• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

@blue_dolphin

Im not sure what the pork PS's are

Ive no doubt tried them, but I can't say

I think the wrapping on those might be ' thick '

pls don't hold me to that

the wrappers on the Thai are much thinner , like WonTongs

there is a Veg version I think

but the shrimp Ive use for some tme

and really enjoy them

tomorrow for sure , or when it warms up

TJ;'s will no doubt D/C  there Thai Shrimp

these ?

https://eatingatjoes.com/2014/08/07/trader-joes-thai-shrimp-gyoza/

I'm not so sure how much or in what way it matters when it comes to pre-made frozen pot stickers or wontons, but if you are making home-made dumplings the type of filling you use does make a difference as to the thickness of the wrapper.The time it takes to properly cook the thicker noodle wrapper for a pork filled pot sticker is too long for cooking a delicate shrimp filling. So for a shrimp wonton or a shrimp potsticker I would advice a thinner wrapper. My potstickers are always pork and vegetable, so I have no experience trying to make a pot sticker with a shrimp filling. My wontons however are always shrimp.

The round pot sticker skins sold for that purpose are often thicker than the square wonton wrappers, although at some of the noodle factories in Oakland Chinatown I have seen varying thickness for both styles. I did try the TJ's dumplings once, but wouldn't recommend them. I found them salty and the filling kind of mushy and indistinguishable. In their defense, however, I've never had any other brand of frozen product, so maybe the rest are worse.

19 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Yesterday I baked a loaf of Japanese milk bread

52364817_japanesemilkbread2.thumb.jpg.015ef65f5a6b6bb506d23e9246e3666c.jpg

And this morning I ate some toasted with marmalade that my husband brought back from London 

2056238666_marmaladetoast.thumb.jpg.f5e3ebf9940ba4dc54abed0be1b41c8a.jpg 

@liamsaunt Magazine worthy.

Yesterday morning I had a craving for Chinese.

242691904_ChineseBeanswithSpicyPorkFebruary2nd2019.thumb.jpg.7cd27f28e28912d8d104ba35a089f30b.jpg

So  I made Spicy Green Beans and Pork in a black bean sauce. 
Moe had it for breakfast and I took the same to work for lunch. 

• Like 7

Moe's Breakfast.
We had lunch out yesterday and I wasn't hungry for dinner
so I made him something good this morning.

1246208898_GrilledSteakSandwichbreakfastFebruary6th20192.thumb.jpg.bf342eeb11d9bb5536a4c7863c571680.jpg

Grilled New York Strip, served on a split baguette,

1530004698_GrilledSteakSandwichbreakfastFebruary6th20191.thumb.jpg.31b324bb62d31eda30b92b355c45f9d4.jpg

also grilled and topped with fried onions and mushrooms.

That should keep him going until dinner.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

I usually don’t eat breakfast, but after our 6 day CNY trip with a slight calorie surplus I felt strangely hungry this morning ...

Homemade “sausage & egg McMuffin” (no idea what would be the correct english name for that thing; I only know it from the Golden Arches), served with baked beans. Messy to eat, but sooooo good !

311732A0-1CDB-4076-949E-8A5DF5BF85B7.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

468CC076-D227-4FB6-9A41-E2852B3432B9.thumb.jpeg.2ea71b936f0ff75207132d37431d8b28.jpeg

Egg and pepperoni onigirazu. ( I was thinking of @kayb  as I made this.  It is in fact a gluten-free sandwich And I know she has a family member who might enjoy  it.)

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I don't know why I read this thread, except to make myself feel deprived or like I am on another planet. I eat breakfast, but I don't make breakfast. Mainly I eat toast with butter. Maybe marmalade. Lately I am crushing on sorghum plus salt on pullman bread. In addition, I am trying to reduce my wheat consumption, so that's added a very annoying dimension to the toast addiction. The only thing that would make me happy would be if I had a pho vendor come up the block every morning so I could run out to the street with my bowl and fill it with rice noodles and hot broth.

Anyway, this is a round about way to give a round of applause to those who actually make/design/cook a real breakfast. Especially those who make it for others! 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

Egg and pepperoni onigirazu. ( I was thinking of @kayb  as I made this.  It is in fact a gluten-free sandwich And I know she has a family member who might enjoy  it.)

Must try this for Cara if I get ambitious. My usual treat for her is fried grits cakes, topped with an over-easy egg. Kid can eat her weight in grits.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 2/2/2019 at 1:39 PM, liamsaunt said:

Yesterday I baked a loaf of Japanese milk bread

52364817_japanesemilkbread2.thumb.jpg.015ef65f5a6b6bb506d23e9246e3666c.jpg

And this morning I ate some toasted with marmalade that my husband brought back from London 

2056238666_marmaladetoast.thumb.jpg.f5e3ebf9940ba4dc54abed0be1b41c8a.jpg 

Would you be willing to share the recipe?  I'm quite sure that I'd love milk bread.  

I made a small batch of the Mustardy Cauliflower Cheese from Ottolenghi's Simple and had it with some toasted rosemary bread

IMG_0167.thumb.jpg.dd97e783003321702f444221047a4733.jpg

This was OK and vegetables for breakfast is always a good thing.  I like cauliflower + curry and I like cauliflower + cheese but cauliflower + curry + cheese isn't the pinnacle of my personal cauliflower pantheon. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

This was OK and vegetables for breakfast is always a good thing.  I like cauliflower + curry and I like cauliflower + cheese but cauliflower + curry + cheese isn't the pinnacle of my personal cauliflower pantheon. 

I assume you are referring to aged cheeses, to which I'll agree - this recipe doesn't come together my in mind. However, curried cauliflower with paneer is a classic.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.