• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

Oh Lord.....killing me again....so if a person was to order one of your beautiful wooden boards, does it come with buttery toast as in your picture above?  😍Or, is the toast extra.🙈

Edited by Okanagancook
Add a comment (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Huh. I'd'a never thought of it. Thanks. Will be trying this one. I regularly freeze unused cornbread, but it usually goes in dressing.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

avo2.jpg

Pitted avo filled with flying fish roe (salmon or even real sturgeon caviare. would be better of course, but not available to me). Dressed with a mildly vinegary,  simple vinaigrette of oil and white Chinese rice wine vinegar. Served with cold, Chinese sea grass and black pepper.

Also posted in the Avo Cook Off topic.

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I also had buttermilk biscuits with ham for breakfast but I refuse to post a picture of my sorry biscuits next to @Ann_T's perfection!  

Aren't they wonderful. If you haven't been to AnnT's website...it is worth the time.  So many excellent looking recipes and information....down the rabbit h......

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2019 at 9:43 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Breakfast from Shaya

fullsizeoutput_395c.thumb.jpeg.939e5c6c495e53d6c7e1dd65238d1cb3.jpeg

Lamb kebabs tucked into whole wheat pita (both of which were reheated in the CSO) with tahini sauce, Israeli salad with preserved lemon vinaigrette and a little hummus that I didn't end up eating. 

That look so good

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

http://igodl.com/blog

Make it a great day, put a smile on your face

@blue_dolphin  Don't leave us hanging......more about the bacon bread please :)

My mold is here!  My mold is here!

thumbnail_IMG_6001.jpg.9b54d5244c9318fee7238a2e7dea3f73.jpg

Kinda fun to get a little package from Japan.

Not sure it helped me make my onigirazu any prettier 🤣

Egg, salmon and pickled mushroom.  Sounds weird, but it was good.

thumbnail_IMG_6005.jpg.01fbc42257fd64631dbbcbe3c957d36f.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

@blue_dolphin  Don't leave us hanging......more about the bacon bread please :)

My mold is here!  My mold is here!

I ordered one of those molds, too, and it arrived yesterday.  I think I need some bigger nori sheets.  Yours looks delicious, @Shelby!

The bacon bread was not made by me.  I bought it at Roan Mills, a local business that grows and mills the grains and bakes bread.  They had samples of the bacon bread made with their Sonora Red Fife blend out last weekend and that lured me into buying a loaf.  I sliced it and am hoarding it in the freezer.  They really put quite a lot of bacon in it.  I like it best when it's toasted and the bacon gets crisp and starts to sizzle.

• Thanks 1

The breakfast of champions (rural Germany edition): Mett (raw spiced pork) and Fleischsalat (sliced up Mortadella with cucumbers and egg in mayo). Will keep you full the whole day ...

5EF936E2-8F6B-49FA-B85B-0E9CA576A361.jpeg

1561BB34-B4D8-4B0B-A6CE-F859847F1A83.jpeg

7006245A-5439-4D5A-AE5C-DCA6EDE57E24.jpeg

8803F15C-FEDB-4536-9B62-B39BCFE8C997.jpeg

B3FB00B1-6420-48C0-9C3F-6FCE3C5E10E3.jpeg

• Like 8

Today's tuna confit deviled eggs are closer to Kenji's as I mixed the yolks with some of the olive oil used to confit,  no mayo. 

IMG_0548.thumb.jpg.f7ddeccd9dcd6f3f9c3077e510bd0515.jpg

Same mix-ins as yesterday - capers, preserved lemon and red bell pepper.  Topped with pickled onions. 

Kenji's recipe calls for 1 oz tuna/egg AND he adds extra egg yolks.  Not sure how one could get all that back in the eggs.  I skipped the extra yolks and still had enough extra to spread on a small slice of toast.

• Like 9

Jumping on the onigirazu bandwagon with attempt # 1

2101178981_IMG_0569(1).thumb.jpg.0a296c7f2d880f5475e528bc3a89d0ba.jpg

Confit ahi tuna (mixed with a little mayo and yuzu hot sauce) and avocado.  I sprinkled a little furikake on top of the avocado. 

Obviously, practice is needed!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 6

@blue_dolphin, I can see that confit tuna has been taking you a long, long way. I'll have to try that when I can lay my hands on some good tuna.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

10 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Jumping on the onigirazu bandwagon with attempt # 1

2101178981_IMG_0569(1).thumb.jpg.0a296c7f2d880f5475e528bc3a89d0ba.jpg

Confit ahi tuna (mixed with a little mayo and yuzu hot sauce) and avocado.  I sprinkled a little furikake on top of the avocado. 

Obviously, practice is needed!

Wow!  You did great!  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Smithy said:

@blue_dolphin, I can see that confit tuna has been taking you a long, long way. I'll have to try that when I can lay my hands on some good tuna.

Well, I really shouldn't have made a full pound of it as I'm not sure how long it's good for and I'm not the world's biggest eater! Some recipes say 2-3 days, some a week or even 2 weeks.  It's absolutely lovely stuff and I don't want to waste it so I've been on a mission to use it up.  It's been a fun exercise.  

I'll certainly make it again but will probably make 1/2 lb at a time. 

25 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Wow!  You did great!

Thanks!  I was kind of messy at wrapping it up, but luckily it doesn't really show.  They make a great little breakfast, don't they?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Well, I really shouldn't have made a full pound of it as I'm not sure how long it's good for and I'm not the world's biggest eater! Some recipes say 2-3 days, some a week or even 2 weeks.  It's absolutely lovely stuff and I don't want to waste it so I've been on a mission to use it up.  It's been a fun exercise.  

I'll certainly make it again but will probably make 1/2 lb at a time. 

Thanks!  I was kind of messy at wrapping it up, but luckily it doesn't really show.  They make a great little breakfast, don't they?

No, I think you did perfect.  And yes, they are SO good.

• Like 1