• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

robirdstx

robirdstx

42 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@robirdstx How many people would your goose serve for dinner? Remember what the bird weighed?

Can’t say how many our goose would have served, but I have been surprised at the amount of meat this bird has given us. The bird weighed about 10 1/2 pounds. The first meal was the legs for two. I did not finish my portion. The second meal was a half breast shared with the two of us, with a bit leftover that I had for breakfast the next day. When I pulled the rest of the meat together, I had just under a pound. Four ounces were used for the goose and noodles soup. Two cups were used in tonight’s pot pie, which made 8 servings, and most of the other half of the breast has gone into the freezer for a future use, along with some of the skin to make cracklins. The goose also gave us lots of fat and stock. Three cups of fat and a quart of stock have been added to the freezer, along with the carcass to make more stock when needed. A very generous goose!

robirdstx

robirdstx

41 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@robirdstx How many people would your goose serve for dinner? Remember what the bird weighed?

Can’t say how many our goose would have served, but I have been surprised at the amount of meat this bird has given us. The bird weighed about 10 1/2 pounds. The first meal was the legs for two. I did not finish my portion. The second meal was a half breast shared with the two of us, with a bit leftover that I had for breakfast the next day. When I pulled the rest of the meat together, I had just under a pound. Four ounces were used for the goose and noodles soup. Two cups were used in tonight’s pot pie, which made 8 servings, and the other half of the breast has gone into the freezer for a future use, along with some of the skin to make cracklins. The goose also gave us lots of fat and stock. Three cups of fat and a quart of stock have been added to the freezer, along with the carcass to make more stock when needed. A very generous goose!

robirdstx

robirdstx

40 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Can’t say how many our goose would have served, but I have been surprised at the amount of meat this bird has given us. The bird weighed about 10 1/2 pounds. The first meal was the legs for two. I did not finish my portion. The second meal was a half breast shared with the two of us, with a bit leftover that I had for breakfast the next day. When I pulled the rest of the meat together, I had just under a pound. Four ounces were used for the goose and noodles soup. Two cups were used in tonight’s pot pie and the other half of the breast has gone into the freezer for a future use, along with some of the skin to make cracklins. The goose also gave us lots of fat and stock. Three cups of fat and a quart of stock have been added to the freezer, along with the carcass to make more stock when needed. A very generous goose!

robirdstx

robirdstx

28 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Can’t say how many our goose would have served, but I have been surprised at the amount of meat this bird has given us. The bird weighed about 10 1/2 pounds. The first meal was the thighs for two. I did not finish my portion. The second meal was a half breast shared with the two of us, with a bit leftover that I had for breakfast the next day. When I pulled the rest of the meat together, I had just under a pound. Four ounces were used for the goose and noodles soup. Two cups were used in tonight’s pot pie and the other half of the breast has gone into the freezer for a future use, along with some of the skin to make cracklins. The goose also gave us lots of fat and stock. Three cups of fat and a quart of stock have been added to the freezer, along with the carcass to make more stock when needed. A very generous goose!