• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

28 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Another batch of Blasphemy Ribs, served with broccoli made in the IP.

I have finally figured out the real reason for their name. The blasphemous expressions  that come out of my mouth when I see the photos of your ribs would definitely get me excommunicated from any religious affiliation I might claim—even satanism. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Can I get the method for your sprouts, please?  That is exactly how I'd like mine to turn out!

450 degrees steam bake 30 minutes.  Need to watch closely in the last 5 minutes.  Make extra, they re heat in microwave beautifully.

• Thanks 1

Dinner tonight was shrimp burgers, baked sweet potatoes and CSO Brussels sprouts.  Accoutrement necessary for me to ingest baked sweet potatoes:

DSCN9047.thumb.JPG.f55feda01b344ea1ca35ea85c664bffa.JPG

😊

Cook’s Country Shrimp burgers:

DSCN9049.JPG.e278dcd5243c44cfb9ecae13a08779e2.JPG

Nice little sauce for the shrimp burgers:

DSCN9048.JPG.fbb901777efe2adc3e66dc4e8d07abd8.JPG

Just chili sauce, creamy horseradish and relish.

Plated:

DSCN9050.JPG.866f9ffd43e16c32742e58277ea54ef4.JPG

• Like 13

Pizza and Bread Bake Night.

Dough was hand-mixed yesterday and given a 24 hour cold fermentation. 1000g batch at 75% hydration. Took the dough out of the fridge around 2:30 PM and left it to come to room temperature.

Used half in the two pizzas and the other half for a large round baked in a Dutch Oven.

1318886779_ItalianSausageandMushroomPizzaJanuary8th20191.thumb.jpg.871981e12883a8ac118f2d6bbc43cb0e.jpg

1660555427_ItalianSausageandMushroomPizzaRimJanuary8th20191.thumb.jpg.9752cbf3be493a5134e980e2852bd62d.jpg

Italian sausage and mushroom for Moe and I

642665676_GreekPotatoPizzaJanuary8th2019.thumb.jpg.b4b91bb2f0fd125505b82d73d264d66d.jpg

1880994221_GreekPizzaRimJanuary8th20191.thumb.jpg.58deb81cdfa753281db6a3b52d084d12.jpg

and a Greek Potato pizza for Matt

124332245_DORoundJanuary8th20191.thumb.jpg.b7ce80edda4c0805ae71620bc936f862.jpg

• Like 21
  • Delicious 5

19 hours ago, Duvel said:

Yes, please !

Sorry, not trying to create a mystery.  I ran out of energy last night.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/153755-the-bread-topic-2016/?do=findComment&comment=2184839

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

23 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I too always rinse and dry the Zeroodles.  What does stir frying do for them?  Does it somehow make the sauce cling to them better? That is my only beef with them  - sauce does not stick to them.

Don't know what the "chemistry" of stir-frying is to stir-frying the Zeroodles. but I think the sauce DID cling to the pasta better. Maybe it's because it was Alfredo sauce. I'll have to try with a tomato-based one next time.

Watching a brand-name paper towel ad on TV made me crave wontons, but we're trying to reduce carb intake. Last night, I made up the filling with ground pork, shrimp, and water chestnuts, and stuffed deep-fried tofu and bell pepper.  These were pan-fried then steamed with chicken stock and oyster sauce. Added baby gai lan for the veg. Made Zeroodle fried rice, and all filled the craving.

257811965_StuffedTofuandPeppers8184.jpg.dac6edc19028424698457de5895acbfe.jpg

2118749361_ZeroodlesFriedRice8186.jpg.c827c0bcb8f6a78bc757c7f82d0d77d4.jpg

• Like 17

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I'll probably skip dinner tonight... I sort of get full from aroma when I cook- and tonight I have a date with 5lb of oxtails I intend to make into oxtail ragu (I had to splurge... cost me $9.50 the lot). Yesterday I prepared 5lb of tomato sauce, portioned off some to the freezer, and I'm about to start with ragu- wish me luck (I'm starting rather late). :$

• Like 12

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

41 minutes ago, Wolf said:

I'll probably skip dinner tonight... I sort of get full from aroma when I cook- and tonight I have a date with 5lb of oxtails I intend to make into oxtail ragu.

FINALLY...someone who understands how I feel as well.  If I have some serious cooking to do I make sure I stop for a cup of soup or a little something because once I start working with product between handling and smelling what I am cooking my brain tells me I already have eaten.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

So, for the eGullet picnic (we really need to have one), I nominate @HungryChris to make the sandwiches and @Ann_T to make the pizzas. 

@Wolf – hope we get to see a picture of the finished dish.  Sounds wonderful.

@robirdstx – lovely plating job.  That osso bucco looks so good and the spinach is perfect!

@chord – I do that all the time.  I’ll put the plates on the table and Mr. Kim will say, “Ah, we’re having beige”. 

Sweet and Sour Pork over rice with sautéed snow peas (with a little ponzu sauce to steam them to tenderness):

DSCN9051.JPG.f51bdd04aca1d9f9a7fb310497f2a487.JPG

The pork for the sweet and sour was done sous vide.  Not sure that it really made much of a difference to the final dish.  Also, none of those green peppers graced my plate.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 17
  • Haha 1

Finally some success making carrot noodles in the spiralizer! Per video, I boiled these for 4 minutes, not bad, but I'd rather have the Zeroodle noodles and rice.

Made Coconut Curry Chicken in the Instant Pot to go with the carrot noodles. I am so happy that I have fresh Kaffir Limes leaves on hand at all times - from my own tree!

1901751592_CarrotNoodles8187.jpg.97250c531b0bcab6e847196bdb0d7016.jpg

596100695_CoconutCurryChicken8188.jpg.06ccdda0da5c853634e4785bb0e903ea.jpg

• Like 16

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

two small cocktail pumpernickel bread squares with some miracle whip and a piece of turkey split between them. even that little bit was …...Meh...…...I tasted some of the pepper relish I have and......nothing.  even the cucumber, lime and mint drink I use at full strength I can barely taste it.  I can't wait until my sense of smell/taste comes back because I have no desire to bother eating.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

en4e1Xh.jpg?1

Two soups with my Instant Pot chicken stock.  On the left, creamless cream of cauliflower + roasted cauliflower, with saffron and espelette. Creaminess provided by rice cooked along, and then blended.

On the right, a pretty classic chicken soup. I used a small pasta in there; next time, it would have to be egg noodles a la my bubbe.

• Like 15

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

17 hours ago, suzilightning said:

FINALLY...someone who understands how I feel as well.  If I have some serious cooking to do I make sure I stop for a cup of soup or a little something because once I start working with product between handling and smelling what I am cooking my brain tells me I already have eaten.

For me it's less a feeling of "I've already eaten" than one of "I'm going to want something to eat eventually, but *not* what I've smelled for the last several hours while I prepped it."

Back in December I made the staff Christmas meal for the supermarket where I teach cooking classes (and may I say, parenthetically, that prepping a lavish holiday meal for 150-170 people on the morning of, with no advance prep possible, no assistants and a rigid 5 hour time budget, is a non-trivial exercise even for a professional?) and they were all quite surprised when I was reluctant to join them at the end. I had a small serving of broccoli salad, and made the excuse that we were eating with family soon after...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

21 minutes ago, chromedome said:

For me it's less a feeling of "I've already eaten" than one of "I'm going to want something to eat eventually, but *not* what I've smelled for the last several hours while I prepped it."

Back in December I made the staff Christmas meal for the supermarket where I teach cooking classes (and may I say, parenthetically, that prepping a lavish holiday meal for 150-170 people on the morning of, with no advance prep possible, no assistants and a rigid 5 hour time budget, is a non-trivial exercise even for a professional?) and they were all quite surprised when I was reluctant to join them at the end. I had a small serving of broccoli salad, and made the excuse that we were eating with family soon after...

That is how I often feel with something that took some to prepare.  Like last night's dinner.   By the time the lasagna was out of the oven, it was the last thing

I wanted to eat.   Of course it  didn't  help that it was a vegetarian lasagna.  

I had been promising my "vegetarian" son a vegetarian lasagna all week.  

Finally got around to it yesterday.

1933260240_ZucchiniLasagnaJanuary9th2019.thumb.jpg.049d5a01fae5365020cb07927859113b.jpg

Zucchini lasagna.  

2033891115_ZucchiniLasagnaJanuary9th20191.thumb.jpg.b709ed3e0fe3ed315ae51d8f4f94205f.jpg

Sometimes I make it with just layers of zucchini. Yesterdays had both zucchini and pasta layers. 

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

มัสมั่น

1127312438_massamanprawns.thumb.jpg.9f5889681211736cd526d836d4c9000d.jpg

Thai Massaman Prawn Curry.

Wild prawns, potato, peanuts, massaman curry paste, coconut cream, garlic, garlic chives. Massaman is normally a mild curry, but my mild and theirs is different so I added extra chilli. Served with rice and flying fish roe.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Two soups with my Instant Pot chicken stock.  On the left, creamless cream of cauliflower + roasted cauliflower, with saffron and espelette. Creaminess provided by rice cooked along, and then blended.

On the right, a pretty classic chicken soup. I used a small pasta in there; next time, it would have to be egg noodles a la my bubbe.

I enjoy the combo of the simmered  vegetable like broccholi or caulifower along with the roasted bits in a soup. It i3s cold. Off to "soup"

• Like 2

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

en4e1Xh.jpg?1

Saffron and espelette could save even cauliflower.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou