• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

Moe's breakfast. Eggs poached in salsa.

2089736187_PoachedeggsinsalsaJanuary20th2019.thumb.jpg.53b177035b77344a2b9f970a83031d00.jpg

I had some leftover salsa that I had made last night so I heated it up and poached Moe a couple of farm fresh eggs. Topped with a little grated cheese and served with blue corn tortilla chips.

Apparently it taste better than it looks because he really enjoyed it.

• Like 9

A repeat of a favourite meal.

1263219039_RoastTopSirloinJanuary212019.thumb.jpg.bf846fb1b90cfc0c0c7fbdff5f439606.jpg

We had this same dinner at the beginning of the month. I pulled the other half of a Sterling Silver Top Sirloin roast out of the freezer on Saturday. Presalted it Saturday night with the intention of roasting it for dinner last night. Gave Moe the choice of having it for Sunday dinner or for Monday's breakfast.

He choose breakfast. So that is what we had this morning.

1317525400_YorkshirePUddingJanuary21st20191.thumb.jpg.e68c16bce4deb16ae78273223d8afd55.jpg

With our typical sides of mashed potatoes, peas and Yorkshire pudding.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

@Ann_T, I swear I gain weight just looking at your photos. What glorious meals you produce!

• Like 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

E780799E-BEA7-41BC-BFAA-A6CD5B2E6324.thumb.jpeg.0b038a4388d691bed3c6bcee3b1b17e8.jpeg

An onigirazu has become my standard breakfast!   Today it is sliced and fried kielbasa with an HP and mayo dipping sauce.  

I slice up a chub of kielbasa, freeze it on an open tray and then pour it into a Ziploc bag.  With frozen rice and frozen meat I can have breakfast ready in 10 minutes.   But I do need to spread my wings a bit more.  

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N - a question about all of your lovely wrapped up things that you are doing lately.  Do they stay hot in the time it takes to wrap them? (You are perhaps more deft than I, but I know it would take a few minutes for me).  Or do you heat them after wrapping?

We had out of town company for the weekend.  Breakfast on Saturday was Sunday Morning Casserole:

DSCN9090.JPG.6f2befca81598d6ca25b90c38c6463dc.JPG

Egg, bread, sausage, cheese and sliced red skinned potatoes.  I love something I can put together the night before.  This one is especially nice with the potatoes.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

@Kim Shook

SMS  Id like to have right now !

Im pleased you did not peel the potatoes 

I don't  for RedBlis nor Russests

lots of flavor in the skins I thing

and more time for a taste of M.R. !

would your share the Rx ?

thanks 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pasta with Cauliflower, Butter and Pepper from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone 

IMG_0044.thumb.jpg.78c95c85b2845aeab6d90be7849d292b.jpg

The unusual element for me in this recipe was grainy mustard.  I used a generous amount of it and also roasted the cauliflower instead of boiling it.

Could have put an egg on top but I'll save that for the leftovers. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

59 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

- a question about all of your lovely wrapped up things that you are doing lately.  Do they stay hot in the time it takes to wrap them? (You are perhaps more deft than I, but I know it would take a few minutes for me).  Or do you heat them after wrapping?

They are assembled on a piece of plastic wrap which you use at the end to overwrap them.  They are then left tightly wrapped for 5 to 10 minutes. They are still lovely and warm by the time I cut them down the middle, remove the plastic wrap and enjoy them. Initially of course it takes longer to assemble them but after three or four one becomes quite adept at it.   The rice mould makes a huge difference. 

• Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Pasta with Cauliflower, Butter and Pepper from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone 

IMG_0044.thumb.jpg.78c95c85b2845aeab6d90be7849d292b.jpg

The unusual element for me in this recipe was grainy mustard.  I used a generous amount of it and also roasted the cauliflower instead of boiling it.

Could have put an egg on top but I'll save that for the leftovers. 

Aha! This is what I needed instead of tomatoes for a brussel sprouts pasta dish I made last night!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook

SMS  Id like to have right now !

Im pleased you did not peel the potatoes 

I don't  for RedBlis nor Bussests

lots of flavor in the skins I thing

and more time for a taste of M.R. !

would your share the Rx ?

thanks 

Always happy to share!  Here you go!

• Like 1

89A51CA9-4507-4150-BCBA-CFDC3D6504A6.thumb.jpeg.f405a22f4a8b9dc5117b0ff372da056e.jpeg

Planned over chicken livers with garlic chives and Campari tomatoes. This reheated beautifully in the Cuisinart steam oven at 325°F steam bake for 15 minutes. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

@blue_dolphin That grainy mustard does look good....on my list to cook now.  If you like cauliflower and pasta dishes, D. Madison has a recipe in her Vegetable Literacy cookbook.  Page 144:  Cauliflower with saffron, pepper flakes, plenty of parsley and pasta.

The dish is finished with crumbled feta cheese or skip the feta and add some shrimp sautéed in garlic.  She calls for steamed cauliflower but I like your idea of roasting it instead. 

One could added some fried capers a la "Prune's" cauliflower recipe.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

That grainy mustard does look good....on my list to cook now.

In the interest of full disclosure 🙃, after draining the pasta, I returned it to the pan, added the butter, mustard (generous measure, ~ 2-3X what the recipe specified), chili flakes, parsley and half the cheese over low heat and added a ladle of pasta cooking water to make enough light sauce to coat the cauliflower, which I added last. I used the Dry Breadcrumbs from Six Seasons that I had on hand.  I halved the amount of butter since I used some oil to roast the cauliflower. 

Edited to add that I will check out that Veg Literacy recipe as this is a good time of year for cauliflower around here.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Unsweetened home made buffalo milk yoghurt with banana.

Love the bowl. The rest…meh. 😂

My 2004 eG Blog