• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Our dinner tonight was beef enchiladas, potato nachos and peach cobbler.  Charlie asked for some peaches from Costco a while back and one jar didn't get eaten, so I made the cobbler.  The potato nachos is one of those recipes that you have to decide if you want to make it again and if so, what changes need to be made. 

20190107_173910.jpg

20190107_174253.jpg

• Like 16

15 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Our dinner tonight was beef enchiladas, potato nachos and peach cobbler.  Charlie asked for some peaches from Costco a while back and one jar didn't get eaten, so I made the cobbler.  The potato nachos is one of those recipes that you have to decide if you want to make it again and if so, what changes need to be made. 

20190107_173910.jpg

20190107_174253.jpg

How do you get the enchiladas and ice cream in the same shot?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

20190107_173910.jpg

20190107_174253.jpg

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

20190107_173910.jpg

20190107_174253.jpg

What are the jarred peaches from Costco like and what brand are they?  I find most canned fruit to be very heavy on the sugar syrup.  I find frozen fruit to often be not ripe.

@ElsieD here is a picture of the bottle. It came in a 4 pack.  Charlie ate all four, then asked for more and this one was left over. The only time I tasted the peaches was in the cobbler so I don't know how they taste alone but the cobbler was good.

20190107_192744.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3

Ha! I have several of the jars (labels removed) but they were fruit per friend who gifted them. She enjoyed them with oatmeal or yogurt for breakfast and said not overly sweet.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 10:12 AM, chromedome said:

I used to occasionally do "millionaire fish & chips" at one of my restaurants...one piece halibut, one piece salmon, one lobster tail.

Must remember that next time!
Trying to use up leftovers...

For Ukrainian Christmas, our nod was some perogies made by a friend. Fried up with bacon is our favourite way. Left over prime rib and some veg did the trick.
                                  1138630554_Perogies8174.jpg.a3301964a0dba6b9ef4a4bf96d2b664a.jpg

Tonight was attempt to use up the leftover filling from Shepherd's Pie. Trying to reduce carbs, so had some Zeroodle Fettuccini and Alfredo sauce with a big salad on the side.

1331896839_ShepherdsPieZeroodles8182.jpg.408f4ac15120cfcdbc380ff1779bf406.jpg

I actually read the Zeroodles package more carefully this time: drain well, dry with paper towel, stir-fry THEN add to sauce. Better!

• Like 13

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Nigel Slater, braised Lamb shanks with leeks and haricot beans, Tender (US edition pp 292,293):

Dinner01082019.png

Brussels Sprouts, 25 year aceto balsamico not shown.  (Not sure why, it made a lovely color contrast.)  Served with Gaahkoeh, Sami rye flatbread:

Gaahkoeh01082019.png

...which deserves a story to itself.

• Like 18

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2fuq0lG.jpg?2

Half a roasted cauliflower. Done in the Cuisinart Steam Oven, on convection bake.

piQiCmL.jpg

Tumminia busiate pasta integrale, with arugula pesto. Some of that roasted cauliflower. And I had a few prepped artichoke hearts in 

the fridge, so I roasted them as well.

• Like 11

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

10 hours ago, Dejah said:

I actually read the Zeroodles package more carefully this time: drain well, dry with paper towel, stir-fry THEN add to sauce. Better!

I too always rinse and dry the Zeroodles.  What does stir frying do for them?  Does it somehow make the sauce cling to them better? That is my only beef with them  - sauce does not stick to them.