• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

3EA7F460-46D2-4D87-93D4-AAD1899C26AC.thumb.jpeg.dc69bfea791a5851d50e7798c3a96bf4.jpeg

I think this will end up being brunch.

inspired by @blue_dolphin, Martha Stewart (Rose’s baked artichokes) And Nik Sharma (baked eggs with artichoke hearts). Frozen artichoke bottoms, cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, bread cubes, Italian seasoning, olive oil and lemon juice and a separately fried egg. 

On more than one occasion, @Kerry Beal and I served the Martha Stewart dish at Eggfests and it went over very well. 

This mashup of more than one recipe did not work out quite as well as it might have. I found it a bit on the dry side and it could certainly have used more cheese. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

3EA7F460-46D2-4D87-93D4-AAD1899C26AC.thumb.jpeg.dc69bfea791a5851d50e7798c3a96bf4.jpeg

I think this will end up being brunch.

inspired by @blue_dolphin, Martha Stewart (Rose’s baked artichokes) And Nik Sharma (baked eggs with artichoke hearts). Frozen artichoke bottoms, cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, bread cubes, Italian seasoning, olive oil and lemon juice and a separately fried egg. 

On more than one occasion, @Kerry Beal and I served the Martha Stewart dish at Eggfests and it went over very well. 

This mashup of more than one recipe did not work out quite as well as it might have. I found it a bit on the dry side and it could certainly have used more cheese. 

Bet it tasted good, though.  Before I read your description, I thought it was turkey and stuffing with an egg on top.  That sounds kind of good, too, actually.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Bet it tasted good, though.  Before I read your description, I thought it was turkey and stuffing with an egg on top.  That sounds kind of good, too, actually.  

If you ever read of me cooking or eating turkey you will know I have finally flipped my lid. I consider it the tofu of the animal world. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, Anna N said:

If you ever read of me cooking or eating turkey you will know I have finally flipped my lid. I consider it the tofu of the animal world. 

Both of my parents disliked turkey as well, so we never had it at the holidays.

It's still not my very favorite thing, and frankly I consider the traditional roasted bird to be about the least interesting thing one can do with a turkey. When my kids were young and I was always broke, I'd often take advantage of holiday-season pricing to pick up a dirt-cheap bird and break it down for several meals. The tenders would be frozen together as one meal, then I'd break down the breasts and hammer them out for cutlets and "not-chicken nuggets" for the kids. Each thigh was a meal in its own right, and so were the two drums. The wings would get frozen together, and they'd be a meal as well. Then the carcass would become a few meals' worth of broth and soup.

In those days the turkeys would go on sale for 69 or 79 cents/pound, which even then was far and away the cheapest thing in the meat case. I'd get 12-20 meals from a normal-sized (ie, 13-15 lb) bird, depending how much frugality our budget dictated at the time. Not too shabby at all.

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3120DC5F-2BF8-4807-9CF1-9F2F76B7847B.jpeg.a5d84ba5ff3b4192fcb444873a074d92.jpeg

Big breakfast today all made on the A4 Box. “Bangers”, fried egg, skillet toasted English muffin and some chutney.  Quotation marks around the sausages because to me they are nothing like bangers but that’s what they are called.

Why a big breakfast on a Tuesday? So glad you asked. I decided today would be a pyjama day and I would play all day long and I don’t want to be interrupted to make lunch. This breakfast will keep me till dinner I hope.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Leftover chocolate babka, freezer treasure. Defrosted nicely, it had only been frozen for about 10 days. Starting the pre-Thanksgiving clean out.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Coconut rice with mango and mint.

IMG_20190921_210537.thumb.jpg.01dd1b4ccbb21c7edbea0cb75be322d7.jpg

I've yet to had a mango better then those that grow on our tree.

I have some every day during this time of year. Usually with a drizzle of coconut cream or along some yogurt. More rarely with some lime zest and chili.

• Like 4

~ Shai N.

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

its odd that ' real ' British or Irish Bangers are so hard to find.

Ive never found them in my area.  I love them.

I sometimes see them at Fresh Market or Wegman's.  I've never tried them because I don't care for the real ones.  My English grandmother used to smuggle bacon and sausage to us when she visited.  I'm not a fan of fiber in my sausage.  Years ago, we went to Bermuda for a week.  The first morning I requested all bacon, no sausage on my "Full English".  When asked why, I explained that I'd had it and just didn't care for it.  The waiters were a cheeky bunch and every morning for the rest of our trip, my bacon came with a flourish - on it's own platter with a silver cover.  😊

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

Moe's breakfast.

552064299_PrimeRibBonesoverpolentaOctober11th20191.thumb.jpg.a497b7f235acf3653dddb77eb3372740.jpg

Braised Prime Rib Bones over polenta.

Cooked in the Breville Pressure Cooker.

I like prime rib bones better than short ribs.

Offered Moe this for dinner or breakfast. He chose breakfast.
I took the same to work for lunch.

I'd hate to think what was for dinner.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou