• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

9 hours ago, Smithy said:

I'm playing with my new Cuisinart Combo Convection Steam Oven and realizing / recognizing that it won't replace my air fryer...and that I need a separate toaster. My DH quipped this morning, "I wonder how many of your eGullet friends have run themselves out of counter space?" 

Tonight it was CSO-fried fish and air-fryer-fried mini-hash rounds, along with microwaved asparagus and toaster-toasted toast. A lot of appliances were in use, at staggered times to keep the goddesses of the breaker box happy.

This was a new brand of prepared fish for us. I cooked it in the CSO, 450F for 18 minutes, flipping once through as recommended. In my opinion it still wasn't as crisp as it should be, so I put a couple of pieces in the air fryer and crisped them up more. The color was better and crisper (see upper right picture in the collage for comparison) but the fish flesh was pretty much reduced to smithereens, or maybe flinders, or even cotton filaments. The mini-hash rounds were perfect. The asparagus was nicely cooked but inadequate in quantity.

Next, I may haul out the deep fryer I picked up for a song at a garage sale and compare its results to these. The point, of course, is to use less oil...but if the results are unsatisfying, why bother?

I ran out of counter space until I moved everything into the basement except my coffee maker and Breville toaster oven. I use both of those often enough to keep them out.  The rest of the stuff is getting dusty downstairs.  I know lots of people love the steam oven but mine might end up in a yard sale someday. PS my KA mixer is out too but it isn't on a "counter". It's got its own island stand .

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

9 hours ago, Smithy said:

I'm playing with my new Cuisinart Combo Convection Steam Oven and realizing / recognizing that it won't replace my air fryer...and that I need a separate toaster. My DH quipped this morning, "I wonder how many of your eGullet friends have run themselves out of counter space?" 

Tonight it was CSO-fried fish and air-fryer-fried mini-hash rounds, along with microwaved asparagus and toaster-toasted toast. A lot of appliances were in use, at staggered times to keep the goddesses of the breaker box happy.

This was a new brand of prepared fish for us. I cooked it in the CSO, 450F for 18 minutes, flipping once through as recommended. In my opinion it still wasn't as crisp as it should be, so I put a couple of pieces in the air fryer and crisped them up more. The color was better and crisper (see upper right picture in the collage for comparison) but the fish flesh was pretty much reduced to smithereens, or maybe flinders, or even cotton filaments. The mini-hash rounds were perfect. The asparagus was nicely cooked but inadequate in quantity.

Next, I may haul out the deep fryer I picked up for a song at a garage sale and compare its results to these. The point, of course, is to use less oil...but if the results are unsatisfying, why bother?

I ran out of counter space until I moved everything into the basement except my coffee maker and Breville toaster oven. I use both of those often enough to keep them out.  The rest of the stuff is getting dusty downstairs.  I know lots of people love the steam oven but mine might end up in a yard sale someday.