• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Oven roasted Shake'n'Bake chicken drumsticks sprinkled with Peri peri seasoning for some kick, kale slaw, stir-fried vegetables, and purple-top turnip fries.

899216981_PeriPerichickenVeg8148.jpg.a37957f3ab867d048f841f51d5fab50f.jpg

• Like 19

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

53 minutes ago, chord said:

Chicken leg quarter over orecchiette with mushrooms and spinach

IMG_8494.thumb.jpg.5b126b4e214b3c2401fc0923110fbbfc.jpg

Beautiful!  There must be a secret to orecchiette I have not found.  However tomorrow I might just buy some spinach.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Beautiful!  There must be a secret to orecchiette I have not found.  However tomorrow I might just buy some spinach.

I didn't make the orecchiette. My 'secret' was to tip the store-bought box of dried pasta into a pot of boiling water.

Edited by chord (log)
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, chord said:

I didn't make the orecchiette. My 'secret' was to tip the store-bought box of dried pasta into a pot of boiling water.

I figured it was store-bought, as is mine.  Mine never looks so appetizing.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Pigeon pastilla ("pie") ordered a day in advance.

VPDP0Je.jpg

BvnyQvi.jpg

Also, some fruits (at different times).

GwdHiYB.jpg

"Prickly pear".

dCbE03r.jpg

The inside. Stains everything and has quite a few seeds.

96MdU0l.jpg

That looks awesome/  on the prickly pears ( and I knew better )  I thought I could sneak one off easily from the cactus .. doh  and those spines are bad.  I tried every thing to get those things out, finely I used some sandpaper and abraded the heck out of my fingers..it was the real fine ones.

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

For some reason, I was in a cicchetti frame of mind tonight. Hot wings, leftover turkey stuffing with gravy from NYD, deviled eggs, prosciutto stuffed cherry peppers and smoked salmon spread with crackers.

HC

i cicchetti sono buoni  My kind of dinner
  • Like 1

Found a couple split smoked mullets at a local fishmonger while picking up dinner last week.   Cleaned both fish and make a fish salad with one of them for a group NYE meal.   It was well received.  

Saw I still had a container of cleaned fish tonight so had to whip up another fish salad.  Wife was at a conference so I ate standing at the kitchen counter

image.jpeg

• Like 16

22 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

King crab.

I love the taste but often find then really salty. What do you do? I am jealous of some of those blogger posts where they get a live one in a Chinese restaurant cooked for the table. 

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

Found a couple split smoked mullets at a local fishmonger while picking up dinner last week.   Cleaned both fish and make a fish salad with one of them for a group NYE meal.   It was well received.  

Saw I still had a container of cleaned fish tonight so had to whip up another fish salad.  Wife was at a conference so I ate standing at the kitchen counter

image.jpeg

I eat at a kitchen counter a lot. I designed a high one for just that. Comfortable from a stool or just standing ...and out of reach of Henry the ravenous Airedale. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

First round of medication and feeling washed out and not wanting anything but needed SOMETHING. Beef stock from the freezer, about a pint, then some scallions, grated ginger, sriracha, a bit of hoisin, a piece of that venison thinly sliced then made into matchsticks.  Brought to a boil and swirled in a beaten egg and finished with some rice wine vinegar.   Just what I needed.

John has been pulling leftovers from freezer and fridge - it was pasta with leftover chicken paprikash.

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 1/2/2019 at 10:21 AM, Kim Shook said:

I’m afraid I don’t have anything but Christmas Eve and New Year’s day dinners.  Christmas night we ended up in the ER with my mother.  She was admitted and has been in the hospital since then.  So it’s been back and forth to there every day.  She’s improving and going into rehab care again.  Hoping to do some real cooking once all the leftovers are gone!

Christmas Eve – Ham:

DSCN8959.JPG.24a17b11c4d93863b114d6a3b107c1cf.JPG

Pineapple upside down biscuits:

DSCN8960.JPG.08e2c445ea14fb2656a89b4ebf92acb6.JPG

We made little sandwiches with the ham and these biscuits and they were wonderful.

Salad with bleu cheese dressing and my dad’s Paprika dressing:

DSCN8961.JPG.d07f06c5da54c604b8f87645321b6b39.JPG

DSCN8962.JPG.42ee224037abfbbf420e354b4bec84c2.JPG

Cheeses:

DSCN8963.JPG.26b206c4a1d73c05674cfe24c86dc772.JPG

There was also assorted crackers and rolls and sour cream cheddar potatoes.

New Year’s dinner – cornbread:

DSCN9025.JPG.f92120fb2cb10220ea01dd8cfea0d834.JPG

This was my great grandmother’s recipe that I’ve never tried before.  She was from New Orleans and her family had a cook, so she never learned to cook very well.  She was adored by her family, but everyone admits she couldn’t cook at all.  But her cornbread recipe was liked and remembered.  We liked it a lot.  Just a classic cornbread, but with a little sugar. 

Ham, scalloped tomatoes, black eyed peas and turnip greens with plenty of pot likker to dunk the cornbread in:

DSCN9028.thumb.JPG.18d81329910bf44d38caba17df089680.JPG

Scalloped tomatoes:

DSCN9026.JPG.2e4a6d9af4223c787641459e1a0b0193.JPG

Jessica’s serving:

DSCN9027.JPG.1f02f03a0b0e5e5bf0c2cc56bd9ea8ee.JPG

She doesn’t care for any of this, so she had enough for luck.  Then she ate McDonalds. 😁

Those biscuits look interesting.  Are they regular yeast biscuits with pineapple and what looks like a maraschino cherry on the bottom?

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

Those biscuits look interesting.  Are they regular yeast biscuits with pineapple and what looks like a maraschino cherry on the bottom?

I am embarrassed to admit that they are just "whomp" biscuits - i.e. Pillsbury biscuits in a tube.  Here's the recipe.  I'm quite sure that they would be fantastic with homemade biscuits!  

• Like 1

Picked up AAA Angus Prime Rib roasts at Walmart before Christmas - $5.99 / lb. Can't lose. This is the second time I've stocked up, and no regrets!

A single rib seasoned with just Montreal Steak Spice. Eaten with mashed cauliflower, steamed broccoli, and mixed beg for the hubby.

2068839040_PrimeRibmashedcaulif8150.jpg.bcd264ccb4022232b843712e12656cf8.jpg

Then fell off the low-carb wagon tonight and made Shepherd's Pie with mashed taters. I always love pie crust on the bottom of my shepherd's pie, so I made pastry!
Top of the mashed taters was sprinkled with spicy smoked paprika.

863569976_ShepherdsPie8156.jpg.01248e9e8ae86c9795da4e8e31fb6456.jpg

The pie was made in a deep casserole dish by my potter friend. I love these as the pastry always stays crispy regardless of the juicy fruit or meat filling.

1194223224_SheperdsSalad8158.jpg.16f2533b2519860c1590cebd1642350c.jpg

• Like 24

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com