• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

@Ann_T  looks like you made individual toad in the hole?  If so, brilliant.  One banger per pud?

@Okanagancook, yes individual Yorkshires.  I browned the sausages first.  Heated the muffin tins with oil until smoking.  Cut the sausages in half and stood them up in the cups and poured

the batter around them.  

I can't take credit for the idea.  Saw pictures for  various options on google images.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love toad in the hole so this is perfect for the two of us.  I think they would reheat nicely in the CSO on steam-bake.  Thanks.

On another tangent.....There was some mention about Red Star yeast.  What kind of yeast do you use?

Edited by Okanagancook (log)

48 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

On another tangent.....There was some mention about Red Star yeast.  What kind of yeast do you use?

I'm pretty sure it is Red Star that I use.   I buy it at Costco and empty the package into a mason jar and keep it in the freezer, so I don't have the

package to check.  Next time I'm in Costco, I'll check to confirm.

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

I'm pretty sure it is Red Star that I use.   I buy it at Costco and empty the package into a mason jar and keep it in the freezer, so I don't have the

package to check.  Next time I'm in Costco, I'll check to confirm.

It's Red Star at Costco, at least on this coast. I keep mine in the package and have a clip that seals it between batches of bread.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

28 minutes ago, chromedome said:

It's Red Star at Costco, at least on this coast. I keep mine in the package and have a clip that seals it between batches of bread.

Exactly.   I bought a pound package at Costco and keep it, jarred, in the freezer.    Since I use it in 1/4 teaspoon quantities, I have listed it in my will.

More seriously, Red Star is a ubiquitous brand in NorCal.   

• Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

182F08BC-472E-423E-B919-16FCEC3E41E6.thumb.jpeg.a6350529d5bd09da3cde50b8cd882a9f.jpeg

duck eggs scrambled with a little sour cream and an Australian smoked cheddar. Appearance-wise it could’ve used a little colour. Taste-wise it needed nothing. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Rice noodles in broth with shrimp, garlic, chili, ginger, white pepper, mustard greens and century egg. Shrimp and century egg is sometimes used in congee, but I decided to combine them with noodles. It worked for me.

20191029_132839.thumb.jpg.af182101cfc9f93975cd5abf657b7aad.jpg

20191029_132851.thumb.jpg.ee2359e98c0741043a59490eb29d1ed7.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou,  I love your breakfasts.  

Baked caramelized onion and poppy seed sourdough bread last night.  

Lobbed off a small piece of dough from one of the baguettes that was too long for the stone in the CSO and made a bun. 

1164601489_HamburgeronCaramelizedonionpoppyseedsourdoughbunOctober29th20192.thumb.jpg.53e2e69186eed10bbd14fa7a56179d48.jpg

Made Moe a burger with homemade potato chips for breakfast. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Was thinking of making Chicken Stew with Southern Style dumplings for dinner tonight.

1097125758_ChickenStewandSouthernDumplingsNovember2nd20191.thumb.jpg.f8dd78387746cff5d34adfcd50df31c5.jpg

And then realized that I still had hours before leaving for work so I could make it for Moe's breakfast and take the same for lunch.

See there is an advantage to being an earlier riser. And by earlier riser I mean 3:00 AM. Although I don't start cooking until Moe wakes up which is usually not much later.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1