• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

122C3E92-14EA-412A-9B0F-D2201B4DE410.thumb.jpeg.a60b8e71153a4e0e65df7e7551f583d4.jpeg

Not sure if this is a toasty or a melt!  Toasted rye bread with grated cheddar, cherry tomatoes, scallions and pepper,  slipped under the broiler until the cheese melted. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I'm sure that the novelty of doing hard cooked eggs in the CSO will wear off at some point, but until it does...

@Kim Shook, I haven't done hard cooked eggs in the CSO yet.   How long do they take and what setting do you use?  The super steam setting? TIA.

ETA:  Great looking toast.

Edited by Ann_T (log)

Just now, Ann_T said:

@Kim Shook, I haven't done hard cooked eggs in the CSO yet.   How long do they take and what setting do you use?  The super steam setting? TIA.

I like them very firm, but tender.  I'm finding that I like 23-24 minutes at 210F steam.  Not super steam.  I also used to put them in ice water because that's what all the recipes call for.  Someone here said not to do that because that caused them to be hard to peel, so I've stopped doing that.  And they do seem easier to peel now.  

3 hours ago, Ann_T said:

710295140_SmokedPorkChopandEggsOctober18th2019.thumb.jpg.61d2c8bd1685a1844fec206144c6fa44.jpg

Ham and eggs.  The ham part was a smoked pork chop from a local company on Vancouver Island. 

Seeing this makes me seriously considering adding breakfast to my weekday routine again ...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel

ive never added shrimp to eggs

Ill have to give that some thought.

I know it looks a bit like it, but the scrambled eggs were actually topped with the shrimps. Given that the eggs were quite soft they sunk in a bit ...

If you can get your hands on this type of shrimp, please give the combination a try. 

48 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel

ive never added shrimp to eggs

Ill have to give that some thought.

I have!

i’m sure it would’ve been better with the shrimp that @Duvelhas access to but shrimp and scrambled eggs on toast is a tasty meal no matter what. 

Edited by Anna N
To fix the dictation translation error (log)
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

I know it looks a bit like it, but the scrambled eggs were actually topped with the shrimps. Given that the eggs were quite soft they sunk in a bit ...

If you can get your hands on this type of shrimp, please give the combination a try. 

Y'all with those cold water shrimp aee killing me (referring to Bon Vivant)  

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Not for the first or last time. Boiled duck egg in edible eggcups.

OK a really, really sad admission and a question. Although I am frequently gifted a half dozen duck eggs, I have never boiled one and have not the faintest clue how long is long enough. Can you share your method?  Sure I could Google it but I know you have so much experience with duck eggs that I trust you more than Mr. Google on most things. 

Edited by Anna N
Because the dictation function fails me so often. (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

OK a really, really sas admission and a question. Although I am frequently gifted a half dozen duck eggs I have never boiled one and have not the faintest clue how long is long enough. Can you share your method?  Sure I could Google it but I know you have so much experience with Mr. eggs that I trust you more than just Google on most things. 

Ok. I start with room temperature* eggs which I put into cold water* and bring to the boil. When it is boiling I set my timer for 6 minutes. When it bleeps, I lift them out and run them under the cold tap until I can handle them enough to peel them (I do have asbestos fingers).

That gives me the eggs pictured. If I want a softer yolk, but still set white, maybe 5 minutes is enough.

*My room temperature and cold water is probably warmer than yours. Also, I never, ever keep my (or anyone else's) eggs in the fridge. Nor do the stores or market vendors.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

My room temperature and cold water is probably warmer than yours. Also, I never, ever keep my (or anyone else's) eggs in the fridge. Nor do the stores or market vendors.

Thank you!

So what I am going to do to try to overcome differences between your eggs and water and mine is to take the eggs out of the refrigerator about an hour before I intend to cook them and fill the pot with water from the cold tap at the same time so it’s not quite as cold. Anyway boiled duck eggs are what’s for breakfast at the Nielsen house today. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Thank you!

So what I am going to do to try to overcome differences between your eggs and water and mine is to take the eggs out of the refrigerator about an hour before I intend to cook them and fill the pot with water from the cold tap at the same time so it’s not quite as cold. Anyway boiled duck eggs are what’s for breakfast at the Nielsen house today. 

I look forward to seeing the results.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I look forward to seeing the results.

As I took the eggs out of the refrigerator my brain kicked into gear and I put one back. They’re pretty precious to me and not nearly as ubiquitous as I gather yours are. So it seemed reasonable to try one and see how it works. I will be sure to post my results. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

BDA9013F-B5B3-4E95-BEA7-522722489A2F.thumb.jpeg.d1c0a825a609058aa9d29501ebd4f80a.jpeg

Not quite what I was aiming for since I had set the timer for six minutes but better!  Next time I might try 5 1/2 minutes. But I am over my fear of boiling duck eggs 😁  so thanks again @liuzhou  

Edited to add

and many thanks to @Kerry Beal for bringing me duck eggs!

Edited by Anna N
Forgot my manners. (log)
  • Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

32 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Not quite what I was aiming for since I had set the timer for six minutes but better!

Yes. Look great. Softer than mine. I guess there is ducks and there is ducks. Different sizes and breeds.

The eggs I use are from sea ducks. Don't know what difference that makes!

Post 7777

• Like 2

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

Yes. Look great. Softer than mine. I guess there is ducks and there is ducks. Different sizes and breeds.

The eggs I use are from sea ducks. Don't know what difference that makes!

Post 7777

A very auspicious post!

• Haha 1