• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

On 4/6/2019 at 1:03 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Another version of Avocado Kimchi Toast, this time on toasted bacon bread with an egg on top:

1635202777_IMG_0624(1).thumb.jpg.b1cc62c2c7f6bab1fa8386ed996397e1.jpg

The basic recipe is from Julia Turshen's Small Victories

Toasted bacon bread?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Toasted bacon bread?

I bought the bread at a local bakery and they incorporate a generous amount of bacon in the loaf, made with a Sonora/Red Fife whole grain blend that they grow and mill.  

There's a picture of the unadorned toast back in this post

Next time, I'll try to capture it sizzling so deliciously when it comes out of the CSO!

• Like 6

Cottage cheese (unsalted) with a little honey goat cheese mixed in, chopped apple. The goat cheese was sweeter than I had anticipated and fairly crumbly, so I was trying to think of alternate ways to use it. It worked well in the mix.

• Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

a quarter of a small quiche Lorraine I picked up at my local Shoprite.  For 3.99 USD it gives me two breakfasts or a breakfast and two snacks and is better than I could make myself.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Just now, HungryChris said:

Cheese, crackers and fruit.

HC

IMG_0149.thumb.JPG.7b92635631e117ab8f0d884d4d4abba8.JPGIMG_0150.thumb.JPG.a5c0eacbe27d14cd2763818a24af5428.JPG

YEAH!!!!! Pears to go with that blue cheese.  

As a side note - @HungryChris have you ever tried Ewe's Blue from Old Chatham Sheepherding company?  It's really tasty and I also use it to make a killer blue cheese dressing.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:25 AM, suzilightning said:

YEAH!!!!! Pears to go with that blue cheese.  

As a side note - @HungryChris have you ever tried Ewe's Blue from Old Chatham Sheepherding company?  It's really tasty and I also use it to make a killer blue cheese dressing.

No, I never have, but I am always on the lookout for good blue cheese. There is not a great selection around here and I have yet to try mail order.

HC

Continuing that sweet theme, I made myself a small but decadent cup of salted caramel sipping chocolate to take the chill off the early morning but the real reason was to use these cups:

IMG_0643.thumb.jpg.88b9a4fac02a377ad969ea9316e3081e.jpg

I recently spent a week back at my late mother's house sorting through things.  These little cups and saucers from a Limoges chocolate set were among the items that I packed in an abundance of bubble wrap and shipped to myself at ridiculous expense.  They arrived yesterday, none the worse for the experience.  

I don't know what happened to the graceful pitcher that went with them but I remember eyeing the set in my grandmother's china cabinet when I was a little girl.  The cups were almost child sized and I was absolutely enchanted to learn that they weren't for coffee or tea but for CHOCOLATE - it was something out of a fairy tale!  I never saw anyone use them but I'm going to.   Can I interest anyone in stopping by for a hot toddy?

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

25 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Continuing that sweet theme, I made myself a small but decadent cup of salted caramel sipping chocolate to take the chill off the early morning but the real reason was to use these cups:

I recently spent a week back at my late mother's house sorting through things.  These little cups and saucers from a Limoges chocolate set were among the items that I packed in an abundance of bubble wrap and shipped to myself at ridiculous expense.  They arrived yesterday, none the worse for the experience.  

I don't know what happened to the graceful pitcher that went with them but I remember eyeing the set in my grandmother's china cabinet when I was a little girl.  The cups were almost child sized and I was absolutely enchanted to learn that they weren't for coffee or tea but for CHOCOLATE - it was something out of a fairy tale!  I never saw anyone use them but I'm going to.   Can I interest anyone in stopping by for a hot toddy?

That's a great invite, those cups are lovely.  Will Michael and Patrick be joining us?  Oh wait, we don't live near each other!  Salted caramel chocolate - how do you make this?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

That's a great invite, those cups are lovely.  Will Michael and Patrick be joining us?  Oh wait, we don't live near each other!  Salted caramel chocolate - how do you make this?

I made it the laziest way - 3T from a packet of salted caramel sipping chocolate from Trader Joes stirred into 1/3 cup hot milk 🙃!  They sold it in a gift tin around the holidays with three flavors and I think they sold this flavor on its own as well.

IMG_0646.thumb.jpg.e5fbdf4374e7cabefee8f81b013cbc22.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Beautiful cup and saucer.  I love things like this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!  I adore violets.  I used to have a violet cup and saucer until the cup shattered.  My bridal bouquet consisted or white violets, grandmother violets and blue violets along with lily-of-the-valley we picked from the side yard of my mom's house almost 37 years ago.

• Like 2

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

@blue_dolphin - that is a beautiful cup and saucer. I have my grandmother's chocolate set! I always wondered whether it was REALLY for hot chocolate, as she said, because I'd never heard of chocolate sets from anyone but her. Guess I know now. 

Let's make a deal: I'll come by for hot toddy next time I'm in the area, and you come up for an equally decadent chocolate drink at our place! 

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

After a short night (flight was delayed and we arrived at the hotel at 3.00am) the first breakfast in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

All sorts of sambols, sauces, black chicken curry, fish curry, idli. Followed by a masala dosa and buffalo milk curds with treacle. Very satisfied ... and back to bed 😉

CAFBD6A3-FB2A-47AA-9ACB-9051F9568A0C.jpeg

B2870C7A-B497-407F-93F3-0BEC7B41F5C4.jpeg

BC3EC9BA-88FF-4D98-9CE0-CA2075CEF8D6.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

And for today's brunch, a dish I wanted to make for a long while.

I took advantage of what is likely one of the last chilli days of this year to make a kubaneh.

Kubaneh is a jewish Yemenite bread, which much like jachnun (another Yemenite pastry), is baked all night long in order to be eaten on Shabbat. Many jewish dishes from across the world are similar in being cooked over night to be served on Saturday - cholent (Europe), tbbit (Iraq), skhinna (Morocco) , kugel (Europe).

The kubaneh is made of a simple sweetened bread dough, with butter rolled into it. It is lightly flavored with fenugreek and nigella.

After being slowly baked all night, it develops a butterscotch flavor, without being sweet.

Along with it I also baked eggs, which together with zchug and mashed tomatoes are a customary eaten together.

Some ouzo subs for the more traditional arak.

I also had some with yogurt and honey.

IMG_20190406_130936.thumb.jpg.02fd1599a11b5e5c6b1260227a9c2566.jpgIMG_20190406_131021.thumb.jpg.78f91d59335816dbb7c45e3f6d3524c6.jpgIMG_20190406_131042_1.thumb.jpg.687a3a4ef87c3bdb6db9665a55fb5ab1.jpg

If your wheater still allows, consider making it - very easy to make.

• Like 11

~ Shai N.