• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

When I came across this recipe while searching for something else, I dismissed it as preposterous. Who ever heard of kimchi and cheese for goodness sake?  But you know how it is. Sometimes these things just keep nagging in the back of your mind until you have to reconsider your first reaction. 

607E19F9-3478-401D-9F8F-24E5D1ACD100.thumb.jpeg.a5dc6e3c797e28f58c81991ae62d598f.jpeg

Well I didn’t succeed in getting the rice crispy enough and it could’ve used a better variety of cheeses but for breakfast or a midnight snack it passes muster with me. Tried hard to get a gooey cheese shot but was not successful.  

B5CFCD6A-6DF8-481C-A924-7BE741166F7A.thumb.jpeg.bc4841d0086ead40ac9526c212eaf59f.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

eggs Kerjiwal

Another Indian dish I recognize but not by that name. I’ve not made that in a while so I’m going to put it back into my breakfast rotation. Thanks for resurrecting it in my memory. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

eggs Kerjiwal

Had to Google this since I'd never heard of it.    NYT says, "To make this updated Eggs Kejriwal, toast good bread and smear it with mustard, then pile on some grated cheese mixed up with chopped up green chiles, red onion and cilantro leaves. Once the cheese is bubbling under the broiler, just slide on a fried egg."

Thanks!   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

When I came across this recipe while searching for something else, I dismissed it as preposterous. Who ever heard of kimchi and cheese for goodness sake?  But you know how it is. Sometimes these things just keep nagging in the back of your mind until you have to reconsider your first reaction. 
Well I didn’t succeed in getting the rice crispy enough and it could’ve used a better variety of cheeses but for breakfast or a midnight snack it passes muster with me. Tried hard to get a gooey cheese shot but was not successful.  

Ha!  I was gonna send you the link to this as you came to mind when I saw it the other day :)  And her is anothr one   https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4xbmyw/take-a-hint-from-milk-bar-and-put-kimchi-in-your-quesadilla

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Had to Google this since I'd never heard of it.    NYT says, "To make this updated Eggs Kejriwal, toast good bread and smear it with mustard, then pile on some grated cheese mixed up with chopped up green chiles, red onion and cilantro leaves. Once the cheese is bubbling under the broiler, just slide on a fried egg."

Thanks!   

The version I made was from Meera Sodha's Fresh India.  She says that the dish is named after a Mr. Kerjiwal, who special ordered the dish every morning for breakfast at the Willington Club over 30 years ago.  Finally, after many years of his daily request for this breakfast, the club put the dish on their formal menu and it became very popular in Mumbai.  Her version just has the egg, cheese, mustard and chile (she calls for green but I only had red today).  The cilantro and red onion sound like terrific additions.  I'll try it that way next time.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Her version just has the egg, cheese, mustard and chile

An even more abbreviated version by a lazy cook or one who is somewhat ingredient-challenged at the moment. Still tastes very good. 

910F5F02-BD5C-4765-93C4-B6B258CB7CCB.thumb.jpeg.678f6a446df96bae87eadb422d8a152b.jpeg

Rye toast, Seriously Sharp Cheddar, sliced scallions and a fried egg. 

Enjoyed a good read this morning describing all the various iterations of this dish. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

A bowl of the heirloom bean and escarole soup from Ad Hoc at Home topped with a fried duck egg. 

IMG_1566.thumb.jpeg.bf430b2c079887380c985449aeb3ebdb.jpeg

@Anna N's recent duck egg adventures encouraged me to pick some up at the local farmers market yesterday.  They came with a description of their jobs on the farm:

IMG_1563.thumb.jpeg.19e2e1b65135c561ab39dd32c5d42aa2.jpeg

For what they cost, I should have gotten a photo of the duck who laid each egg.  

Oh wait, maybe that's what this is on the other side 🙃

IMG_1569.thumb.jpeg.33ba2ec99811fa45058ab7e8ad27f6cd.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

39 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

They came with a description of their jobs on the farm:

So what you’re saying is that I’m just eating pre-digested snails?  Ymummmeeee!

• Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Oh, no!  That's just mine. 

You'll have to sleuth out the dietary history of your own ducks...or not!

From a private farm. That is all I know. 

My 2004 eG Blog

3C498310-04D1-44DD-B6F8-1AB02A2689FA.thumb.jpeg.54302f80ee5d1458a0f3266c6986afd1.jpeg

Had to try the eggs with breadcrumbs and vinegar. Not nearly as enamoured of it as others seem to be. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

36 minutes ago, Anna N said:

3C498310-04D1-44DD-B6F8-1AB02A2689FA.thumb.jpeg.54302f80ee5d1458a0f3266c6986afd1.jpeg

Had to try the eggs with breadcrumbs and vinegar. Not nearly as enamoured of it as others seem to be. 

I think the choice of breadcrumbs matters a lot. The first time I made it it was much more impressive than the second time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I think the choice of breadcrumbs matters a lot. The first time I made it it was much more impressive than the second time

I suspect you may well be right. All I had on hand were breadcrumbs made from the equivalent of Wonder bread. Sad. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On 11/17/2019 at 8:33 AM, Anna N said:

i made this a couple of years ago and did not care for it.  It may have been the vinegar I chose.  I'll probably try it again soon since I keep seeing it here.

This morning I made another breakfast from Made in India: Inda Boflo, or spiced Ugandan eggy bread.  Basically, it is a savory and spicy french toast flavored with chiles and cilantro, served with a sweet and spicy tomato-ginger chutney.  It had quite a bit of heat.  I liked it.

1299628294_indaboflo.thumb.jpg.750bc0880cee10a6414261f0759bb519.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt
typo (log)
  • Like 4

Basically, it is a savory and spicy french toast flavored with chiles and cilantro, served with a sweet and spicy tomato-ginger chutney.  It had quite a bit of heat.  I liked it.

This looks delicious. I am not a fan of French toast as we normally think of it but a savoury French toast would definitely hit the spot. Don’t think I could make it looks as mouth-watering as yours!

My 2004 eG Blog