• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

31 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Those eggs @blue_dolphin - what's your, as rotuts would say, Rx?

My standard 6.5 min egg. Large eggs, direct from the fridge into boiling water for 6.5 min, then ice water til cool enough to peel.

The nice orange yolks are courtesy of my farmers market egg peeps who pasture the chickens in an organic orange grove so they get to run around and eat grubs & bugs and other tasty stuff.

• Like 5

According to  Moe, this was the best breakfast sandwich ever.( I love feeding him)

30400270_PrimeRibMarch1st2019.thumb.jpg.97d676041d2261d627d151a913542369.jpg

I had planned to roast this small Sterling Silver prime rib for dinner. I pre-salted it a couple of days ago.

Instead I roasted it this morning and

1457259774_PrimeRibMarch1st20191.thumb.jpg.0829d7fbea8297504d27fea056e84080.jpg

made Beef Dip Sandwiches on homemade baguette for breakfast.

509112589_PrimeRibMarch1st20193.thumb.jpg.ac4aa003dcf6d963037ea4a8690d22b5.jpg

I'm taking the same thing for lunch.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 6

Good grief, I'm following that gorgeous, crusty bread and glistening, succulent beef with Boiled Kale on Toast!

IMG_0290.thumb.jpg.e66d3c825abf40f0c06b28a8f03f6f02.jpg

From the Zuni Café Cookbook, this is one of the 4 ways this boiled kale is used.  The thick slices of bread (I used the Pan de Pueblo from a local bakery that uses some of their own milled corn), rubbed with garlic,  float on the boiled kale long enough to soak up some of the pot liquor and are topped with the kale, ribbons of prosciutto, shaved pecorino Romano, black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

meatloaf sandwich on rye.  as far as I am concerned the ONLY reason to make meatloaf is for the sandwiches later.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

11 hours ago, suzilightning said:

meatloaf sandwich on rye.  as far as I am concerned the ONLY reason to make meatloaf is for the sandwiches later.

My meatloaf is labor intensive. The "night of" I don't appreciate it nearly as much as my husband and guests. I don't even care about it.. But the next day and the next after that is an unadulterated--and adulterated-- thrill. That's when dijon mustard comes a knockin'. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, scamhi said:

made a scramble this morning. Steak, potato, jalapeño, and onion

IMG_4161.jpg

IMG_4162.jpg

IMG_4163.jpg

high falutin' eggy potatoes😁

sour cream(Julia Turshen's) pancakes with blueberries when John eventually wakes up.  In the meantime - maybe should be snacking while eGulleting - some Utz's fried dill pickle chips.  Made a quick trip to the Shoprite for the blueberries,  some Ben and Jerry's non-dairy ice cream for John, chips for him and saw those dill pickle chips and had to have them...

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Lightly  fried broken yolk egg on a lightly toasted flour tortilla was a quick  breakfast this morning 

i have have to be honest, as I scrolled through the photos I wasn’t sure I was on the right topic.   Looked a lot like dinner 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not that I would turn my nose up to this meal at any time of day, here's a fairly breakfast-y breakfast:  an omelet with some fruit on the side. 

IMG_0328.thumb.jpg.d2b40b601de8187a18fba41824568b1f.jpg

Specifically, Madeline's Omelette with Mustard Croûtons & Beaufort Cheese from The Zuni Café Cookbook   

The salad is also adapted from the same cookbook - arugula, fennel, toasted almonds and Cara Cara oranges in a sherry vinaigrette.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

@Shelby

even though your chose to Huff and Puff about snow

is not American Mortadella  

no pistaccio's  

quite the up-grade 

from 

"  Luncheon Meat '

you will have to see  "" Endeavour "   from the beginning to understand this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endeavour_(TV_series)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2701582/

etc.

no cheating please ! 

from the beginning please 

granted it took me to Season 5  Episode 6

to move on to Gin and Fresh Squeezed Lime

no cheating for your own benefit Id say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Onigirazu with egg, tomato and crawfish tails

Obviously my mold hasn't arrived yet.

My mold just arrived! Timely, too, considering it ships from Japan. Very cute, but the push-out flap doesn't look like it will last forever. I ordered it before I discovered the Italian Ashtray technique; area in two dimensions is almost identical. Of course I have already noticed a design flaw: the press-top is fitted, so you can't really adjust the thickness of the rice if you happen to want your rice squares a bit thinner. C'est la vie. On the other hand the life expectancy of an ashtray that routinely gets slammed on a wooden board may not be so great either. Next up is probably a Lox Omelet Onigirazu.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I would never have thought of cornbread for strata!  What a great idea.  It looks and sounds marvelous!  Care to share the recipe?

Thank you. I had made some cornbread the other day that was a bit on the dry side, and it definitely wasn't improving with age. There wasn't much left, but I really dislike food waste so I didn't want to just throw it away. I googled a few ideas, e.g. cornbread crumbs or croutons, but the idea of a strata appealed the most.

In addition to the cornbread, I used two medium sized eggs and I had the tomatoes, deli ham and swiss on-hand so I added those in. I don't normally keep milk or cream around because I don't use much of it, but I do have buttermilk powder from Bob's Red Mill, so I used that in conjunction in with some almond milk, just enough to soak everything. Salt and pepper of course, as well as nutmeg. After letting it sit overnight, I baked it for about a half hour at 350 F.

I was hungry and started to eat it immediately after taking it out of the oven, right after taking this picture. It was a bit soupy (which you can see in the pic if you look closely), so I should have let it rest for about ten minutes. It tasted better as I continued to eat as more of the liquids were absorbed into the bread.

I think a strata is an excellent use of old cornbread and I'll definitely make this again if I have leftovers. But, it didn't quite have the same custardy texture compared to a strata made with regular bread.

Edited by chord (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1