef gyudon from lunch and served it over noodles for dinner. I supplemented with some broccoli, some slow cooked onions and peppers and, underneath the scallions, a poached egg. 

• Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Used as a vegetable it brings a vegetal note and a slight bitterness (tannin) which compliments the sweetness of the shrimp. Dragon's Well tea is the preferred choice for this dish. More here.

Jasmine tea is the choice for smoking. It brings that floral note to the duck. it is seldom made at home, though.

I looked up the Dragon's Well Tea Shrimp when you first commented. It'll be next on my "new recipes". I have a couple of containers from students. Thanks!

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Vadouvan Curry Shrimp with some large shrimp,  and 2 small lobster tails from Jan. 2018!
Eaten with basmati rice, peas, and wilted spinach.

836795107_VadouvanCurryShrimp8283.jpg.87f1ee04c622edbd4c1f32d0ae57d7db.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com