• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

5 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Sad, sad egg and cheddar sandwich.

Belongs in “the gallery of regrettable food I ate on my vacation”. I know we don’t have such a topic but perhaps we ought to. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, eugenep said:

hmmm....like...what's wrong with the eggs? they look kinda nice to me. Was the yolk over-done? I couldn't tell from the surface pic.

I have to say that I also didn't think it a complete disaster at first glance. The cheese looked warm and melty, the eggs like they might have a goo-ey yolk and the bread or roll looked nicely toasted with holes that all suggested a crisp exterior and chewy crumb. 

But since @liamsaunt described it as "sad," I believed her and figured that her amazing photography skills might make most anything look marvelous!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have to say that I also didn't think it a complete disaster at first glance. The cheese looked warm and melty, the eggs like they might have a goo-ey yolk and the bread or roll looked nicely toasted with holes that all suggested a crisp exterior and chewy crumb. 

But since @liamsaunt described it as "sad," I believed her and figured that her amazing photography skills might make most anything look marvelous!

I agree with you blue_dolphin and I think it must ultimately be unpleasant to eat. 

But I was wondering..like the only obvious flaw I could think of is too much heat on the eggs? Maybe the ingredients are also terrible - like stale bread, fake cheese, etc. (but can't be sure?). I was a little curious though. 

• Like 1

A week or so ago @Kerry Beal sent me this recipe. I was quite intrigued but at the time had no pita nor really any other suitable bread in the house. We remedies that situation on Wednesday.

Today as I prepared to make this I tried to remember why I thought it was a good idea. A lot of the comments about the recipe said it was just matzo brei with better bread!  Never having sampled this matzo brei, I had no doubt idea if it that good or bad.  But since I had homemade ghee on hand, the aforementioned pita and some lovely duck eggs I plunged in. 

2F148A92-B61B-45D9-88D3-68FCAF23CCD8.thumb.jpeg.4e644988bbb4f1768b3ae92459080b49.jpeg

It far exceeded my expectations. For something with basically three ingredients this is a very tasty dish. (As an aside the duck egg I used was a double yolker!)

It occurred to me as I was making it and then eating it that there must be other ways one could adapt the fried pita to serve as a carb base in place of something like rice or pasta.  So for lunch I fried up another torn up pita and tossed it with leftovers. Very satisfactory. Both meals were prepared in the A4 box, of course. 

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

It occurred to me as I was making it and then eating it that there must be other ways one could adapt the fried pita to serve as a carb base in place of something like rice or pasta.

Yangrou Paomo. The 'mo' described here are not always steamed but dry fried on a griddle and very like pita, but denser. Classic Xi'an dish, could eat for any meal.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Yangrou Paomo. The 'mo' described here are not always steamed but dry fried on a griddle and very like pita, but denser. Classic Xi'an dish, could eat for any meal.

I suspect I would enjoy that dish!  Thank you for sharing that. It’s always intriguing to me how cuisines manage to have so much in common with one another even when they seem worlds apart.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

37 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I suspect I would enjoy that dish!  Thank you for sharing that. It’s always intriguing to me how cuisines manage to have so much in common with one another even when they seem worlds apart.

That was a common theme of the late James Barber's show, The Urban Peasant.

He'd traveled the world a lot in his "day job" as an engineer, and began to notice the similarities between dishes in different cultures: Different twists on the same basic technique or set of ingredients. He'd often stop at some point in a recipe and explain how you could vary it from there to be Thai or Italian or Indian or what have you. I quite liked that show. :)

I had a similar moment as a young 'un newly arrived in Vancouver. I walked past a little Portuguese restaurant on Commercial Drive, most days...nothing fancy, just their equivalent of a blue-collar, greasy-spoon diner. One day they had salt cod and potatoes as their daily special, so I decided to see how different it would be from the Newfoundland version I'd grown up with.

As you'll recall from previous discussions, in Newfoundland one renders out salt pork, providing both a fat to spoon over the dish itself and the rendered-out "scruncheons" as a pungently salty garnish. I was shocked at first when the Portuguese version arrived with a heavy drizzle of olive oil and a generous scattering of olives, but after a few bites I realized that those played exactly the same roles as the rendered fat and scruncheons in the Newfoundland version. Mind blown.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

That was a common theme of the late James Barber's show, The Urban Peasant.

He'd traveled the world a lot in his "day job" as an engineer, and began to notice the similarities between dishes in different cultures: Different twists on the same basic technique or set of ingredients. He'd often stop at some point in a recipe and explain how you could vary it from there to be Thai or Italian or Indian or what have you. I quite liked that show. :)

I had a similar moment as a young 'un newly arrived in Vancouver. I walked past a little Portuguese restaurant on Commercial Drive, most days...nothing fancy, just their equivalent of a blue-collar, greasy-spoon diner. One day they had salt cod and potatoes as their daily special, so I decided to see how different it would be from the Newfoundland version I'd grown up with.

As you'll recall from previous discussions, in Newfoundland one renders out salt pork, providing both a fat to spoon over the dish itself and the rendered-out "scruncheons" as a pungently salty garnish. I was shocked at first when the Portuguese version arrived with a heavy drizzle of olive oil and a generous scattering of olives, but after a few bites I realized that those played exactly the same roles as the rendered fat and scruncheons in the Newfoundland version. Mind blown.

Stories and memories like this are my favorite part of eG.  Thanks, @chromedome!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, eugenep said:

hmmm....like...what's wrong with the eggs? they look kinda nice to me. Was the yolk over-done? I couldn't tell from the surface pic. 

But no high heat sear on the outside so maybe protein came out okay too? 

The muffin was not toasted, it was microwaved, so it had that gummy yet hard texture that microwaved bread gets.  The eggs were overcooked and flavorless, as was the alien cheese.  Oh, and it was $9.50 plus tax.   I am glad everyone got a laugh out of it though!  That made it worth it.  

18 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Are you vacationing in Area 51?

Close.  Disney.  My husband is a Star Wars geek and wanted to see Star Wars Land on his birthday weekend.  I'll put the rest of my food "adventures" in the Florida topic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

I'll put the rest of my food "adventures" in the Florida topic.

I hope no more of them belong in the gallery of regrettable food.😂

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N, that Fatoot Samneh sounds really good.  Did you try the suggestion of putting honey on it?  I was going to make it today but decided to stick with my original plan.  I did take a pita out of the freezer so it will be ready for tomorrow.  Or maybe lunch🙃

Today's breakfast was Instant Pot polenta, CSO steam-roasted asparagus and fried duck egg, each layer anointed with the Double Mushroom Butter from Six Seasons

IMG_1625.thumb.jpeg.371f05b8734e079c0af2349e9b6b2077.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

42 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Anna N, that Fatoot Samneh sounds really good.  Did you try the suggestion of putting honey on it?  I was going to make it today but decided to stick with my original plan.  I did take a pita out of the freezer so it will be ready for tomorrow.  Or maybe lunch🙃

No I did not try the honey. I’m not a big one for mixing sweets with egg in a savoury dish. Who knows I might give it a shot one time.

Your breakfast looks so delicious. 

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

No I did not try the honey. I’m not a big one for mixing sweets with egg in a savoury dish. Who knows I might give it a shot one time.

Your breakfast looks so delicious. 

I continually freak out stepmother with my well toasted bread, a skim of honey or orange mamalade, hot paprika, and soft boiled egg. She physically recoils. 

• Haha 1

Family breakfast, birthday boy edition ...

The full spread ...

E61284DB-8045-416B-A1CF-0FB24FFECDDD.thumb.jpeg.9682bf78e97c5f283ad7f5b72785b8d2.jpeg

Assorted breads ...

35C0BED3-8BF3-408B-B750-4633C6975510.thumb.jpeg.e575b874fa2f65af72485b7ddafca80c.jpeg

Cold cuts ...

4E049F6C-795E-4050-B808-825F15C1AF93.thumb.jpeg.5c2131b9413dd3bc290d5e83a935fb21.jpeg

Cheeses ...

4B7C7DB4-0A2A-4119-ACAE-40A00EB8C955.thumb.jpeg.89dea606f5a157d8edb67c1eaecee5c3.jpeg

„Others“

887B7D8F-097D-4507-9F33-099C877F6B82.thumb.jpeg.c4bdd8ef79e995680b989eada188dd90.jpeg

For the sweet tooth ...

DD8C66C3-326E-4461-840B-66002FF45CA7.thumb.jpeg.e5e3f89c31027e3b66c1ca39814ca1d0.jpeg

Birthday boy & banana ...

24481F9A-3446-4FB6-BF25-6CA9501BE92E.thumb.jpeg.cb21e9b1662a86d482c8fbc671ec8a08.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2