• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help Finalize Wine/Food New Years'Eve Pairing

kalenden

Hi,

I asked for recommendations for pairing food/wine for a New Years menu and got many excellent suggestions in. I listed the suggestions with the courses and am now looking to pair things from my cellar. I was wondering if you guys could be so kind as to have a look at my cellar and help pair things from there.

The available cellar is this one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zw...OPF-Pf4fCk/view

Since it is New Year: no price range. The best match and oldest wines prefered!

The Menu and my thoughts:

///////////////////////////////
*Lobster salad *

*Grapefruit - fregula - apple - candied tomato - cocktail sauce *

Suggestions from you guys:

Champagne: type

Blanc de Blancs

Taittinger Comtes

Pierre Peters Grand Cru BdB Cuvée de Reserve

Pol Roger Blanc de Blancs

Pierre Peters Chetillons

Ruinart Blanc de Blanc

From my Cellar: Unsure. Many available options. The Ruinart Blanc de Blancs might work?

*‘Cappuccino’ of ground chicory - scallops - chive cream *

*Toast of chicory, bacon and Reypenaer [type of cheese] *

Suggestions from you guys(also with next course):

White Burgundy

Girardin 1er Vineyard designate Meursaults , richer

Corton Charlemagne is awesome. (C-C Quintessence .

Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey 1er Cru single vineyard St Aubins are excellent

Comtes Lafon Meursault les Charmes.

Kumeu River Chardonnay Hunting Hill. (Mate’s and even the basic Estate “Chardonnay Kumeu” are also good.)

Puligny-Montrachet

Chablis

Sancerre

South African SB

Sauvignon Blanc with a bit of Semillon

Sec or Demi-Sec Vouvray

From my Cellar: Unsure. Many available options. Is there a good solid older white that would work in your opinion?

*Brill [Fish, similar to Turbot] 'à la nage' with Zeeland mussels, gray shrimps and chestnut mushrooms *

*Foamy crustacean sauce *

Suggestions (see previous course)

*Crispy fried veal cheek and thymus [ also known as neck sweetbread ; veal sweetbread] *

*Mousselines of celeriac and parsnip - croquettes of polenta - spring rolls of forest mushrooms - sauce of Porto *

Suggestions from you guys:

red Burgundy

Burgundy from Beaune

Chambolle-Musigny

*morey or Gevrey

Bourdeaux

Cru Beaujolais

rustic Rhone (north or south),

St Joseph (Strong)
rustic Barolo.

Rioja Roda I would be great, though Spanish wines didn’t really come to mind.

Burlotto Monvigliero
Jamet Cote-Rotie

Nebbiolo

Chateau-neuf-du-pape

Pegau, Donjon, etc. I love Pegau.
Pintia

Domaine des Lambrays CdL with a little age or Bachelet Corbeaux with a little age or de Montille 1er Cru Volnays or Foillard Morgon Cote du Py

From my Cellar: Again Unsure. Many available options. I'd prefer something on the stronger side, I guess.

*Apple pie from the oven with figs, raisins and pistachios * *'Globe' of bitter chocolate with speculaas ice cream *

Here I know: D'Oliveira Verdelho Madeira 1966

Any help is much appreciated! Looking forward to suggestions.

Wine Cellar (2).xlsx

Edited by kalenden (log)

I'm afraid I would be out of my depth to suggest choices from your cellar, but I'll point out that your Google Drive document requires access by another Google member, and your approval. Perhaps you could post the document here, so members could see it.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown