• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

15FE8A0C-A99B-4487-A43E-EB5949F6B285.thumb.jpeg.1ab16e3952bc6ed3385a3ef5d7aaf282.jpeg

Grilled portobello caps with blue cheese and a side of a Sugar Bombs. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Half of a leftover (from dinner) red-skinned sweet potato, reheated in office micro, little swipe of butter and dash of cinnamon. Nice on a rainy day.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

5 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Half of a leftover (from dinner) red-skinned sweet potato, reheated in office micro, little swipe of butter and dash of cinnamon. Nice on a rainy day.

Along with his other produce, a sweet gentleman used to sell baked sweet potatoes, kept hot in an insulated chest, at our Civic Center Farmer's Market, until one day when he didn't.   He said that the health department had stopped his doing that because he had neither a commercial kitchen nor permit to sell prepared food.   Stupid, stupid, stupid!     These morsels were a wonderful winter breakfast treat.    Stupid....

• Sad 4

eGullet member #80.

20 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Aha!  Never thought of adding blue cheese to egg salad.    'Open a new window; open a new door..."   

My thought exactly. And I have some decent blue in the fridge....

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Fatoot samneh but made with sordough bread and a duck egg. Still good but better with pita.  Must replenish.9BAF4853-432C-400F-9F05-E22B4F9C3BC0.thumb.jpeg.7cdee40d37bbd8ae4ba68eb3a60a74df.jpeg

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Bought some new (to me) English muffins at Wegman’s.  They are nice and tall – almost 2 inches thick:

DSCN0465.thumb.JPG.7ea64308fc1388e15d1299c8b7f70c37.JPG

They were certainly craggy – I had great hopes that they would take the place of the Wolfermans that I used to be able to get at our now defunct local grocery store, Ukrops:

DSCN0466.JPG.4e36a4f1507f73c5dcba37ed55ac0927.JPG

But they didn’t taste very interesting – just kind of stodgy and bready.  Guess I’ll leave the Wolferman’s gift card on my wishlist. 

The above popped up when I went to post today's breakfast, so I'm guessing I never posted it anywhere.  I can't find that I did.  Sigh.  

Today was more toasted stuff with stuff:

DSCN0473.thumb.JPG.dde8c7f160ab6e00043f8d2b6a591ae1.JPG

Strawberry jam on wheat and butter on sourdough.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

All this talk of blue cheese in egg salad reminded me where I first learned of the combination, the EGG SALAD SANDWICH PERFECTA MUNDO over on Luna Cafe.  I followed that recipe except that I forgot the onion.  

Sounds so good. I have a sneaking suspicion I might have attempted this before. Regardless, I shall be attempting it again! Thanks. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Sounds so good. I have a sneaking suspicion I might have attempted this before. Regardless, I shall be attempting it again! Thanks. 

I see that I mentioned it at least once before in a "Favorite Sandwiches" thread but it's been a while!  I don't usually put greens on an egg salad sandwich but using arugula on this one is really good!

• Like 1

Kinda shepards pie.  Roasted duck covered by left over potato salad (don’t knock it till you try it) heated in CSO 350 steam bake for 25 minutes.  Egg on top becaue it is breakfast.

403401DA-89D9-4A6F-9B48-90FA133D7A9E.thumb.jpeg.43fcfe44e1701d99e251524e977daaad.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

D6607735-1662-430B-A4CC-E5D69B9C4A07.thumb.jpeg.1840239e4fdf3f546473edce4a5d8e52.jpeg

Leftover sirloin baseball steak from lunch at The Keg yesterday. Served on rye toast and seasoned only with a little salt. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

E0033D0A-26E6-440A-83F9-AA1A25706CDD.thumb.jpeg.4efe7d916674dc457a94c254fe47f000.jpeg

The last of the lunch leftovers from The Keg. Prime rib on toasted rye bread which was slathered with horseradish mayo. A little horseradish mayo on top also. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

A3F6FA85-86D1-4922-B8C7-6C243EAB296B.thumb.jpeg.21262ff425799ac72322e7e3f94fb663.jpeg

More fatoot samneh made in the A4 box. I wouldn’t normally post this since we’ve seen it enough times now but today I made it with a different pita. This one was labelled as Lebanese style and was much less doughy than the ones I have been using. And I used commercial ghee instead of my homemade.

The dish made this way was also good but given my choice I prefer the thicker bread and the flavour of the homemade ghee. Yeah, I know. Not very scientific. Never change more than one variable at a time. But I was making breakfast not conducting an experiment. 

I forgot to add that after I tasted it I decided to add even more variables and sprinkled it with Trader Joe’s umami powder!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Recipe or process?    These look as if they were cut out rather than use of crumpet rings.    Fabulous in any event...

The recipe is from the America's Test Kitchen cookbook Bread Illustrated.  Unfortunately I cannot find the correct version of the recipe online without a paywall.  ATK is rather persnickety about protecting their recipes.  I've been baking a lot from this book and have generally had good success.  

• Thanks 1

The plan: duck egg perfectly scrambled with some aged Trader Joe’s raw cow’s milk blue cheese on toasted rye bread. (The cheese was part of a gift of some lovely cheeses from TJ’s). 

The final product: a sort of omelet frantically forked apart so blue cheese crumbles could be intermingled. 

The culprit: inattention caused by the  urgent need to Google Jacques Torres’ chocolate chip cookie recipe.  You know who you are @Kim Shook

5EDDD6F0-C218-48DB-B1C7-D25FC5DB1B67.thumb.jpeg.d935335a665b985165eb0ff1419a8299.jpeg

In the end it was still quite delicious and I finished up the last of the Sugar Bomb tomatoes which were just starting to get wrinkly. 

P.S.  had absolutely no intention of making chocolate chip cookies today or even in the near future. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog