• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

Breakfast for a chilly morning.

Polenta with cornmeal and fresh corn, blended smooth with some cream, milk and pecorino. Mushrooms (edit: and chestnuts) pan fried in butter and thyme, red wine, reduced.

IMG_20190125_204428.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

44 minutes ago, shain said:

I assume you are referring to aged cheeses, to which I'll agree - this recipe doesn't come together my in mind. However, curried cauliflower with paneer is a classic.

Yes, this calls for a "mature" cheddar.  I prefer green vegetables in a curried paneer dish,  just for the color contrast but the flavor would certainly be a good fit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Shain, looks delicious.  I’m a sucker for a plate of grits.  Polenta with fresh corn and corn meal takes it to the next level.  The mushrooms are a perfect pairing 

I forgot to mention my favorite part - there were also chestnuts along with the shrooms. 

🌰❤️

~ Shai N.

Yesterday I made DH a bacon omelette using a method I saw somewhere??

Put the eggs in the blender and whiz until very frothy.

Fry bacon and cut it up.  Pour egg over bacon and cook to your taste.

He said it was nice and light in texture....or maybe that was the bacon talking 😃

DSC02904.thumb.jpg.c04efddd971b616ad890a16933671525.jpg

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Where does the texture pattern come from on that crust?

13 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The bakery where I bought it.

I don't know They are good,  but they are always like that. I did ask once, but it is a small, local chain and the bread is baked in a central bakery, so the staff in the retail outlet didn't know.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Yesterday I made DH a bacon omelette using a method I saw somewhere??

Put the eggs in the blender and whiz until very frothy.

Fry bacon and cut it up.  Pour egg over bacon and cook to your taste.

He said it was nice and light in texture....or maybe that was the bacon talking 😃

DSC02904.thumb.jpg.c04efddd971b616ad890a16933671525.jpg

The omelettes at the Camillia Grill in New Orleans are done like that.  We loved the texture.  I whip mine very vigorously when I make omelettes (which is exactly wrong according to most experts) because we like them fluffy.  Edited to say that the Grill actually does them with a milkshake maker, but it's basically the same technique.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 3

3 sandwiches on mini rye bread - mini rye, cranberry relish, Miracle Whip and some thinly shaved turkey breast.

Could also be put under "Snacking while eGulleting…."

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Huevos Rancheros.

It seems there's no longer corn tortillas for sale anywhere around :( I'll have to order masa harina and make some myself next time. This time, I subbed tortilla chips, which are tasty in their own way, but doesn't feel right.

The tomato and beans flavored with chipotle, plenty of chili, and some cumin, lime. A few toppings.

IMG_20190201_160017_1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

2E687697-B569-4186-AF8B-FBF45D45015D.thumb.jpeg.31e51fd645f31f117e628851e1ef52ab.jpeg

BELT ( Bacon, egg, lettuce and tomato) onigirazu.   Lettuce on this occasion was radicchio.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

back from a quick stop at our local Shoprite(no Ritz crackers, non-dairy ice cream or pomegranate/carrot juice in the house for himself) and a meeting just as it began to really snow around here.  I had picked up some thinly sliced Finlandia lacey swiss.  Had on hand some nice bread, the roasted turkey breast, some fancy pants sauerkraut from Wegmans and Thousand Island dressing.....a Rachel for breakfast with some added spicy bread and butter pickles.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

4 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

a Rachel for breakfast with some added spicy bread and butter pickles.

Gotta tell you that I had to Google this!  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Gotta tell you that I had to Google this!  

I'd never heard of a Rachel until I moved to Richmond VA from the Washington DC area 40 years ago to attend college.  Now, they are everywhere in the US.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 1

I don't do breakfast but when I got up this morning only to find it was a snow day and I had no work I thought of Cream of Wheat.  My Cream of Wheat seems to have expired in 2009.  No matter, it tasted good to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Just now, rotuts said:

@Shelby

wow , what a perfect looking egg !

Im going to have to look into these tasty Japanese ' Sandwiches '

I used to make real deal sushi rice

so  Im on my way !

I think you'd really like these and they are so versatile.

• Thanks 1