• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

5 hours ago, heidih said:

I first had them grilled by a Taiwanese neighbor bout 30 years ago. I tend to marinate my own but Korean markets have them pre-marinated along with other meats. Not packaged. You indicate how much you want and they put it in plastic bag for you. If one enjoys knawing on gristly bone bits they are a treat along with the flavorful meat. 

When we order them at restaurants, they bring out scissors for us to cut the meat away.   When I met my wife and her family.. and we had a restaurant shortly afterward, it was 35 to 40 years ago and short ribs were always bought cut between the bones and the meat was cut by the cook according like so there was a long strip of meat with the bone at the end. It was not until my son was about 10 or 12 when I first saw it cut through the bones like it is now.  Of course that was in the middle of Kansas and it was probably seen on the coasts sooner but when in the Asian market, and it is cut like that, it is called LA cut.  

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

4 hours ago, heidih said:

I first had them grilled by a Taiwanese neighbor bout 30 years ago. I tend to marinate my own but Korean markets have them pre-marinated along with other meats. Not packaged. You indicate how much you want and they put it in plastic bag for you. If one enjoys knawing on gristly bone bits they are a treat along with the flavorful meat. 

When we order them at restaurants, they bring out scissors for us to cut the meat away.   When I met my wife and her family.. and we had a restaurant shortly afterward, it was 35 to 40 years ago and short ribs were always bought cut between the bones and the meat was cut according like so there was a long strip of meat with the bone at the end. It was not until my son was about 10 or 12 when I first saw it cut through the bones like it is now.  Of course that was in the middle of Kansas and it was probably seen on the coasts sooner but when in the Asian market, and it is cut like that, it is called LA cut.