• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

54 minutes ago, heidih said:

It makes it less slippery in my experience and adds a different element I rinse in colander, blot with towel and just move around in pan on pretty high heat. Play with it. My go to are the bo standard shiritaki from Asian market so no oat. The ones Kenji uses. We have years of relationship so divorce not in sight although I have strayed with the tofu added ones. 

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

NEXT TIME I USE THEM I WILL TRY DRY HEAT.  ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THEIR EXPIRY DATES?

9 hours ago, ElsieD said:

NEXT TIME I USE THEM I WILL TRY DRY HEAT.  ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THEIR EXPIRY DATES?

I've used them past their expiry date...by a couple of months! They were in the fridge, and when I opened them, there was no change in odour. We ate them in soup and we are still alive.

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Hubby's birthday today. Took out a piece of tenderloin that was not in cryovac. Thought I 'd better do something with it before freezer burn.

Thawed it out in the fridge and left it sitting uncovered since Tuesday.

Made hubby Beef Wellington. Our younger son came out from Winnipeg for a birthday visit, so we had the Wellington for supper. Eatedn with a big salad and some boiled peas. 

722340974_BdayWellington8215.jpg.8520c3b4898476f4cbf92200ec21d2cc.jpg

1512239307_SlicedWellington8218.jpg.f4dab01a6152c13688710541ba2b3b2c.jpg

• Like 21
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Creamy (but just slightly so) mushroom soup, with wild mushrooms. Also cauliflower florets (not blended). Rustic baguette, store bought, re-heated and crisped.

Persimmon "carpaccio" with orange zest, mint, lemon juice, olive oil, chili.

IMG_20181228_203750.thumb.jpg.a8f3e2bb4f0ed4cb3fe42e3d2d9f642c.jpgIMG_20181228_203424.thumb.jpg.a4ddfdfc937f0dfb5e288ce7054b69eb.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:39 AM, heidih said:

Because they are not a starch they don't stick or mush together. Kinda like you dry fry mushrooms - no oil needed. 

I'll try this tomorrow night.  When I put the noodles, blotted dry, in a non stick pan, I think I am supposed to move them around while they dry?   How do I know when they are done?  Do they turn hard  and then soften again when whatever they are eaten is poured over them?   I will make a coconut curry shrimp dish which has a fair bit of liquid.  We have a pasta frying rack.  Would draping the say, angel hair pasta over the pasta racks and leaving them to air dry all day not get the same result?  We tried to dry the zeroodles in the air fryer that is on the Breville oven but that did not work.

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I'll try this tomorrow night.  When I put the noodles, blotted dry, in a non stick pan, I think I am supposed to move them around while they dry?   How do I know when they are done?  Do they get "firm" and then soften again when whatever they are eaten is poured over them?   I will make a coconut curry shrimp dish which has a fair bit of liquid.  We have a pasta frying rack.  Would draping the say, angel hair pasta over the pasta racks and leaving them to air dry all day not get the same result?  We tried to dry the zeroodles in the air fryer that is on the Breville oven but that did not work.

Not a long process.  They never get firm. . I used to always simmer them in water with my favorite soy sauce. It never changed the texture but (in my mind) added flavor. I think because visually they remind me of glass (mung bean noodles) I was expecting a "change" but they just get a little drier. Move them around occasionally while you are doing the other prep. As previously noted - no sticky starch so at least for me no pan stick. As a general re-cap I like them plain in soup and in a pan prep Iike them dried out as much as their nature allows. An acceptance issue - they are what they are and can only be slightly manipulated. Because I enjoy the texture I don't get too busy with making them be what they are not. 

• Like 1

Cheese and Bacon Cob to share whilst the little one had a full meal. It was quite unlike any cob dip I have encountered before - almost as though somewhere in its preparation the recipes for a dip and soup got mixed together. 

The sides however were of the liquid and hoppy variety so the Doup disappeared in due course. 

20190112_200122.thumb.jpg.5d4fd3fade367cf6438b58ecfc2ec8c8.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

After spending the last couple of weeks in New Zealand I am back in HK. And today is the first day since last winter I actually feel a bit chilly. Ok, might be because in my free time I run around in shorts and T-shirt and today we were at merely 17oC, with high humidity and a light drizzle now and then ...

Regardless, I felt really like warming, comforting food. As Grünkohl und Bregenwurst is pretty much out of the question (due to lack of raw material), I opted for the food of my second home: Oden.

My wife does not share my love for the simplistic, neither for molded fish cakes with spicy mustard - so we had a chicken/pork based bone broth with jujube and goji berries (courtesy of Haidilao, a big Chinese hotpot chain) in parallel, with all ingredients shared between both broths and dipping sauces or karashi (hot Japanese mustard), respectively. And some seasonal Japanese beer followed by hot sake (from my former hometown Kyoto) to go with it. Needless to say I am a veeeeery happy camper tonight 🤗

BB845DAF-284A-46D6-AAD5-A9655ACE080A.jpeg

44B17D5C-210D-4C7D-A584-7830D530D987.jpeg

F9128500-912B-4B47-AF6B-2B4B3B6AB068.jpeg

B18DC7C8-170D-47EC-9DFC-EDF5BDBADFAD.jpeg

1255376F-2421-4CEB-BBBD-E108FD267F6B.jpeg

84A22FFD-CB1C-42DA-AB40-D408522E0A8C.jpeg

D3346589-2A7C-4384-8912-228A109BE89E.jpeg

5C90A417-0037-40C3-8981-91DDA6D1306F.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 7

9 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I opted for the food of my second home: Oden.

You do know how to do it in style.  Loverly!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

@Duvel Haidilao does take out?

Actually, you can buy their signature broths in the (mainland China) supermarkets ...

I’ve got a couple more, but can’t run the spicy ones for my family 😋

• Like 2

It snowed.  A little.  I'm pretending that we're snowed in.  Next weekend is supposed to be snow, too, hopefully my snowed in dream will come true :)

Anyway, along with snow, it's Ronnie's birthday on Monday which means he gets to pick his favorite meals for a week--that started Friday night with chicken fried venison

IMG_5782.jpg.5831b2fa870b9ab26b0a23c605ef0c00.jpg

Last night was potato soup and grilled ham and cheese

IMG_5784.JPG.c55765df934e76b92a082426e7518c4a.JPG

IMG_5783.JPG.3c3f3a098005014c660fff03a5a0cf88.JPG

IMG_5785.JPG.4b82313bd4a8ee707ea8544f238c8f94.JPG

• Like 19