• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Not visually appealing perhaps, but this is packed with flavour.

xifan.thumb.jpg.7e75d7fb0c8e6f25a6617a26b2a67262.jpg

This is a form of congee or rice porridge known as 稀饭/稀飯  (Mandarin: xī fàn;  Cantonese: hei1 faan6), which literally translates as 'watery rice'. It is thinner in consistence than regular congee - (Mand: zhōu; Cant: zuk1)

This version has leeks, carrots and poached chicken lurking under the surface. The rice is cooked in a long cooked gelatinous chicken stock made from the carcase and trimmings (including feet and head) of the organic bird which I had for yesterday's dinner. Finished with dried chilli flakes.

liuzhou

liuzhou

This is a form of congee or rice porridge known as 稀饭/稀飯  (Mandarin: xī fàn;  Cantonese: hei1 faan6), which literally translates as 'watery rice'.

This version has leeks, carrots and poached chicken lurking under the surface. The rice is cooked in a long cooked gelatinous chicken stock made from the carcase and trimmings (including feet and head) of the organic bird which I had for yesterday's dinner. Finished with dried chilli flakes.

liuzhou

liuzhou

This is a form of congee or rice porridge known as 稀饭/稀飯  (Mandarin: xī fàn  Cantonese: hei1 faan6, which literally translates as 'watery rice'.