• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

On 7/31/2019 at 10:13 AM, kayb said:

Sigh. The daughter, a junk food aficionado, had Pop Tarts. I caved. Strawberry. Frosted. Godawfully sweet, but not half bad with coffee.

Figure I'd best get it all out of my system in the event the results of the EGD test next month come back as expected -- positive for celiac disease. After which my goal will be to find out just HOW much wheat gluten I can ingest without causing distress. And I guess the experiments with gluten free baking will have to step up.

Sad to say, if you do in fact come back positive for Celiac, you cannot ingest *any* gluten, be it at the detriment to your future health (you can read about what prolonged gluten exposure can lead to for someone with Celiac).

Once confirmed they will want to see your stomach lining heal and your numbers come back to 0 - meaning zero gluten.  Any exposure subsequent to this will cause (most likely) severe reactions.

My little guy sadly had his first major exposure after an egregious oversight on his mothers part (poor girl felt absolutely horrible) and was throwing up for over 2h, could not keep liquid down, had to take him to the ER to get a strong anti-nausea and get him hydrated again.

Happy to help should you wish for any further insights/advice based on our experiences thus far.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Liquid breakfast ... a visit to the Asahi brewery. Getting toasted at 10.00am on a Sunday certainly has its advantages.

F69124E5-201A-41DB-B3D9-042ED22AC753.thumb.jpeg.5bbb442e394d98c833c66b7ed00b258b.jpeg

B91B3E90-641A-4627-AF7B-CDE54348C130.thumb.jpeg.23e64521ddde46caff484d1fe477180e.jpeg

The “cream cheese puffs” did not buffer much ...

98F3CE7C-3EF3-4355-818E-CAE5EACC53F5.thumb.jpeg.c4b5e78dede149d12023ac5333e21ce4.jpeg

Our guide explained very diligently how to enjoy beer at home ...

E8EC8F5E-1259-4A84-B6C5-3A3391E400E2.thumb.jpeg.b80c5d173cf1cc1b5e5a943127a6f3ca.jpeg

One happy Duvel. Cheers !

1FA1830E-8AE7-4668-A2AD-203B0DA45A0E.thumb.jpeg.3955dba153bafc208733e4e23a073041.jpeg

• Like 15

@shain – that muesli bowl is one of the most refreshing, lovely, and tempting things I’ve ever seen!

A recent breakfast:

DSCN9912.JPG.ecd2ca476647eb28754e42686eb21192.JPG

English muffin – one buttered, the other with my beloved Tiptree Little Scarlet strawberry preserves.  And a bowl of some gorgeous peaches that my in-laws brought us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

Jalapeño tuna salad on toast with TJ's Unexpected Cheddar broiled on top

IMG_1163.thumb.jpg.94a3e07f68d32da05e8e2902a5ccc652.jpg

Wow! Please tell more about the salad, and the method. 

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

No need to be embarrassed about that! Thanks for the info! Oh, did you toast the bread before putting the tuna on, then broil afterward? I'm trying to work out how toasties should be made (talk about embarrassing)...

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

No need to be embarrassed about that! Thanks for the info! Oh, did you toast the bread before putting the tuna on, then broil afterward? I'm trying to work out how toasties should be made (talk about embarrassing)...

Yes, I toasted first, though not to total crispness, then applied tuna & cheese and finally broiled.  All in the CSO. 

Also, I linked to the tuna I have but I've seen jalapeño tuna from the common brands in the supermarket.

• Thanks 1

@Ann_T – Once again, Mr. Kim was peering over my shoulder when I pulled up that last breakfast.  He kinda lost his mind over the tomatoes and back bacon and your toasted bread.  If he had his way, he’d be heading northwest right now.

@liuzhou – those eggs are utterly perfect!

My extremely ordinary breakfast this morning was surprisingly satisfying:

DSCN9934.JPG.f1859be4296cc3bb4c5ed7ee98538630.JPG

Toasted white bread and sage sausage.    

• Like 5

Yesterday, I spied a few gougères in the freezer and thought they'd be just the ticket with egg salad so I boiled up some eggs and this was yesterday's breakfast:

IMG_1170.thumb.jpg.1b0645842d93efaf40c9c0bbe8fd42d8.jpg

There are 3 in the photo, but I ate 5 🙃.

Today, I decided on a 2-course waffle extravaganza.  These are the same yeasted waffles with cornmeal that I made the other day for lunch (posted over here in the waffle thread), frozen and reheated in the CSO to their delightful crispiness.   I got the waffle recipe from the LA Times but I know people have firewall issues so when I was looking for the recipe on other sites, I saw this one from Sunset which includes 2 more topping options in addition to the apple cider syrup that appears in most other versions.  I figured I'd try them today.

First up is the Praline Bourbon Bacon Syrup Topping.  Adding the toasted pecans and diced bacon to the brown sugar syrup cooled it to the point that it almost solidified on the waffles, which I didn't expect but it makes it a very praline-like topping.

IMG_1171.thumb.jpg.34f41f7a05ecba8aba7a1f1d18786a3c.jpg

I added more bacon & pecans after I took this photo. 

After an interlude of floor mopping, I moved on to my second waffle course with Rosé-Steeped Strawberries with Vanilla Whipped Cream Topping

IMG_1174.thumb.jpg.a9dec9429ef7d8188fc33997bdc8dbb2.jpg

These berries are the Seascape variety from Harry's Berries and are perfect on their own but I liked the way the acidity of a dry rosé (I used a Tavel) prevented the syrup from tasting overly sweet and enhanced the berry flavors. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Woke up starving.  Toasted a piece of bread, minced red pepper, minced onion, some smoked ham and an egg.  

Voila - western sandwich....with Miracle Whip and ketchup. 😉

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

4 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Voila - western sandwich....with Miracle Whip and ketchup😉

Okay, now you're just trolling us. :P

• Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Woke up starving.  Toasted a piece of bread, minced red pepper, minced onion, some smoked ham and an egg.  

Voila - western sandwich....with Miracle Whip and ketchup. 😉

30 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Okay, now you're just trolling us. :P

Indeed.  I clicked "like" on that post while reading about the toast, red pepper, onion, ham, egg and ketchup. Sounded good.  Then  my eyes somehow darted back and saw what I'd missed.  I quickly removed my "like"

• Haha 2

Country ham on a savory scone with fresh peach slices

IMG_1186.jpg.2c0d2aed67a6a7ffb15cc9e90ccfc449.jpg

The freezer dive that unearthed the gougères I had the other day also revealed a bag of unbaked Cream Cheese Radish and Dill Scones from Sister Pie.  I cut these a good bit smaller than the recipe does.  They are rich so this was plenty.

I pulled one out and while it was baking in the CSO, I mixed up some Dijon and mayo and browned up a Broadbent country ham biscuit slice. 

Truth in advertising requires me to say that only half of the ham is pictured above.  After a bite, I determined the meat:bread ratio was off so I separated the scone halves and gave them each a smear of mustard and a piece of ham.  Excellent!

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

It is a gloriously cool morning here!!!!

There is a pan of scalloped potatoes in the oven right now and I'm two cups of decaf into the day.  

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites