• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Moe's Sunday breakfast.

I made a pot of chili on Saturday and we had it for dinner with homemade flour tortillas.

1625007438_ChiliandToastJuly28th20191.thumb.jpg.793b517e88a637e22beeb9240514942e.jpg

Moe requested a bowl for breakfast

1732361182_ChiliandToastJuly28th2019.thumb.jpg.7ee2c2a8bfbd11500ffbb0ae3c17890d.jpg

with toasted baguette.

My kinda breakfast.   The toast is the Achilles heal for me.   A weakness for sure 

• Like 2

The mishpacha came by on Saturday for brunch.  On Friday, at 9 AM, I was at Russ & Daughters, waiting on line while a million tourists pretended they knew how to order appetizing. They didn't, but I hung tough:

X1q49vN.jpg

Clockwise, from top left: smoked sable, Scottish smoked salmon, R&D's famous whitefish salad, Gaspé nova. Primer.

Also, 2 styles of pickled herring, 2 types of cream cheese, assorted bagels, black bean salad, house pickled onions, beautiful tomatoes, capers, etc. etc.

Melons and berries for dessert.

Twas good.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

54 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo

yes , I tried my best not to stare at the Sable.

my favorite.   not locally available

And I Thank God Every Day , as does my Bank Manager !

It has actually gotten (almost) as expensive as the sturgeon!

Fear not, that it's not available locally. For it's available to all:  See here.

• Sad 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

25 minutes ago, weinoo said:

But when you think about it, it's certainly not anywhere as expensive as jamon Iberico, hand sliced!

And a lot of these super-expensive super-flavorful products carry enough bomb to satisfy in small quantities.    Okay, your mileage may vary...

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

An aside...we agreed to take friends along on a visit to France.    I took them to all of our top food sites.   At Iberico Iberico, I instructed them to go in, sample and buy a small amount.   The husband pole-vaulted back out the door, red faced, and screamed at me, "Do you know how expensive that ham is?"    Barely able to speak to him, I responded, "Do you know that shrouds have no pockets?"  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

1 minute ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

And a lot of these super-expensive super-flavorful products carry enough bomb to satisfy in small quantities.    Okay, your mileage may vary...

Yes - a 1/2 oz. serving of each of the 4 items is more than enough.

I've gotten quite good, over the years, at knowing how much appetizing to order for various sized parties.

And I've gotten expert at having enough left over for a few breakfasts for Significant Eater and me!

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

leftovers ?

never heard of them.

I lived in Spain for two years long ago

prices were different then.   

Im all set on the various Spanish Hams , and chorizo

but there are some types of chorizo i wouldn't mind having right now.

• Like 1

They're really not leftovers, per se, as I never put them out or platter them in the first place.

I tend to buy 6 oz. of product, and platter 4 oz. of product (ymmv) - though I do tell my guests there is always more lurking around somewhere.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@weinoo

"  I never put them out or platter them in the first place ""

very sneaky.    Nice !

money-mouth.gif.3185d30f7243ea30035776fd050205e9.gif

I didn't think their could possibly be leftovers

Ill keep that ion mind the next time I stop over.

Sigh. The daughter, a junk food aficionado, had Pop Tarts. I caved. Strawberry. Frosted. Godawfully sweet, but not half bad with coffee.

Figure I'd best get it all out of my system in the event the results of the EGD test next month come back as expected -- positive for celiac disease. After which my goal will be to find out just HOW much wheat gluten I can ingest without causing distress. And I guess the experiments with gluten free baking will have to step up.

• Sad 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

IMG_7351.thumb.JPG.bb4f30e1ccb87fdc657a07acb8731ac9.JPG

This is, sort of, an homage to @Anna N, after seeing her beautiful breakfast toast shots.

There is, atop the CSO toasted rye, smushed avocado, fried eggs well peppered, grated Cabot sharp cheddar, tomato. Those farmer's market eggs, though...

IMG_7008.thumb.jpg.1aa0017d6835ecb437aacdad4c6c717c.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

47 minutes ago, weinoo said:

This is, sort of, an homage to @Anna N, after seeing her beautiful breakfast toast shots.

For me "breakfast toast shots" conjures an entirely different mental image.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou