• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Okanagancook

Okanagancook

Ok, there are rules associated with our pig roast.

It is a 'picking' pig.  This means one can pull meat from between the shoulders and the ham...basically the belly.

You can't use anything except your fingers.  No napkins as an aid.  No forks or knives.  Just fingers.  Someone showed up with a hemostat one year.  It which was promptly confiscated.

The reason being, if it doesn't come off easily, then the meat isn't done.

Usually the pig is picked clean with the ribs showing...ribs are fair game also.

The cracking is usually shared with early comers but this year I think our family/helpers ate most of it 😬..there were 7 of us.

No feeding the dog (we usually hang a sign around the dog's neck "I hate pig") 😃

In the morning you know you've been to a pig roast because your fingers are burnt, you smell like smoke and you are a little hung over.

Here is a picture of a friend just getting started.  She has a nice pull of belly going.

DSC_0080_2.thumb.jpg.d2159b84b7302580795ce44ba25c5508.jpg

Okanagancook

Okanagancook

Ok, there are rules associated with our pig roast.

It is a 'picking' pig.  This means one can pull meat from between the shoulders and the ham...basically the belly.

You can't use anything except your fingers.  No napkins as an aid.  No forks or knives.  Just fingers.  Someone showed up with a hemostat one year.  It which was promptly confiscated.

The reason being, if it doesn't come off easily, then the meat isn't done.

Usually the pig is picked clean with the ribs showing...ribs are fair game also.

The cracking is usually shared with early comers but this year I think our family/helpers ate most of it 😬..there were 7 of us.

No feeding the dog (we usually hang a sign around the dog's neck "I hate pig") 😃

In the morning you know you've been to a pig roast because your fingers are burnt, you smell like smoke and you are a little hung over.

Here is a pick of a friend just getting started.  She has a nice pull of belly going.

DSC_0080_2.thumb.jpg.d2159b84b7302580795ce44ba25c5508.jpg