• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

11 minutes ago, hongda said:

Have you tried to sous vide the chawanmushi yet? 

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-japanese-savory-egg-custard

I imagine you in your kitchen with a texture analyzer

https://www.stablemicrosystems.com/MeasureSpringiness.html

Thank you for your interest.  I have not yet tried Sous Vide but I’m certainly willing to add it to my list of future experiments.  As for the texture analyzer, it may have to wait until next Christmas:smile:.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, hongda said:

Have you tried to sous vide the chawanmushi yet? 

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-japanese-savory-egg-custard

I imagine you in your kitchen with a texture analyzer

https://www.stablemicrosystems.com/MeasureSpringiness.html

Hmmm.   After a 2nd cup of coffee to make sure I’m awake I’m having some serious doubts about this recipe. The ratio of egg to stock is certainly off by most other Japanese recipes. Chicken stock is certainly not the usual liquid preferred. Will do further research.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Hmmm.   After a 2nd cup of coffee to make sure I’m awake I’m having some serious doubts about this recipe. The ratio of egg to stock is certainly off by most other Japanese recipes. Chicken stock is certainly not the usual liquid preferred. Will do further research.

What ratio do you use?   I typically use about half a cup of fluid per egg, but it is by no means perfect.  This seems to be the same ratio that Serious Eats uses:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/11/seriously-asian-chawan-mushi.html

17 hours ago, Dejah said:

When Kids come home, I bribe for more frequent visits with treats my Mom used to make for them. This morning, we had my Mom's Steamed Chinese cake. I haven't made this for quite a while, but I still use the old wicker basket passed down from my Mom, along with her recipe. The basket came with us from Hong Kong, 1958! Think it might be time to retire it. Cake is best enjoyed with a glass of ice cold milk or a cup of hot Jasmine tea.
                                                                   834070440_Po-Poscake8222.jpg.722f3525bac7d144dfda241d0e6d839f.jpg

630223695_Po-PosCake8223.jpg.f2c72ba510162a09f3ca7e8239cf3d2c.jpg

1094298242_Po-Poscakebasket8221.jpg.ae9db0937af6264a9fa57abbc293ea13.jpg

That basket doesn't owe you anything for sure!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I would have taken a photo, but I forgot. 

Leftover from yesterday cherry almond coconut muffins, split, spread with butter and toasted in the CSO. I make muffins every Sunday morning for my Sunday school class, and have gradually taken on a mission of trying new muffin recipes. This one has dried cherries, flaked coconut and slivered almonds; I took it on myself to add almond flavoring instead of vanilla. These suckers were GOOD.  Recipe is from The Ultimate Muffin  Book, by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarborough, which I bought a week or so. Next week's version, I think, will be the lemon ginger muffins from the same book.

So there were two of the cherry almond coconut ones left, and they became breakfast today. I may have to give the lemon ginger ones a trial run before taking them to church; a quarter-cup of minced fresh ginger sounds like a LOT of ginger.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, hongda said:

What ratio do you use?   I typically use about half a cup of fluid per egg, but it is by no means perfect.  This seems to be the same ratio that Serious Eats uses:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/11/seriously-asian-chawan-mushi.html

1:2.5 by volume. Eggs to broth. 

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thank you for your interest.  I have not yet tried Sous Vide but I’m certainly willing to add it to my list of future experiments.  As for the texture analyzer, it may have to wait until next Christmas:smile:.

Hmm...wonder what my tax refund will be like?

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 1/5/2019 at 1:30 PM, gfweb said:

@Shelby A spam can makes a fine mold

And you could have a different can for every day.  

SPAM.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

334A5B13-9558-417C-B538-B57942BDEEAE.thumb.jpeg.07b74352a15e1fca42289ed1c4568cbf.jpeg

I reserved a few mushrooms from dinner last night with a view to having them for breakfast this morning. They were foil-roasted with miso, sake, soy and butter.  I reheated them this morning and enjoyed them over some rice.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Twice-baked collard potatoes from Deep Run Roots

fullsizeoutput_396b.thumb.jpeg.85b8b5467aa122dd4d4dbcfda79e82eb.jpeg

Baked potato flesh is scooped out, riced and mixed with creamed collards and crème fraîche, then stuffed back into the shells.  They're browned, cut-side down in a cast iron skillet before being heated through in the oven.

Topped with a boiled egg (which is not part of the recipe) and pickled collard stems (which are.)

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

92D29A4E-1C39-4CCF-87F2-05917854E6D1.thumb.jpeg.5dc32c57aa6713f26cb80ec1d075fc24.jpeg

Niratama donburi. Basically an omelet with garlic chives over rice. The eggs are cooked in an abundance of oil at a high temperature. This is almost the same as a Thai omelette.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

On 1/16/2019 at 9:10 AM, Anna N said:

334A5B13-9558-417C-B538-B57942BDEEAE.thumb.jpeg.07b74352a15e1fca42289ed1c4568cbf.jpeg

I reserved a few mushrooms from dinner last night with a view to having them for breakfast this morning. They were foil-roasted with miso, sake, soy and butter.  I reheated them this morning and enjoyed them over some rice.

I like the idea of miso and mushrooms.

What type/brand of miso do you use, Anna?

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

I like the idea of miso and mushrooms.

What type/brand of miso do you use, Anna?

I have usually 2 to 3 types on hand. I am no expert on miso  and I don’t pretend to be. At the moment in my refrigerator is awase, the one I use most frequently, hatcho (mame) and shiro. 

My 2004 eG Blog

More creamed collards from Deep Run Roots

fullsizeoutput_3973.thumb.jpeg.bd1b907e3aee9cad9f7135f662efab49.jpeg

Unseen at the bottom of the pile is a potato patty I made from extra twice-baked collard potato stuffing, coated with French fried onion pieces and baked until crispy on the outside.  It was then  topped with more creamed collards, a boiled egg and pickled collard stems.

• Like 8

@blue_dolphin -- I will cheerfully bequeath to you my share of all the collards in the world. Any other green, too, with the exception of spinach, which I like raw in a salad but don't care for cooked.

Still not sure how I managed to grow up poor, in the south, in the country, and hate greens, but I do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I remember as kids when, in the Midwest, there was little fresh veg available, my brother loved canned spinach...probably the Popeye effect.  I couldn't, and still can’t, abide it.  Fresh is different.

On 1/17/2019 at 11:55 AM, blue_dolphin said:

More creamed collards from Deep Run Roots

fullsizeoutput_3973.thumb.jpeg.bd1b907e3aee9cad9f7135f662efab49.jpeg

Unseen at the bottom of the pile is a potato patty I made from extra twice-baked collard potato stuffing, coated with French fried onion pieces and baked until crispy on the outside.  It was then  topped with more creamed collards, a boiled egg and pickled collard stems.

Anything with collards and I’m there.  Looks delicious 

• Thanks 1