• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

Today:  Egg, bacon and cheese on toasted whole wheat focaccia 

IMG_1524.thumb.jpeg.8ab44276698c14e527d387e154458632.jpeg

I wasn't wild about this batch of focaccia but it toasts up nicely for a sandwich so I'll slice it up accordingly and stash the rest in the freezer.  Cheese is that deliciously rich and creamy Chimay Autumn cheese from TJ's (I hope they have some left as mine is almost gone!) and the bacon is Broadbent's hickory smoked. 

Previously: Pear, bacon and cheese toasty on Sonora wheat baguette.  Bacon and cheese are as above.  Slices of that perfectly ripe bosc pear from the farmers market are under the cheese with more on the side.

IMG_1512.thumb.jpeg.063f41e40969c23dd3f8f7fbf16c0ea2.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

This morning I woke up hungry and wanting something different for breakfast, so I made an omelet stuffed with kimchi, drizzled with sriracha syrup, and topped with sesame seeds and cilantro.  Very satisfying.  I found the recipe in New York Times Cooking.  I used a bit less sugar in the syrup than the recipe calls for, and I also heated the kimchi in the pot I made the syrup in rather than scrambling it into the eggs.  Recipe:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015053-kimchi-omelet-with-sriracha-syrup?action=click&module=Local Search Recipe Card&pgType=search&rank=2

1535086214_kimchiomelet.thumb.jpg.9f09c4daf7e12822621aaef951995041.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

12 hours ago, liuzhou said:

That is beautiful! A work of art!

Thanks!  It was tasty too.  I have a bunch of the sriracha syrup and kimchi left so will be making it again soon.

Today's breakfast, a masala omelet.  Recipe from Meera Sodha's Made in India

552208045_masalaomelet.thumb.jpg.963d5a1f4f7b58bf820ef9d4664a0de8.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

On 11/5/2019 at 7:46 AM, IowaDee said:

You know, if angels dropped down from Heaven and cooked me the best breakfast of my life, I would only be happy until I saw what Moe got.  His is always better than mine.  

@IowaDee,  thank you.  

1069409056_SausageMushroomandLeekQuicheNovember6th2019.thumb.jpg.9648726f62b8ffa72f9714708e6cb974.jpg

Decided to make a Quiche for breakfast. 

Made the all butter pastry and got it into the fridge around 4:30 AM.

The filling was sausage, mushroom and leeks. Along with four eggs, heavy cream, fresh grated Gruyere and Parmesan, salt and pepper. Cooked the filling and left it to cool.

Pie went into the oven around 6:30.

1778387029_SausageMushroomandLeekQuicheNovember6th20191.thumb.jpg.a9dbf91782c8af5e64b6b5f157c9a14c.jpg

Served with a side salad.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Another breakfast sandwich

IMG_1530.thumb.jpeg.27bac26ceeafeef527679e2057e3973b.jpeg

Chimay Autumn cheese, fried egg, Broadbent country ham biscuit slice on toasted whole wheat focaccia. 

Sounds delicious. My first thought when I saw it was "perfect Halloween sandwich" - w/ eyes, a smile, and drool ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

DD3DFFD0-8E4B-43BC-A309-FA7A555D777C.thumb.jpeg.1ebc408d368dcf3a698fdeea782307d0.jpeg

Yesterday I was given a dozen duck eggs for “experimental purposes”.

This was my first experiment. This duck egg was steamed in the CSO — 210°F for 30 minutes. I based the time on postings by others who were cooking chicken eggs.

If I expected anything it was that I would’ve erred on the side of caution and that the egg would not be cooked enough. In truth I felt this egg was overcooked. The yolk was chalky and the white was verging on rubbery. Since these duck eggs weigh give or take 90 something grams I thought an extra five minutes was hardly pushing it. But perhaps it continued to cook a lot more than expected since I did not plunge it into ice water. Oh well 11 more to go. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I OWE you for this one, somehow missed in the book!    It looks fantastic and will soon be on our rotation.  

It's a winner.  Doesn't show up in the photo but the entire underside of those eggs is crusted with those crisp, toasted breadcrumbs - yum!

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Husband came home from an appointment and asked for a second breakfast.   YES!

photo-1.thumb.JPG.475aa4d67c6c71a6acc26fa16d0e8e59.JPG

I AM NOT COMPULSIVE!      He remarked that it was excellent emergency food since we always have eggs and panko on hand.

Thanks again...   Note: I did flip it, hence crumbs on the top.     He likes easy-over.    I would leave mine sunny side up.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

On 11/6/2019 at 9:25 AM, rotuts said:

@Ann_T

your Quiche is a thing of Great Beauty .

I can actually smell it just now

and its killing me !

:P

@rotuts,  Thanks.   It really was good.  I need to bake quiche more often.  I even liked it leftover.  Took a piece for lunch to work yesterday.  

Moe's breakfast.

2111880053_BaconandeggsandtoastedfocacciaNovember8th2019.thumb.jpg.4db42342badd9bf1336ffb354ad1b519.jpg

Bacon and basted eggs with toasted focaccia.

1613393008_FocacciaNovember7th20198.thumb.jpg.e9eecf8d01dcfa5d07c59b2ce8e7e267.jpg

Made wonderful toast with all the little pockets for the melted butter. 

• Like 8

On 11/7/2019 at 6:19 AM, Anna N said:

DD3DFFD0-8E4B-43BC-A309-FA7A555D777C.thumb.jpeg.1ebc408d368dcf3a698fdeea782307d0.jpeg

Yesterday I was given a dozen duck eggs for “experimental purposes”.

This was my first experiment. This duck egg was steamed in the CSO — 210°F for 30 minutes. I based the time on postings by others who were cooking chicken eggs.

If I expected anything it was that I would’ve erred on the side of caution and that the egg would not be cooked enough. In truth I felt this egg was overcooked. The yolk was chalky and the white was verging on rubbery. Since these duck eggs weigh give or take 90 something grams I thought an extra five minutes was hardly pushing it. But perhaps it continued to cook a lot more than expected since I did not plunge it into ice water. Oh well 11 more to go. 

Not sure if you plan to chance another precious duck egg in the CSO but I'll share another data point.  A while back, I cooked some chicken eggs in the CSO @ 210°F for 21 minutes, based on timing given in a Wolf combi oven manual (results shared here).

The yolks were edging towards crumbly but the whites were still tender, not rubbery at all.  I'm OK with that level of doneness for egg salad or making deviled eggs though even for that, I'd probably cut the time down by a minute or two if I were to try this method again.  I'm sure  my result was way overdone for what you'd like to eat on toast.  

56 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Not sure if you plan to chance another precious duck egg in the CSO but I'll share another data point.

I was challenged to experiment with them so I’m not afraid to risk another one. But I am curious.  What  shelf position did you use? I somehow don’t think it matters. For my first experiment which was not too successful the rack or shelf was in the toast position. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I was challenged to experiment with them so I’m not afraid to risk another one. But I am curious.  What  shelf position did you use? I somehow don’t think it matters. For my first experiment which was not too successful the rack or shelf was in the toast position. 

That's the shelf position I used as well and with multiples, I tried to space them evenly. 

• Thanks 1