• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

Kind of an @Ann_T breakfast here.  No.  Sadly, it's not her gorgeous bread 😢 but something I'd intended for the previous night's dinner.  I got hungry and decided to go with a quick 10 min pasta dish instead of waiting for the potatoes to roast but I had more patience this morning.

Mashed sweet potato with watercress and watercress butter, adapted from the Six Seasons recipe that uses rutabaga and a CSO chicken thigh

IMG_1659.thumb.jpeg.b943f3803495447d4d6e87af9be8024d.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 7

This morning I ate the 西湖肉燕 (xī hú ròu yàn) I mentioned a few days ago in this post, but this time treated it the the way nature (or at least, the manufacturer) intended. In a light soup of chicken stock, garlic, chilli and scallion. Photographed through steam.

20191203_111341.thumb.jpg.0cb683374922f10d09dc8aa60ff2505e.jpg

20191203_111539.thumb.jpg.f19f08f269714fa472491ee55f7ac9c6.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Oh my, that middle egg with the runny yolk is suitable for framing! 

Smashed sweet potatoes with maple and sour cream from Alison Roman's Nothing Fancy. Recipe available online here.  

IMG_1668.thumb.jpeg.df249ca055b38e82bec77221052718e8.jpeg

I had some leftover, already roasted sweet potatoes that made it easy to cut this recipe down to a single serving so I could test it out for breakfast. It's a winner and I'll certainly make it again. I love how crispy the sweet potato skins got.
My changes: I'd already sliced my sweet potatoes in half for roasting so I didn't get the "smashed" effect. I didn't have toasted buckwheat groats but the recipe only calls for a small amount so I broke up some seedy gluten-free jalapeño crackers I found in the back of the cupboard and I think they provided the requisite crunch. Otherwise, I followed the recipe.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Smashed sweet potatoes with maple and sour cream from Alison Roman's Nothing Fancy. Recipe available online here.  

I have bookmarked the recipe believing that lime can only improve sweet potatoes. I had another recipe book marked at some point that included lime but I can no longer find that one. Let’s hope I manage to make this before I lose the recipe, too!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I have bookmarked the recipe believing that lime can only improve sweet potatoes. I had another recipe book marked at some point that included lime but I can no longer find that one. Let’s hope I manage to make this before I lose the recipe, too!

I think it's well worth trying.  I followed her direction to make sure the sour cream tasted tart and salty (and peppery) and it was a good contrast to the potato.  Next time, I'll roast up some sweet potatoes whole so I can get the smashed effect.  And I will keep a closer eye on the pan after adding the maple syrup to avoid setting off the smoke detector again 🙃

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I think it's well worth trying.  I followed her direction to make sure the sour cream tasted tart and salty (and peppery) and it was a good contrast to the potato.  Next time, I'll roast up some sweet potatoes whole so I can get the smashed effect.  And I will keep a closer eye on the pan after adding the maple syrup to avoid setting off the smoke detector again 🙃

Thanks for the warning about the smoke detector!

Edited by Anna N
Because once is enough. (log)
  • Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Everything looks so delicious, y'all!  Especially since the only bread in my house is bound for sausage roll filling (I can't leave because I'm waiting for a delivery) and I'm eating yogurt for breakfast.  The only recent breakfast worth of this thread is from Thanksgiving.  While we watched the parade:

DSCN0441.JPG.775d7867a8f55c44c273f96342ff6918.JPG
Sausage gravy and biscuits, fried potatoes and onions, and Ukrops quiche that Jessica brought.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2019 at 1:28 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I did it. Not well apparently.  I don’t follow directions as well as I ought. I looked at your photograph. I looked at the photograph that accompanied the recipe. And finally I looked at my photograph and determined to save everyone the horror. 

First of all I think I over cooked the sweet potatoes although usually they take twice as long as I think they should and then I squashed them as one might squash a bug. I don’t think that was the way it was supposed to be. Nevertheless it made for a tasty lunch. I have two more sweet potatoes so I might give them a similar treatment but stick a little closer to the recipe. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

43029A50-2D2D-4166-AE2B-74FCCD6B23A6.thumb.jpeg.400299e7d2b1c69925a2453c1132e8c1.jpeg

Not quite an onsen duck egg on toasted sourdough. Suspect that my reheating is the culprit so I’m wondering if @nickrey can comment on how he handled the rewarming of the chilled eggs. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

I did it again

On 12/3/2019 at 10:28 AM, blue_dolphin said:

IMG_1691.thumb.jpeg.1cec772c01b12b990e96204f4b2dd5c0.jpeg

This time I stuck closer to the recipe and smashed the sweet potatoes as the recipe directs.  Though mine look more smashed than the ones in the recipe photo. 

Speaking of stuck, I also avoided carbonizing the maple syrup but I did make it into sort of a sticky caramel. I only used a little of it and luckily, I had a big mug of black coffee handy to dissolve it off my teeth. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Didn't make dinner last night so I made it for breakfast.

222556659_GrilledPorkChopBreakfastDecember6th2019.thumb.jpg.26413579b5f307a853e3abbcc4729f7f.jpg

Grilled Pork Chop with potato gratin cooked in chicken broth, squash and Brussels sprouts.

You eat your breakfast about when I serve dinner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Stovies reheated in the CSO (Cuisinart steam oven). An overnight rest definitely improved these. 

A4FC8E9A-C137-4344-9568-3B6F05B10793.thumb.jpeg.8075c1f0fc3b8e85c322b38aa7f45df4.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog