• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

B3348D52-6A4B-4380-88C9-6625605B8E07.thumb.jpeg.0c315a06e13b873a9741dea2e3d95697.jpeg

Pepperoni and egg onigirazu. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Grandson and I took out for the farmers market this morning; after that stop, we went to the vet and picked up the dog's prescription, and then I asked him if he wanted to get donuts for breakfast. Nope, he said, he wanted Sonic. So to Sonic we went, where he got a grilled cheese and fries and tea, and I got a Diet Coke. Then back home where I fixed myself some yogurt, granola and blueberries.

Healthier than the donut I wasn't supposed to eat, anyway, I guess.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I "borrowed" some tomato and onion from a sauce I was half way through making for dinner later and used them with a bunch of "ravioli" (actually they are wontons* - what's the difference?) Olive oil and black pepper.

2089278484_20190831_2044371.thumb.jpg.1388cae7686e2985bd015e2968a1c393.jpg

*wontons contained pork, shrimp and mushrooms.

• Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Ann_T

Delicious looking dip !

I know you do " Roast Turkey Dinner "  w all the fix'ns

have you made a Turkey Dip ?  same as above , but with home-roast Turkey , and Dip can be either turkey gravy 

or turkey ' jus '

I haven't but I know I would love that.  Usually I make hot turkey sandwiches with fries when I have roasted a turkey.  In fact sometimes I roast a turkey just so I can have hot turkey sandwiches. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

A973F961-0CD2-4B39-BBA3-01F10A9BBC90.thumb.jpeg.b3d9f64cce2470c39f1cab9c10b4dc4b.jpeg

Very late and very lazy breakfast. I hope to do better since my grocery order was delivered today and I have food that I can actually cook.   But I still need fast, easy sources of nourishment in my freezer and so part of my order was a package of Jamaican patties.  

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Home made crispy granola and summer fruits, over yogurt.

The granola has hazelnuts, pecans, almonds, coconut, pumpkin seeds, poppy seeds, brown sugar and a touch of cinnamon and cacao.

IMG_20190809_204422_1.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

On 8/31/2019 at 11:56 PM, liuzhou said:

I "borrowed" some tomato and onion from a sauce I was half way through making for dinner later and used them with a bunch of "ravioli" (actually they are wontons* - what's the difference?)

I’m sure there is an official difference, but I use egg roll and wonton wrappers as “pasta” when making ravioli or cannelloni or lasagna.  Delicious and more tender than any pasta I’ve ever tried.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I’m sure there is an official difference, but I use egg roll and wonton wrappers as “pasta” when making ravioli or cannelloni or lasagna.  Delicious and more tender than any pasta I’ve ever tried.

Yes, I regularly use Italian pasta in Chinese preparations and Chinese noodles etc in Western dishes, more or less at random. I also always use wonton wrappers for ravioli. Also, at least one of my dictionaries defines 馄饨 (hún tún  in Mandarin; wonton is Cantonese) as "Chinese ravioli".

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 9/3/2019 at 11:21 AM, Ann_T said:

Yesterday's breakfast.

342730024_GrilledhotdogsSeptember2nd2019.thumb.jpg.552929d2e6c1f24a9ab3d5da416a4312.jpg

Grilled European wieners on grilled store baked baguette.
I hate traditional hot dog buns so always buy baguettes from the grocery store and cut to size.

Whoa. Wait a minute. @Ann_T. she of the gorgeous bread, uses store-bought hot dog buns?? I am crushed. Crushed, I tell you.

20 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Egg roll wrappers make the very best fruit-and-ricotta turnovers.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

We went to Reidsville NC to sort through my late grandmother’s house this past weekend.  Just grabbed a Hardee’s biscuit on the way down, but we had a great breakfast on Sunday at the Reid’s House Restaurant:

NC9.jpg.7900e9c732b9074ccbad03db1dda5b1a.jpg

Biscuits and sausage gravy, grits, egg, and country ham.  Notice the menu:

NC1a.thumb.jpg.e174c089718a1ab12984957389f6d866.jpg

I can’t remember the last time I saw a reference to “sweet milk”.  And I love that the salads consist of (I’m SURE) canned fruit or Jello and are “seasonal”.  Also, the only “salad” thing on the salad menu is the lettuce under the cottage cheese!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Don’t know what possessed me to think I could eat a big breakfast this morning. I was haunted by the half tomato that I didn’t use last night so decided that I would have a fry up.   I managed to eat it all but one sausage and it will find its way into something in the next day or two.

13B6D472-F2EF-4E3B-8CAB-7BB5F4FC504C.thumb.jpeg.83ff69e46ede22fef34ff156d7e384fc.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 4

My 2004 eG Blog