• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

10 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Excellent tutorial Anna!

I actually am using sushi rice--seasoned with rice vinegar etc.  Lol, I thought that's what you were using too.  I like it...

If you like it, go with it!   Certainly won’t do any harm.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

If you like it, go with it!   Certainly won’t do any harm.

Goes to show that my speed-reading doesn't always render the correct results 😂.

But, it is good.  Adds a little zip maybe.  Even if it's not the traditional way lol.

• Haha 1

I do love a latke. I have, on occasion when I wanted to go all out for lunch, done a sort of eggs benedict construction using latkes, pastrami, an over-easy egg and hollandaise. Pretty wonderful.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Anna N thanks for the tutorial. I'm planning a trip to my favorite Japanese everything store to pick up some supplies in the next few days. I didn't see anyone using a barely seared sesame-crusted ahi tuna as a filling, but that would be yummy. Also eggs with tobiko or salmon roe would be great.

I also discovered that before onigirazo became popular, rectangular molds the size of a slice of spam became ubiquitous for making musubi, another serious addiction that must have originated in Hawaii. I believe that in the early days, the empty can of spam was used as the mold for that and the shape became standard. Not being a spam fan by any measure, I can skip that snack.

I spent two mind numbing hours last night and put myself to sleep finally by looking at various videos, testimonials, etc. Indeed, most of the onigirazu enthusiasts seem to favor plain rice, not vinegared "sushi" rice. However, many of these folks are also using some very Western kinds of fillings like all the riffs on the BLT. I did find some videos in which more traditional ingredients, such as raw fish, roe, japanese pickles, tamago etc. were called for along with vinegared rice, so @Shelby, you can consider yourself an innovative subset.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Onigirazu with egg, tomato and salami

IMG_5916.JPG.a8b7ae7988a17ceff119721e7c9fa011.JPG

Overachiever!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

@Anna N thanks for the tutorial. I'm planning a trip to my favorite Japanese everything store to pick up some supplies in the next few days. I didn't see anyone using a barely seared sesame-crusted ahi tuna as a filling, but that would be yummy. Also eggs with tobiko or salmon roe would be great.

I also discovered that before onigirazo became popular, rectangular molds the size of a slice of spam became ubiquitous for making musubi, another serious addiction that must have originated in Hawaii. I believe that in the early days, the empty can of spam was used as the mold for that and the shape became standard. Not being a spam fan by any measure, I can skip that snack.

I spent two mind numbing hours last night and put myself to sleep finally by looking at various videos, testimonials, etc. Indeed, most of the onigirazu enthusiasts seem to favor plain rice, not vinegared "sushi" rice. However, many of these folks are also using some very Western kinds of fillings like all the riffs on the BLT. I did find some videos in which more traditional ingredients, such as raw fish, roe, japanese pickles, tamago etc. were called for along with vinegared rice, so @Shelby, you can consider yourself an innovative subset.

I totally have thought about using ahi tuna...if I can unearth any from the freezer, that will happen someday.

😁I haven't been an innovative anything for many many years so I'll take that lol.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Overachiever!

🤣

I swear these "sandwiches" are helping me use up a lot of lonely lunchmeat.  Don't be surprised if you see a thinly sliced hotdog in there soon.

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I swear these "sandwiches" are helping me use up a lot of lonely lunchmeat.  Don't be surprised if you see a thinly sliced hotdog in there soon.

I actually had these on my shopping list although I’m not fond of hotdogs. I try to keep a list of potential protein sources that don’t require much defrosting or effort otherwise (for that those days when even getting out of bed seems an effort). I think I could easily slice a frozen one and then just stick it in a frying pan for a few minutes and have a filling for one of my rice sandwiches.  But when I arrived at store and looked for something as simple as a hotdog I found the choices overwhelming. Who knew?   I haven’t bought hotdogs I don’t think since my kids were teenagers and they’re in their 50s now.   Life was simple once.  😂

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

There is no end to my infamy when combining cuisines.

CD5DBA53-2705-4B83-B25C-C44014037F5C.thumb.jpeg.30153afa091f75d57e57166912409dd5.jpeg

Japanese onigirazu stuffed with an Egyptian liver preparation. So good!  

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2
  • Confused 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On 2/19/2019 at 7:25 AM, rotuts said:

@Anna N

it the rice ' standard ' sushi rice ?

a little sugar and rice vinegar ?

a rice mold 

wow.  going to have to find one of those !

like this one ?

https://www.amazon.com/A-76529-Onigirazu-Rice-Sandwich-Maker/dp/B011TM17CW/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_79_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5QEWC5P2DBK0GTB6XQEC

thanks for the tutorial

I now note you use ' standard ' rice

Anna and Rotuts made me buy this rice mold.  It's not my fault.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Shelby  Yeah, right!  If I had never found eGullet there are a whole lot of kitchen gadgets I wouldn't have.  

Nor would I likely have my CSO, my Instant Pot, nor about a gazillion cookbooks. On the whole, I'm saying I'm ahead.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

12 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Shelby  Yeah, right!  If I had never found eGullet there are a whole lot of kitchen gadgets I wouldn't have.  

1 minute ago, kayb said:

Nor would I likely have my CSO, my Instant Pot, nor about a gazillion cookbooks. On the whole, I'm saying I'm ahead.

😒

You guys are ruining my blame game.

:raz:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

桂林米粉 guì lín mǐ fěn.

Guilin Rice Noodles

1597611156_Guilinmifennew.thumb.jpg.9afab74adc32ca35ed7e9f8c8b80f65f.jpg

A new place opened just by my home selling this and other noodles dishes. I had to try their take.

Damned good! ¥6 ($0.89 USD at today's exchange rate).

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 2/21/2019 at 7:39 AM, Ann_T said:

The last of the smoked salmon.

Moe's breakfast.

1538166041_EggsBenedictwithSmokedSalmonFebruary21st2019.thumb.jpg.ba7d953b6c92e388771995f4ff419b1b.jpg

Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon on toasted rye with Hollandaise sauce. 

Swear to God, runny egg yolk is one of my most favorite condiments.  I only like salmon as lox/gravlox also, so this post is killing me in a good way.  +1 for the rye bread.

• Like 4