• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

OK a really, really sas admission and a question. Although I am frequently gifted a half dozen duck eggs I have never boiled one and have not the faintest clue how long is long enough. Can you share your method?  Sure I could Google it but I know you have so much experience with Mr. eggs that I trust you more than just Google on most things. 

Ok. I start with room temperature* eggs which I put into cold water* and bring to the boil. When it is boiling I set my timer for 6 minutes. When it bleeps, I lift them out and run them under the cold tap until I can handle them enough to peel them (I do have asbestos fingers).

That gives me the eggs pictured. If I want a softer yolk, but still set white, maybe 5 minutes is enough.

*My room temperature and cold water is probably warmer than yours. Also, I never, ever keep my (or anyone else's) eggs in the fridge. Nor do the stores or market vendors.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

OK a really, really sas admission and a question. Although I am frequently gifted a half dozen duck eggs I have never boiled one and have not the faintest clue how long is long enough. Can you share your method?  Sure I could Google it but I know you have so much experience with Mr. eggs that I trust you more than just Google on most things. 

Ok. I start with room temperature* eggs which I put into cold water* and bring to the boil. When it is boiling I set my timer for 6 minutes. When it bleeps, I lift them out and run them under the cold tap until I can handle them enough to peel them (I do have asbestos fingers).

That gives me the eggs pictured. If I want a softer yolk, but still set white, maybe 5 minutes is enough.

*My room temperatureand cold water is probably warmer than yours. Also, I never, ever keep my (or anyone else's) eggs in the fridge. Nor do the stores or market vendors.