• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

Jerusalem style kugel. Noodles mixed with caramel, eggs, butter, plenty of pepper and some ginger. Baked all night long and served for Sabbath breakfast/brunch, with pickles.

IMG_20190209_120357_1.thumb.jpg.2381b659b0867118372fa6060f91437b.jpgIMG_20190209_120410_1.thumb.jpg.095215a44a156cd0daabcacf8a518637.jpgIMG_20190209_120720.thumb.jpg.eebf920b391ae9d8ba0015f838b7059d.jpg

An easy dish to make and one that I recommend that you try, if you never had. Especially on a chill morning.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

19 minutes ago, rotuts said:

thanks to eG no doubt ,  there might be a ' run ' on those molds

got an email from Amazon , my mold has been delayed !

Oh no. I treat mine as though it cost me as much as a small car.   Few things in my kitchen are given the respect that my white plastic rice mould is given.   Perhaps I should order a second one to ward off any disaster.

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

I understand completely.

a few key outstanding items in my kitchen have a brand new ' reserve '

and just to be on the very safe side , a brand new Reserve of the Reserve.

All in their un-opened boxes.

stuff thats just terrific might only get a Reserve

in my defense , all purchased on sale at outstanding prices.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yes.  Quicker than pancakes, that's for sure!

I just looked up a couple of recipes and by the time I made the preserved vegetables, the chili sauce and all the rest of it, I would not only have made the pancakes, but eaten them.  I must say, though, it looks good.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I just looked up a couple of recipes and by the time I made the preserved vegetables, the chili sauce and all the rest of it, I would not only have made the pancakes, but eaten them.  I must say, though, it looks good.

It was indeed a tasty bowl of noodles and the sweet, spicy pork almost reminded me of a breakfast sausage!

This recipe is the same as the one in the book, so there was nothing for me to prep in advance, except the chilli oil and I made up a batch of that last week.  Everything else was from the pantry.

On her website, Fuchsia recommends a purchased ya cai so that's what I used for the preserved veg:

fullsizeoutput_39e8.thumb.jpeg.f46c6248e996e66aa25eda9ba93011e3.jpeg

My only modifications were to reduce the amount of oil for browning the pork, eliminating the salt and reducing the amounts of soy sauce and Sichuanese ya cai to adjust the salt for my taste.

8 hours ago, shain said:

Jerusalem style kugel. Noodles mixed with caramel, eggs, butter, plenty of pepper and some ginger. Baked all night long and served for Sabbath breakfast/brunch, with pickles.

That flavor combination of sweet caramel and sour pickles sounds odd but it also reminds me of the classic maple sugaring season treat of Sugar on Snow - maple syrup, boiled to a soft ball stage, drizzled on to clean snow, twirled up on to a fork and eaten with dill pickles and fresh, warm doughnuts. 

8 hours ago, shain said:

An easy dish to make and one that I recommend that you try, if you never had. Especially on a chill morning.

I must say that warm noodles sound much better for a chilly morning than my snow comparison 🙃

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

It was indeed a tasty bowl of noodles and the sweet, spicy pork almost reminded me of a breakfast sausage!

This recipe is the same as the one in the book, so there was nothing for me to prep in advance, except the chilli oil and I made up a batch of that last week.  Everything else was from the pantry.

On her website, Fuchsia recommends a purchased ya cai so that's what I used for the preserved veg:

fullsizeoutput_39e8.thumb.jpeg.f46c6248e996e66aa25eda9ba93011e3.jpeg

My only modifications were to reduce the amount of oil for browning the pork, eliminating the salt and reducing the amounts of soy sauce and Sichuanese ya cai to adjust the salt for my taste.

Is the sweet fermented sauce the same as this?

20190224_161254.jpg

17 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Is the sweet fermented sauce the same as this?

20190224_161254.jpg

I am not expert in these matters so hopefully someone else can give you a more authoritative answer but in the meantime, based on what she says in the book, that appears to be the stuff she's using in her recipe as the characters on your label match with this description from the book:

fullsizeoutput_39e9.thumb.jpeg.c616c3bfa4b4fc2489bc9ab6e4fb1819.jpeg

She illustrates that description with this photo:

fullsizeoutput_39ea.thumb.jpeg.ffa762cdb56aa1db083343f1fbab9b00.jpeg

13 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I am not expert in these matters so hopefully someone else can give you a more authoritative answer but in the meantime, based on what she says in the book, that appears to be the stuff she's using in her recipe as the characters on your label match with this description from the book:

I have both but I find that taste-wise there is a difference between the two.  Maybe @liuzhou can add to this.

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I have both but I find that taste-wise there is a difference between the two.  Maybe @liuzhou can add to this.

That would be great! 

Do both your sauces have the same characters on the labels?  If so, perhaps the difference is just due to the brand?  

My hoisin sauce has different characters for the first 2 and only the last one matches so I know it's not what she's calling for here.

fullsizeoutput_39ec.thumb.jpeg.40beb209512b937b1ceeb21307fb65b2.jpeg

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The characters on the description above and those on the packet are different but say the same thing. The first, 甜麵醬 (tián miàn jiàng) use the Traditional Chinese characters, today mainly only used in Hong, Taiwan and among the Chinese diaspora. The second on the package, 甜面酱 (tián miàn jiàng) uses the Simplified characters used on the Chinese mainland.  The "sweet bean sauce" translation is just wrong. 甜面酱is literally "sweet wheat sauce", made from fermented wheat, although it may also contain beans. Hoisin sauce is also  wrong. Although visually similar, Hoisin sauce (Traditional Chinese: 海鮮醬; Simplified Chinese: 海鲜酱(hǎi xiān jiàng) is different in taste and is used in different applications.

Interestingly, her recipe for Dan Dan Noodles in her Sichuan Cookery / Land of Plenty does not contain any of either. I can't see one teaspoon making much difference.

One thing I dislike about Dunlop's books is the way she mixes Traditional and Simplified characters, sometimes even in one name. Traditional characters are rarely used in Sichuan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Thanks, @liuzhou!

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Interestingly, her recipe for Dan Dan Noodles in her Sichuan Cookery / Land of Plenty does not contain any of either.

My planned breakfast for tomorrow is her recipe for Xie Laoban’s Dan Dan Noodles, also from Every Grain of Rice (and available here online) and it doesn't call for those ingredients either. 

9 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks, @liuzhou!

My planned breakfast for tomorrow is her recipe for Xie Laoban’s Dan Dan Noodles, also from Every Grain of Rice (and available here online) and it doesn't call for those ingredients either. 

Xie Laoban’s Dan Dan Noodles recipe is also in Sichuan cookery / Land of Plenty. Same recipe but ingredient quantities differ in some instances. Maybe she tweaked it.

Also, her story of how she got the recipe keeps changing, too.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

That flavor combination of sweet caramel and sour pickles sounds odd but it also reminds me of the classic maple sugaring season treat of Sugar on Snow - maple syrup, boiled to a soft ball stage, drizzled on to clean snow, twirled up on to a fork and eaten with dill pickles and fresh, warm doughnuts. 

Think if this as a palate cleanser of sorts, you shouldn't mix them uh the same bite. Now the kugle doesn't taste very caramely, the long baking time makes it more deep and savory. 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

3 hours ago, shain said:

Think if this as a palate cleanser of sorts, you shouldn't mix them uh the same bite. Now the kugle doesn't taste very caramely, the long baking time makes it more deep and savory. 

So kind of like the Vietnamese caramel sauce (Nuoc Mau) https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2007/10/caramel-sauce.html  I get it. 

As mentioned yesterday, Xie Laoban’s Dan Dan Noodles, also from Every Grain of Rice (and available here online) with broccolini

IMG_0257.thumb.jpg.4bfd50538916b2c55671946594d890a5.jpg

Totally different from the "classic" Dan Dan noodles that I made yesterday from the same book.  These have sesame paste and and Sichuan pepper.  This recipe calls for beef, but I used pork. As usual, I reduced the amount of soy sauce significantly to control the salt 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Boiled egg with sugar snap peas cooked with Chinese dried sausage and ginger over rice

Gorgeous. I want to frame the photograph and hang it in my kitchen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog