• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

19 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Kookoo Kadoo (zucchini kookoo) and tomato cucumber salad, both from Bottom of the Pot

IMG_0907.thumb.jpg.739feb90cf16c74caa8fb852bfe0aa82.jpg

All I can think of is The Beatles song "I am the Walrus".  Been hanging out with the Reeds waaaayyyyyy too much.

22 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Soft boiled eggs, toast, and bacon:

DSCN9675.JPG.8e42f5b14dc019977103db7e8aebfd30.JPG

That has two of the three things one of our guests at the Chequit Inn demanded for breakfast every morning...

Crispy bacon

Dark toast

Hard eggs

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 6/1/2019 at 12:30 PM, suzilightning said:

All I can think of is The Beatles song "I am the Walrus".  Been hanging out with the Reeds waaaayyyyyy too much.

That has two of the three things one of our guests at the Chequit Inn demanded for breakfast every morning...

Crispy bacon

Dark toast

Hard eggs

Dark toast!  Pale toast is my nemesis. I detest it when my toast comes and it resembles stale bread.  I do hesitate to send it back since the occasion awhile ago when I did and the kitchen sent back what we dubbed "revenge toast".  It was like a slice of charcoal!  😄

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Dark toast!  Pale toast is my nemesis. I detest it when my toast comes and it resembles stale bread.  I do hesitate to send it back since the occasion awhile ago when I did and the kitchen sent back what we dubbed "revenge toast".  It was like a slice of charcoal!  😄

...and John would be scraping all that "dark" off "because it can cause cancer" according to him.  For him I set the toaster level at 1.

The last week or so my breakfast has been a cold strawberry Glucerna I put into a pint glass and add some local strawberries I pureed.  Great way for me to start off some warm mornings.

• Haha 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Breakfast these days  is something like this :

Breakfast.thumb.jpg.131ee931a114be4f14eb9091e4540c46.jpg

TJ's sourdough toast ( Pigs that Fly )   two generic eggs , saute'd / steamed.

two Jones pork breakfast sausages , original flavor , but microwaveable  ( yes , micro'd :  you get the seconds just right and they are decent..2 seconds too long , cardboard )

money-mouth.gif.f68ffdca7ebd31de64e2cc7b95d84625.gif

Tomatoes-on-the-Vine  : toothsome they are !

suprise.gif.01f3c219dcc48b0ef3f737b3115ed126.gif

Ill try to remember to use a bigger plate.

no money shot.  yolks get eaten whole , after careful trimming of the whites.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Moe's Breakfast.

As I have mentioned on more than one occasion, I don't care for salads.

And I'm not really much on breakfast either.

So morning is always a good time to make something that I know that Moe will like and I don't have to eat.

This morning I grilled him Italian sausage and made a salad. 
Tore apart one of my baguettes and toasted the croutons in the oven with butter and olive oil and tossed in a couple of cracked garlic cloves. 

Thanks to @David Ross, for the idea of just tearing apart the bread.  Usually I cut it into cubes. 

1861703774_ItalianSausageandSaladJune11th2019.thumb.jpg.2a10900d98980b731954087060d6ce41.jpg

Salad was arugula , roasted red peppers, cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, white onion and feta cheese.

Dressing was a simple vinaigrette with olive oil, garlic,  Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and dried basil. Finished with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 7

19 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Moe's Breakfast.

So morning is always a good time to make something that I know that Moe will like and I don't have to eat.

This morning I grilled him Italian sausage and made a salad. 
Tore apart one of my baguettes and toasted the croutons in the oven with butter and olive oil and tossed in a couple of cracked garlic cloves. 

Thanks to @David Ross, for the idea of just tearing apart the bread.  Usually I cut it into cubes. 

1861703774_ItalianSausageandSaladJune11th2019.thumb.jpg.2a10900d98980b731954087060d6ce41.jpg

Salad was arugula , roasted red peppers, cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, white onion and feta cheese.

Dressing was a simple vinaigrette with olive oil, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and dried basil. Finished with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

Delicious and thanks.  Your photography always draws us on just how delicious the food and breads are.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ann_T said:

You get the Good Spouse Award here. Faced with the same circumstances (I am not) I might be inclined toward a friend's approach to her husband's breakfast: "The Cheerios are on the top shelf." xD

Wisecracks aside, I compliment you (in no particular order) on your early-morning energy, your food sensibilities, and your food photography. :) 

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 6/11/2019 at 8:48 PM, Smithy said:

You get the Good Spouse Award here. Faced with the same circumstances (I am not) I might be inclined toward a friend's approach to her husband's breakfast: "The Cheerios are on the top shelf." xD

Wisecracks aside, I compliment you (in no particular order) on your early-morning energy, your food sensibilities, and your food photography. :) 

Thanks @Smithy.    

I had to laugh, because cereal is Moe's go to meal when I'm at work.    Even if I have left something for him, apparently pouring cereal into a bowl and adding milk is easier. 

Today's breakfast.

991242485_StrawberryShortcakesJune13th2019.thumb.jpg.5295062ec64e6692fb44388210019dbd.jpg

This was suppose to be dessert last night, but it was just too hot to turn the oven back on and no one was hungry for dessert anyway, so........

baked the shortcakes this morning and Moe had strawberry shortcake for breakfast. 

• Like 10

Now that is my idea of The Breakfast of Champions!  There is never a wrong time for Strawberry Shortcake.  And bless you for not

using those nasty store bought sponge things.  They are an affront to a ripe berry!

• Like 3