• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Tomato sandwich on toasted sun dried tomato and basil bread

3DD87E0D-A15B-47BC-BF6A-574B45BDD802.thumb.jpeg.43b1fe1c066f6ad76ae219f612c77544.jpeg

That is beautiful. Did you make that bread? If so, would you please point to the recipe you used, or describe the method?

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

That is beautiful. Did you make that bread? If so, would you please point to the recipe you used, or describe the method?

I did not make it. The bread is from When Pigs Fly bakery in Freeport, Maine. I’m up here for college tours with my niece.  We got this bread, a baby spinach, garlic and onion ciabatta, a blueberry raspberry lemonade bread, a mango pineapple raisin toasted sesame bread, and some huge Bavarian pretzels. You can see all of their breads here.  They ship too.

https://sendbread.com/our-breads/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Fruit Meusli (and industrial strength black coffee)

I get the coffee but I will never be able to understand the muesli.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

All will be rectified tomorrow morning.

Whew.  I thought perhaps that trip to Scotland had dislodged some part of your frontal lobe.  

• Haha 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Whew.  I thought perhaps that trip to Scotland had dislodged some part of your frontal lobe.  

I checked earlier and all lobes are intact if not quite functioning as designed. Maintenance is underway.

(Anyway, muesli is the last habit I'm likely to have picked up in Scotland!. It is no accident that the Chinese for Scotland sounds almost exactly like "Sugarland". My meusli, while being dignity-free was also sugar-free (except for the inherent sugarness of the fruit).))

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

To atone for my disgusting wickedness and yesterday's lapse into the bowels of healthiness with bowls of meusli, today I present a dignified, elevated breakfast fit for the sight of this esteemed company.

Stornoway black pudding (smuggled) and fried duck egg. Tsingtao beer.

1375043164_20190812_1106421.thumb.jpg.a29078bccc010fe9deecb714b861d8b7.jpg

808110929_20190812_1106511.thumb.jpg.3652639b41b7fb30da83844bfccd7acd.jpg

659272986_20190812_1107241.thumb.jpg.b4e45065058802ca5e0f1499bdc0a17d.jpg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Welcome back!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/12/2019 at 12:27 AM, liuzhou said:

659272986_20190812_1107241.thumb.jpg.b4e45065058802ca5e0f1499bdc0a17d.jpg

I just got back from visiting my mom in Nova Scotia. In the town where she lives (Truro) there's a little restaurant, succinctly named Great British Grub. One of their offerings, and a popular one to judge by their sidewalk patio, is a "full English."

We pass by there every morning when I accompany my mom on her morning walk, and on this past visit I watched as a woman picked up her slice of black pudding and daintily dunked it into the ramekin of baked beans, in exactly the same way one might dunk a doughnut or cookie into a cup of tea of coffee. Frankly, that never would have occurred to me.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

20 minutes ago, chromedome said:

One of their offerings, and a popular one to judge by their sidewalk patio, is a "full English."

Stornoway black pudding has nothing to do with a "full English", on account of it being part of a "full Scottish". Totally different thing!

• Like 1

Yesterday was microwave scrambled eggs made nice and soft, tomatoes, bacon, mushers and toast.  Those eggs were so delicious.  DH does the eggs:  15 seconds at a time with stirring in between until you are nearing the consistency you like, then less time with stirring in between until you have the consistency you like.  Clean up is really easy.

DSC03189.thumb.jpg.c76e84e7995713fc6e3bf12341f8a93e.jpg

• Like 11