• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

7 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

According to @nathanm and Co. English muffins are indeed English.  (Though, if so, I grant they may not exactly call them "English muffins".)

American "English muffins" do indeed exist in England, but we don't call them "English" because we know they are! So, we just call them "muffins".

I like them a lot, but agree that a good crumpet is perhaps the better option, depending on my mood.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I love English muffins with butter and honey.

I adore English muffins, and have one for breakfast almost every day.  And I have loved crumpets ever since I stumbled across a package on the day old/discounted shelf at a grocery store.  Before that, I thought they were invented by writers of Regency novels. :P  I used to only eat them toasted with way too much butter.  Then a friend in England told me she eats hers with sliced cheese on.  They are so good with a little smear of butter and a decent slice of whatever cheese is handy (mostly sharp cheddar of some sort).  

• Like 3

3C7BBC1B-F640-48B1-A37C-5481C3BCF8C7.thumb.jpeg.32dd11f325dfea8b846809748d2e05f3.jpeg

Breakfast yesterday.  Still trying to perfect my chawanmushi. After much research and putting together a chart of different times and temperatures and ratios I managed to become distracted and was able to harvest not one scrap of useable data from this experiment.   But the result was tasty and I have another one to eat today.  Science is so damned demanding. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

American "English muffins" do indeed exist in England, but we don't call them "English" because we know they are! So, we just call them "muffins".

I like them a lot, but agree that a good crumpet is perhaps the better option, depending on my mood.

One of my former restaurants was in a rather nice little seaside in. I had a customer stay a week once, an elderly and curmudgeonly English gent (he clearly relished the curmudgeon role) who told me that he looked forward to each Canadian visit, in part, because it had become impossible to get a decent muffin back home.

There's been a decade of enthusiasm for all things artisanal in the bread world since, so I doubt it's still true (if in fact it was, even then). It amused me, though, because he reminded me of a perpetually sour co-worker I'd once had. That co-worker was from New Zealand, and one of his recurring gripes was that it was impossible to get decent lamb in NZ because the good stuff all got exported.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I contend one can only make GOOD French toast with challah. Specifically, with challah, eggs, and heavy cream. Don't be bringing no cinnamon and stuff up in here.

I won the monthly recipe on Food 52 once with that very recipe. "Bell-less, Whistle-less, Damn Good French Toast." Made the cookbook and everything.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

That's fantastic, @kayb!   I adore eggy breads like challah and brioche, but every time I've tried to make French toast with either of them, the inside is just too custardy for me.  I know that that is exactly what some recipes are aiming for, but I find it very unpleasant.  I feel like I'm eating underdone eggs.  Maybe I just soak the slices in the custard too long - about 30 seconds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

That's fantastic, @kayb!   I adore eggy breads like challah and brioche, but every time I've tried to make French toast with either of them, the inside is just too custardy for me.  I know that that is exactly what some recipes are aiming for, but I find it very unpleasant.  I feel like I'm eating underdone eggs.  Maybe I just soak the slices in the custard too long - about 30 seconds.

I don't soak nearly that long. Dip, flip, dip, and onto the griddle.

Don't ask. Eat it.

I was tremendously fortunate when I lived in Hot Springs. There was an outstanding bakery that made challah daily. And I bought it EVERY Saturday morning, and made up the entire loaf in French toast for a teenaged boy, a 20-something girl, and me. 

I miss that bakery, among the many things I miss from Hot Springs.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:35 PM, Kim Shook said:

Those deep holes hold so much more butter!!!

My cousin isn't happy unless they're completely FILLED with butter! :laugh:

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Turkey breast with eggs.  Hoping that protein heavy breakfast will prevent me from eating till it’s lunch time.  We are snowed in and that always makes me cook and eat non stop.

78EB83D4-DD26-4EB3-9B35-B1ADADA61905.thumb.jpeg.456982fc1827a29c6e90ff03f82f4079.jpeg

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb

what type of JDS did you use ?

Ive found the ' tube ' version I get around here overly fatty

https://www.jimmydean.com/products/fresh-sausage/roll-sausage/premium-pork-regular-sausage

I used the tube of sage premium pork sausage.

Edited by gfweb (log)

32 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Ill look for that one

there is not a lot of JDS around here  I was surprised they make so many versions

https://www.jimmydean.com/products

Im happy enough w Jones

No Jones down here. JD is pretty good. Better than the rest except locally made Hatfield, which only comes as patties or links, but no tube. Which is a storage issue. 

See if they carry Tennessee Pride. May just be regional distribution, but it's my preference among supermarket brands. Of course, Petit Jean is wonderful, and you could order it....

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

On 1/12/2019 at 3:54 AM, Anna N said:

Breakfast yesterday.  Still trying to perfect my chawanmushi. After much research and putting together a chart of different times and temperatures and ratios I managed to become distracted and was able to harvest not one scrap of useable data from this experiment.   But the result was tasty and I have another one to eat today.  Science is so damned demanding. 

Looks amazing! Must try...

• Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

When Kids come home, I bribe for more frequent visits with treats my Mom used to make for them. This morning, we had my Mom's Steamed Chinese cake. I haven't made this for quite a while, but I still use the old wicker basket passed down from my Mom, along with her recipe. The basket came with us from Hong Kong, 1958! Think it might be time to retire it. Cake is best enjoyed with a glass of ice cold milk or a cup of hot Jasmine tea.
                                                                   834070440_Po-Poscake8222.jpg.722f3525bac7d144dfda241d0e6d839f.jpg

630223695_Po-PosCake8223.jpg.f2c72ba510162a09f3ca7e8239cf3d2c.jpg

1094298242_Po-Poscakebasket8221.jpg.ae9db0937af6264a9fa57abbc293ea13.jpg

• Like 11

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 hours ago, Dejah said:

When Kids come home, I bribe for more frequent visits with treats my Mom used to make for them. This morning, we had my Mom's Steamed Chinese cake. I haven't made this for quite a while, but I still use the old wicker basket passed down from my Mom, along with her recipe. The basket came with us from Hong Kong, 1958! Think it might be time to retire it. Cake is best enjoyed with a glass of ice cold milk or a cup of hot Jasmine tea.

Well that takes me back in a good way. I was at a Taiwanese neighbor's house long ago and was startled to see her doing a "Western" cake in the steamer. Opening our minds is a good thing. She casually showed me alot that sticks with me.

On 1/12/2019 at 1:54 AM, Anna N said:

3C7BBC1B-F640-48B1-A37C-5481C3BCF8C7.thumb.jpeg.32dd11f325dfea8b846809748d2e05f3.jpeg

Have you tried to sous vide the chawanmushi yet? 

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-japanese-savory-egg-custard

I imagine you in your kitchen with a texture analyzer

https://www.stablemicrosystems.com/MeasureSpringiness.html