• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

eugenep

eugenep

5 hours ago, Owtahear said:

Nice.  I got a leg of lamb from Elysian Fields (Pure Bred Lamb) and was thinking of making Pommes Anna as a side for Easter next week.   Was going to use Yukon Golds as my potatoes.    What was your recipe?  

For Pommes Anna I used the Melissa Clark version at https://cooking.nytimes.com/guides/33-how-to-make-pommes-anna

Well. Sort of. I used red bliss potatoes instead and it worked out okay. I think I should have given it less heat since it was something like 1 lb of potatoes rather than the 6-7 lbs she called for. I believe Yukons and Red Bliss are similar 

I was planning to do a leg of lamb also and Pommes Anna again for Easter. This meal was the test recipe actually. That's kinda cool that we came to the same judgment about what to cook for Easter. 

I was going to do a rolled lamb based on Cook's Illustrated recipe. 

My biggest worry is geting the lamb leg. I think it's possible to order it from the grocery store. My girlfriend said she'll try to get it for me but that's my biggest prob so far. 

Hope to see your pics of the food on Easter if you decide to make it. I'm just getting boring lamb leg from a US producer bc it's grain fed and not grass fed (which would give it more gamier flavor which is not preferred according to Cook's Illus) 

eugenep

eugenep

Nice.  I got a leg of lamb from Elysian Fields (Pure Bred Lamb) and was thinking of making Pommes Anna as a side for Easter next week.   Was going to use Yukon Golds as my potatoes.    What was your recipe?  

For Pommes Anna I used the Melissa Clark version at https://cooking.nytimes.com/guides/33-how-to-make-pommes-anna

Well. Sort of. I used red bliss potatoes instead and it worked out okay. I think I should have given it less heat since it was something like 1 lb of potatoes rather than the 6-7 lbs she called for. I believe Yukons and Red Bliss are similar 

I was planning to do a leg of lamb also and Pommes Anna again for Easter. This meal was the test recipe actually. That's kinda cool that we came to the same judgment about what to cook for Easter. 

My biggest worry is geting the lamb leg. I think it's possible to order it from the grocery store. My girlfriend said she'll try to get it for me but that's my biggest prob so far. 

Good to see your pics of both on Easter if you decide to make it. I'm just getting boring lamb leg from a US producer bc it's grain fed and not grass fed (which would give it more gamier flavor which is not preferred according to Cook's Illus) 

eugenep

eugenep

Well. Sort of. I used red bliss potatoes instead and it worked out okay. I think I should have given less heat since it was something like 1 lb of potatoes rather than the 6-7 lbs she called for. I believe Yukons and Red Bliss are similar 

I was planning to do a leg of lamb also and Pommes Anna again for Easter. This was the test recipe actually. That's kinda cool that we can to the same conclusion. 

Good to see your pics of both on Easter if you decide to make it. I'm just getting boring lamb leg from a US producer bc it's grain fed and not grass fed (which would give it more gamier flavor which is not preferred according to Cook's Illus)