• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Roasted chicken thighs with lingonberry sauce, mashed sweet potatoes with olive oil and maple syrup and well steamed broccoli with garlic and olive oil (I get the steamed stem parts and Johnnybird gets the florets).  First time I have been able to keep things down in a while.

Tonight will be shrimp with pasta and pesto for John.

Wednesday I'll chop up the leftover chicken thighs, mix with gravy, carrots, onions and peas.  Cornbread dressing and some green beans will finish off the meal.

• Like 7

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Birthday dinner last night started with more of that wonderful Harbison cheese that I can't get enough of

IMG_5807.JPG.12d6a900b405835b58f484292676e1ef.JPG

Then venison lasagna and peach crisp for dessert

IMG_5808.JPG.c27b6f9649d91ac506085136d523814b.JPG

IMG_5810.JPG.2eecfed7955fcacfb350af818e840098.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 22
  • Delicious 2

@suzilightning – glad the hear that you seem to be on the mend!

@scubadoo97 – those lamb shanks look fantastic.  One of my favorite things in the world to eat.

@Shelby – my BD is 7/9 – I’d like the same meal, please.  I could eat fried chicken once a week, easy. 

@Ann_T – As Mr. Kim was rushing out to work this morning, I made him stop and look at your photos.  Big mistake, he’s requested chicken and gravy soon and says he might be ready to try clams again. 

Breakfast for dinner last night.  Despite having home made bread in the house, Mr. Kim decided that medium eggs, bacon and good tomatoes cried out for squishy white, so:

DSCN9079.JPG.3f4208c198d4dce28ef4ca9ab8ccde38.JPG

That new (to us, at least) Sara Lee Artesano white bread has become our house bread.  Mr. Kim doesn’t eat much bread and I, being a philistine, love white bread.  It has much better flavor and texture than the other white breads I’ve tried.  It actually reminds me of the supermarket white we had in England.  I went with my own baked bread, toasted, with eggs and bacon:

DSCN9080.thumb.JPG.01a30974dd2f8567b24afaae0b5fdc85.JPG

• Like 19
  • Delicious 2

I'm behind on posting :P

Bialys - crisp and tender, with savory and sweet onion-poppy filling.

Pea salad with mayonnaise, not-quite-hard boiled eggs, pickles, dill.

Here after the first bake.

IMG_20181229_202504_1.thumb.jpg.0bdf4f73f69de87c679cece3ac84070a.jpg

And after a brushing of butter and second bake (always double bake your breads/muffins if you want them extra crispy!):

IMG_20181229_204402_1.thumb.jpg.15016e4c492afa26e50452d3e8ecf05c.jpgIMG_20181229_204626.thumb.jpg.15e9471b881fa8d9cf770d43d2d249f7.jpg

IMG_20181229_202044.jpg

• Like 22
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

8B21D6AC-09A7-4E02-9388-22B249766E26.thumb.jpeg.a49ef883bfd25eea6c1cb3a15d8282e7.jpeg

Lamb loin chops excavated in my recent freezer dig (here).  These were sv’d at 54.5°C x 45 mins and then seared in cast iron. Potato salad and foil-roasted mushrooms as sides.

Wished I had some bread to soak up the juice from the mushrooms.   It was made from miso, butter, soy sauce and sake.  When nobody was looking, which was my whole dinner hour, I slurped some. :$

• Like 22
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Charlie asked about this dish yesterday. He said he had it in New York several years ago and it was really good. It is chicken and rice with a white sauce. (See blog address at the bottom)  I could not find  the hot sauce or pita, so got some flat bread that I thought would do. Turns out the dish he had did not have any bread, hot sauce, lettuce or tomato so it didn't matter anyway.

20190115_172805.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews
omitted incorrect information (log)
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Last night as supper, Charlie asked me if I had heard of Halal. I said I had but was drawing a blank as to what it was. He said it was something he had had in New York and it was really good. He said it was chicken and rice with a white sauce.  When I looked it up, I  was reminded that halal was a term for kosher food, not a dish in itself.  I found a recipe that claimed it was true to the New York halal cart-style dish.  The store did not have any pita bread but did have a generic flat bread. They did not have the hot sauce either. It turns out that what Charlie had did not have bread, hot sauce, lettuce or tomato so it didn't matter in the end anyway.

20190115_172805.jpg

Just to clarify, Halal has nothing to do with Kosher food.  While originating from similar geographies, Halal refers to what is permissible or lawful in Islamic law, often pertaining to food or drink.

Ironically enough, your dinner would certainly not be Kosher (Halal aside), with the mixture of meat and dairy :)

Edited by TicTac (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Just to clarify, Halal has nothing to do with Kosher food.  While originating from similar geographies, Halal refers to what is permissible  .in Islamic law, often pertaining to food or drink.

Ironically enough, your dinner would certainly not be Kosher (Halal aside), with the mixture of meat and dairy :)

Yes but ya gotta love the paper plates. I am often torn on paper versus on "real' plates in a drought state. Halal groceries here are often the best source of lamb or goat. (as are Hispanic markets)

• Sad 1

Jalepeno, garlic, cilantro, salt and lime cured swordfish with udon noodles and bok choy.  I have to confess that I ate all the swordfish and the chile-garlic sauce and only ate one bite of the noodles.  The swordfish was really tasty and I was full once I ate it all.

1243754509_curedswordfish.thumb.jpg.05edd5a9757513c324cddf98543acedd.jpg

• Like 24

@shain – those bialys are gorgeous! 

@Norm Matthews - You made me giggle - after going to all that trouble!  But it looks good and I'm sure Charlie enjoyed it.  I know I would have.  What is in the sauce?  

Dinner tonight – grilled ham and cheese on my bread:

DSCN9086.JPG.acdccd95b0813ab4b12bbdecacd916d4.JPG

And Campbell’s vegetable soup:

DSCN9087.JPG.ca1d70daf41e85bf9a8de240d215c273.JPG

What can I say?  I grew up on Campbell's.  I actually like it.  I like home made soup, too.  No hard and fast rules with me.  I love all kinds of BBQ.  Never understood folks who insist on only ONE kind of BBQ.  My mom insists that the ONLY way to eat crab is steamed or cake.  Seems like you miss a lot of good things when you insist on such narrow parameters.  Getting awful philosophical over a can of soup, aren't I?  😁

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

Just to clarify, Halal has nothing to do with Kosher food.  While originating from similar geographies, Halal refers to what is permissible or lawful in Islamic law, often pertaining to food or drink.

Doesn't halal have to do with how the meat is slaughtered? Or did I hallucinate that?

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

10 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

@Kim Shook This is in the sauce:

• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Saving that!  Thank you!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kayb said:

Doesn't halal have to do with how the meat is slaughtered? Or did I hallucinate that?

Yes it does, in many respects,  also as a broader dietary standard as per what is permitted in the Qu'ran. I won't go on as I am not an expert and it is not topic appropriate (maybe even forum appropriate i'm STILL learning). However it is a subject that is dominating some areas of food / political media at the moment as Belgium has just banned both Halal and Kosher traditional slaughtering methods. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kayb said:

Yes - it has to do with the health of the animal prior to slaughter and the method of slaughter and how they quickly draw the blood from the body.