• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:49 AM, heidih said:

@Shelby  OK that does it. We are all headed to Kansas for a wild game eGullet food fest. Any dates look good for y'all? (I checked - y'all is singular https://www.wordrake.com/writing-tips/the-story-of-yall 

I'm in.....and will bring the Spanish rice a roni 😉

just gotta find either a bird festival or … does Route 66 run near you?

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Haha 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Last night I made sautéed red onion, kale and potabello mushrooms to go with our steak.  I made it at noon and reheated in the microwave at dinner time....football games dictated dinner time.  The kale dish got bitter.  When I made it, it was fine.  Anyone else experienced this?

Bbq weekend enjoying the sunshine and pool.

BBQ Octopus salad for Saturday dinner.

IMG_20190112_191819.thumb.jpg.f2cec3238179d2a999c90e46bbea4049.jpg

Then Pizza Sunday night.  Make your own topping.

IMG_20190113_175301.thumb.jpg.dd5f8019686aca9c11bc544fbfd33e8c.jpg

I love my Kamado.

Edited by Captain (log)
  • Like 22
  • Delicious 1

Celebrating my son's 32 birthday tonight.  He loves lamb so shanks sounded like the perfect dish.  It probably is my favorite lamb dish.  I had removed much of the silverskin so tied them to keep them from falling apart in the oven

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 5

@heidih  Last night I took a package of Zeroodles, rinsed, blotted dry and put them in a non-stick frying pan on medium heat.  It was interesting to see how much steam came off them as I tossed them around in the pan. In the end, the texture had changed a bit, they were somehow "springier' if that makes any sense.  They were nice and dry and that meant my coconut curry sauce was not diluted with excess water.  I'll do this all the time from now on.  Thank you for suggesting it.

• Like 2

@ElsieD-- Sure

Halibut prep-  I'm lucky I have patients that bring me product, line caught from Alaska.  I prefer a thicker cut.  So I piece them out.

First I dry the filet on paper towel,  make a dry-wet-dry mix , Flour 50% / Parm cheese 50%/ I use a Cajun seasoning in it too - then dip in egg mixture ( I have S and P in it )-- then in Panko.  Rest 2-3 hrs

The sauce- Saute' garlic #1 chopped ( I had Confit'd some ), onion #1/4 diced, ginger Small peeled knob- in Evoo, add tomato paste 2 T toast, add red Curry T ( Mine was from a can--Maybe MoyPloy/ I used Maseri SP )/Cocconut creme or full flavor C Milk ( I used 1/4 of a can  add Kiffer lime leafs/ and some of my stock 1/2 C/ I used a pressure cooked Chxn stock and I added dried red pepper.  Cook this for a while. add a squeeze of lime toward the end and some cilantro stems chopped finely.

Yukon mash--I have confit garlic/ butter/ cream/ onion sprouts

Plate-  Mash potatoes/ladle of the sauce around/  Pan fried Halibut on top--  You can also cook the halibut in the sauce ( Poaching it )-I like the crunch factor  :)  I think Cilantro is great to finish

Cheers

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 10

Its good to have Morels

Rice pudding (Milchreis) with browned butter and some citric pearl barley. The citric taste of the A. luchuensis was definitely a nice contrast to the sweet rice pudding, but it might be better with Koji on rice than barley.

milchreis.thumb.jpg.0bbe4a4eea494f491f714090bea6b1a2.jpg

• Like 13