• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

@Margaret Pilgrim - what is "family dressing"?  

I definitely over-shopped for my friend’s visit earlier this week.  Lots of cheese that wasn’t eaten when she was here meant a cheese and bits and pieces dinner last night.  Cheeses:

DSCN0091.JPG.f45172b39cffce563e23695aa02057dc.JPG

From 12 o’clock – Cheddar, Spring Brook Farm Tarentaise, bleu, fromage d’Affinois, Appalachian, and manchego.  The plate has some kind of truffled cheese on it.  I detest truffles in any form (other than chocolate😁), so I was making sure that it wouldn’t touch anything I might want to eat. 

Sausage and crackers:

DSCN0092.JPG.4fb6c47cc3f51b130bb3eab588b13979.JPG

The upper right crackers are ones that I make with frozen dumplings (flat, like noodles) and the sausage is beef from Sausage Works in NC.  Also:

DSCN0090.JPG.b9323f2339c06c81f166201c2f08ec70.JPG

DSCN0084.JPG.9e1b95ef8f9d445c46678e576618a323.JPG

Jessica’s contribution:

DSCN0093.thumb.JPG.28b42c12479407baf7b50ca4752dbf27.JPG

Rotel dip and chips.

Fruit and salad:

DSCN0094.JPG.0f33161764ac253dac443f230956abe8.JPG

Hard deli rolls and pimento cheese sausage balls:

DSCN0095.JPG.5c0fb1b103122a16ea59694edea4c62e.JPG

We still have a LOT of cheese left.

Now I have a little story for you.  So, Mr. Kim, Jessica and I are having dinner at a favorite Chinese restaurant tonight.  Jess and I share the Pupu, as always, and she orders Crispy Beef with Orange Peel as her main course.  Our food comes.  Jessica puts a couple of pieces on her plate and I take a piece of hers, too.  I eat mine – it’s good.  I plan on eating more.  She decides to get up and wash her hands.  While she is gone, the waitress comes by and says, “Did I give her chicken or beef?”.  We look at the plate and sure enough, it is chicken.  We didn’t even notice.  Ok, easily fixed.  Waitress says, “Did she eat it?”.  Forgetting that I ate a piece, we say, “no”.  So, the waitress, using a large spoon and HER FINGERS takes the two pieces of chicken off Jessica’s plate and puts them on the main plate.  She puts down Jessica’s ACTUAL order (beef) and carries the chicken plate down to another table and serves it to them.  Let that sink in.  Mr. Kim and I sit there appalled.  I am smothering a fit of giggles and Mr. Kim is so flummoxed that he knocks his entire glass of water into his lap.  At this point, Jessica comes back to the table and seeing us, says, “What’s wrong?”.  We explain and she says, “Well, I ate the pineapple and the cherry off the plate and I’m pretty sure there is a maraschino cherry stem on that plate”. 🤣

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

@Margaret Pilgrim - what is "family dressing"?  

I definitely over-shopped for my friend’s visit earlier this week.  Lots of cheese that wasn’t eaten when she was here meant a cheese and bits and pieces dinner last night.  Cheeses:

From 12 o’clock – Cheddar, Spring Brook Farm Tarentaise, bleu, fromage d’Affinois, Appalachian, and manchego.  The plate has some kind of truffled cheese on it.  I detest truffles in any form (other than chocolate😁), so I was making sure that it wouldn’t touch anything I might want to eat. 

Sausage and crackers:

The upper right crackers are ones that I make with frozen dumplings (flat, like noodles) and the sausage is beef from Sausage Works in NC.  Also:

Jessica’s contribution:

Rotel dip and chips.

Fruit and salad:

Hard deli rolls and pimento cheese sausage balls:

We still have a LOT of cheese left.

Now I have a little story for you.  So, Mr. Kim, Jessica and I are having dinner at a favorite Chinese restaurant tonight.  Jess and I share the Pupu, as always, and she orders Crispy Beef with Orange Peel as her main course.  Our food comes.  Jessica puts a couple of pieces on her plate and I take a piece of hers, too.  I eat mine – it’s good.  I plan on eating more.  She decides to get up and wash her hands.  While she is gone, the waitress comes by and says, “Did I give her chicken or beef?”.  We look at the plate and sure enough, it is chicken.  We didn’t even notice.  Ok, easily fixed.  Waitress says, “Did she eat it?”.  Forgetting that I ate a piece, we say, “no”.  So, the waitress, using a large spoon and HER FINGERS takes the two pieces of chicken off Jessica’s plate and puts them on the main plate.  She puts down Jessica’s ACTUAL order (beef) and carries the chicken plate down to another table and serves it to them.  Let that sink in.  Mr. Kim and I sit there appalled.  I am smothering a fit of giggles and Mr. Kim is so flummoxed that he knocks his entire glass of water into his lap.  At this point, Jessica comes back to the table and seeing us, says, “What’s wrong?”.  We explain and she says, “Well, I ate the pineapple and the cherry off the plate and I’m pretty sure there is a maraschino cherry stem on that plate”. 🤣