• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to add a photo of the main course

I prepared dinner for a group of friends the other night.   I've made and posted about all these dishes before but unfortunately managed to take only one photo from this meal.

Cocktail: Bound by Venus from Batch Cocktails by Maggie Hoffman.  As written, it's rosemary-infused gin, fino sherry and yellow Chartreuse.  I made both that original and a vodka version as I know there will be vodka-only drinkers in the group.  Some of the vodka drinkers allowed that the gin version was more flavorful - duh! 
Nibbles: Brined and Roasted Almonds and Frico from Six Seasons by Joshua McFadden.  I used more than half a pound of Red Cow Parmigiano Reggiano to make the Frico.  Not sure it was worth the investment but they were excellent salty snacks to go with the cocktails. 
Starter: Burrata Caprese with Peaches, Tomato & Basil from Dinner, Changing the Game by Melissa Clark.  Four kinds of heirloom tomatoes and peaches from the farmers market with a drizzle of basil/lemon/olive oil dressing.  So pretty.

1432753806_IMG_1557(1).thumb.jpg.2dc173a25594106e423baefaad01d03d.jpg
Main: Pork Shoulder in Red-Curry-Braised Watermelon from Deep Run Roots by Vivian Howard.  Pork choices at the farmers market were limited so I went with a nice pork butt roast and cut it up.  Cooking this ahead and reheating worked very well.
Rice - I made the version from Shaya's Red Beans & Rice but with Massa Organics brown rice because I know it reheats well and it has nice flavor
Side: Raw Corn with Walnuts, Mint & Chiles from Six Seasons was a good side that didn't need cooking

This photo is actually from a plate of leftovers but gives you the idea:

IMG_1281.thumb.jpg.17923da23c17c3b06b80f7cc51310109.jpg

Dessert: Peaches in Chilled Moscato from How to Eat a Peach by Diana Henry made a light, elegant ending

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I prepared dinner for a group of friends the other night.   I've made and posted about all these dishes before but unfortunately managed to take only one photo from this meal.

Cocktail: Bound by Venus from Batch Cocktails by Maggie Hoffman.  As written, it's rosemary-infused gin, fino sherry and yellow Chartreuse.  I made both that original and a vodka version as I know there will be vodka-only drinkers in the group.  Some of the vodka drinkers allowed that the gin version was more flavorful - duh! 
Nibbles: Brined and Roasted Almonds and Frico from Six Seasons by Joshua McFadden.  I used more than half a pound of Red Cow Parmigiano Reggiano to make the Frico.  Not sure it was worth the investment but they were excellent salty snacks to go with the cocktails. 
Starter: Burrata Caprese with Peaches, Tomato & Basil from Dinner, Changing the Game by Melissa Clark.  Four kinds of heirloom tomatoes and peaches from the farmers market with a drizzle of basil/lemon/olive oil dressing.  So pretty.

1432753806_IMG_1557(1).thumb.jpg.2dc173a25594106e423baefaad01d03d.jpg
Main: Pork Shoulder in Red-Curry-Braised Watermelon from Deep Run Roots by Vivian Howard.  Pork choices at the farmers market were limited so I went with a nice pork butt roast and cut it up.  Cooking this ahead and reheating worked very well.
Rice - I made the version from Shaya's Red Beans & Rice but with Massa Organics brown rice because I know it reheats well and it has nice flavor
Side: Raw Corn with Walnuts, Mint & Chiles from Six Seasons was a good side that didn't need cooking
Dessert: Peaches in Chilled Moscato from How to Eat a Peach by Diana Henry made a light, elegant ending