• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

30 minutes ago, SusieQ said:

It all looks very yummy. Lucky birthday boy! Is that raw bacon on the platter? You don't eat that raw, do you?

Nope, it is „Kümmelbauch“. Cured pork belly, heavily scented with caraway and slowly baked. 

• Thanks 1

@Duvel, that spread looks amazing!  I'd be most pleased with a birthday feast like that....if I can skip the crown featuring my advanced age!

This morning, I followed @Anna N's lead and made the Fatoot Samneh that she posted about here the other day.  

197960677_IMG_1629(1).thumb.jpeg.31cde84c1d195d619e363876ad1775a6.jpeg

It might not look like much but it's exceedingly delicious.  I had some nice homemade, whole grain pita bread but I think any sort of pita would become crispy and delicious when fried in a generous amount of ghee.  Definitely a more than the sum of its parts dish. 

I had my doubts about the suggested topping of honey but I added a drizzle of Mike's Hot Honey to a corner of my plate and called that bite my dessert.  Not bad.  

Edited by blue_dolphin
to fix photo (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2019 at 5:10 AM, Anna N said:

A week or so ago @Kerry Beal sent me this recipe. I was quite intrigued but at the time had no pita nor really any other suitable bread in the house. We remedies that situation on Wednesday.

Today as I prepared to make this I tried to remember why I thought it was a good idea. A lot of the comments about the recipe said it was just matzo brei with better bread!  Never having sampled this matzo brei, I had no doubt idea if it that good or bad.  But since I had homemade ghee on hand, the aforementioned pita and some lovely duck eggs I plunged in. 

It far exceeded my expectations. For something with basically three ingredients this is a very tasty dish. (As an aside the duck egg I used was a double yolker!)

It occurred to me as I was making it and then eating it that there must be other ways one could adapt the fried pita to serve as a carb base in place of something like rice or pasta.  So for lunch I fried up another torn up pita and tossed it with leftovers. Very satisfactory. Both meals were prepared in the A4 box, of course. 

In Israel, there's a large Yemeni population, as fatoot was once quite a common home made dish (a bit less so today, with recent health trends). There are many versions, notable are the sweet one - served with honey and sour cream / butter milk. A savory version is served with grated tomatoes, sometimes zaatar is sprinkled on top. Some also add olives (though there's surely something wrong with their mind). I'd say that around here, malawach (a sort of laminated flat bread) is more commonly used than pita.

During Passover, it will b made of matzo, which is almost the same as (some versions) of matzo brie (which I think is a dish you'd like).

An eggless version of fatoot is often served with soup.

The term fatoot is related from the Arabic fatteh, which is used to refer to an array of dishes based on leftover bread. Like the well known fattoush salad.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

35 minutes ago, shain said:

In Israel, there's a large Yemeni population, as fatoot was once quite a common home made dish (a bit less so today, with recent health trends). There are many versions, notable are the sweet one - served with honey and sour cream / butter milk. A savory version is served with grated tomatoes, sometimes zaatar is sprinkled on top. Some also add olives (though there's surely something wrong with their mind). I'd say that around here, malawach (a sort of laminated flat bread) is more commonly used than pita.

Thanks very much for this. I’m always interested to hear the backstory about a dish that I have recently discovered. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had a tuna salad sandwich in a pita bread with bread and butter pickles on the side.  No photo because I can't manage good photos of stuff inside pitas.  Also, I was hungry.  

I've now moved on to dessert.  Two corn sablés with my coffee.

IMG_1634.thumb.jpeg.85035372db5551e99da91d2807638446.jpeg

The front one is upside down because I was still hungry and picked it up for a quick bite. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

No photo because I can't manage good photos of stuff inside pitas.

We have so much in common but then we diverge. Somebody dragged you over to the dark side with tuna salad. Meh.😮   

• Haha 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

:D

On 11/25/2019 at 12:11 PM, Anna N said:

We have so much in common but then we diverge. Somebody dragged you over to the dark side with tuna salad. Meh.😮   

I have a recipe for a really good tuna salad with canelli beans and capers. Want it?:cool:

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1648438350_PizzaforbreakfastNovember27th20192.thumb.jpg.e4f772e29a4be1e441d0e2be60aafcba.jpg

Pizza for breakfast.

I saved Matt some dough from Monday's bread dough for him to make a  pizza. But then he didn't make it, so it went into the fridge (After the dough had fully risen).

He took it out of the fridge yesterday and was going to make pizza last night but he didn't feel good so the dough went back again into the fridge.

So he took the dough out of the fridge again this morning and let it warm up again and we baked his pizza finally.

2080485825_PizzaforbreakfastNovember27th20195.thumb.jpg.3dbb5e76f0abe217febd056e03f5ccff.jpg

Dressed and ready for the stone on the grill.

1351981514_PizzaforbreakfastNovember27th20194.thumb.jpg.624fbbd7573bfabe9026d174b47a0b23.jpg

Rim shot. Turned out great considering the dough had been somewhat abused. 

• Like 5

@Ann_T – those scones are some of the prettiest I’ve ever seen.  That gorgeous high rise and perfect color and then the drizzle of icing.  I am craving them.

@blue_dolphin – I’ve just offered Mr. Kim his choice of tuna salad sandwiches and chili or steak and cheese baked potatoes for dinner.  He chose the tuna – wish I could offer a couple of those lovely sables for dessert!

This morning:

DSCN0437.JPG.e14542258aa9e7530a6c2e8b56236009.JPG

toast and Benton's bacon.

• Like 7

A rather special form of dumplings. 西湖肉燕 (xī hú ròu yàn) means "West Lake Meat  Swallows*". 肉燕 (xī hú) or West Lake is a beautiful lake in Hangzhou, capital of Zhejiang Province in the east of China, near Shanghai. 肉燕 (ròu yàn) are best known as being from Fujian Province to the south of Zhejiang. But there  is a crucial difference betweeen their rou yan and those of Hangzhou.

The skin of the dumplings in both versions is called  肉皮 (ròupí), literally "Meat Skin". This is made by pounding meat to a paste and adding starch and glutinous rice flour to make something very similar to that known in Japan as  すり身 or surimi, a term also now used in English. Basically it is the same stuff as used to make fake crabsticks etc. In Fujian, the roupi is made from pork, but in Hangzhou it is made from fish and other seafood.

These are stuffed with a bizarre mix of meats and vegetables including chicken, duck, pork, seafood, water chestnus, bamboo shoots etc. They also have some spices and chilli.

20191130_113811.thumb.jpg.7e9038cd359cef76595ab8e0c93fd726.jpg

I'm sure you can imagine this a fairly labour intensive process, so most people buy them frozen, as did I. Oddly, the cooking instructions on the package recommended them being boiled for 5-10 minutes. Quite a range! I split the difference (nearly) and did them for 7 minutes and was pleased with the results. Served with a soy and chilli dipping sauce.

10 in the picture above, but I ate 20.

20191130_113832.thumb.jpg.919c01f6dd35df261e41d2cc8b478f64.jpg

They are normally served in soup, but I'm not normal.

* "swallow" as in the bird.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

AA13F47D-07D9-4E84-8F7C-ADA6E67AB65C.thumb.jpeg.a4132d8be0436c580da3c9eb48ce20e6.jpeg

I am obviously addicted to the egg and pita dish (matzo brei with better bread), discussed earlier in this topic. Such a fast, easy and satisfying breakfast. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog