• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Manhattan Korean

DonWalsh x

A friend of mine is trying to figure out one of the banchan dishes they have at Kum Gang San - I was hoping someone might be able to help.  She describes it as pickled, with a sort of escargot-like way about it...

Does anyone know what it is?

That sounds like quite a few things. Any chance of a pic or further info?

• 2 months later...

I am in the city for business, but before I depart via bus on Friday, I am determined to take home some Korean food for dinner! All smell issues aside (I have a bag that's well-lined, insulated and able to contain smells that could offend anyone else :wink: ), what dishes would you take home with you? In other words, what Korean dishes make for the best leftovers, and where can I find the best version?

I'm staying in midtown Manhattan on 32nd, among a strong concentration of Korean places, but am willing to do a little running around if necessary. :raz: My only restriction is I don't eat pork. Suggestions, please?

ETA pork caveat.

Edited by Sony (log)

Based on banquo's post above, I went looking for Yangpyung Seoul Haejangguk this evening--a nice hearty, spicy stew was exactly what I was craving. I couldn't find it. A little internet searching upon my return home turned up the information that it has indeed closed and is now a, by most reports, mediocre Korean-Chinese joint called Beijing.

So instead I settled for for jjajangmyun and fried mandoo at Hyo Dang Gak, another Korean-Chinese restaurant, except this one is excellent. I must say it's nice not to have to go to a far-flung Queens neighborhood to enjoy jjajangmyun with hand-pulled noodles and a first rate sauce served on the side. Not exactly what I was craving, but a very good meal, as have all meals been that I've had there.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

I just realized I never posted the name Madangsui in this thread. It's my favorite Manhattan Korean restaurant now. Really great barbecue, plus an excellent 8-dish banchan and a delicious complimentary bowl of dwenjang jigae. 35th St. between 5th and 6th Avs., north side of the street. Try it!

Michael aka "Pan"

• 1 month later...
I just realized I never posted the name Madangsui in this thread. It's my favorite Manhattan Korean restaurant now. Really great barbecue, plus an excellent 8-dish banchan and a delicious complimentary bowl of dwenjang jigae. 35th St. between 5th and 6th Avs., north side of the street. Try it!

How is the quality of the meat there? I'm always looking for something that approaches Japanese yakiniku, i.e. several varieties of Kalbi, intestines, tongue, raw liver sashimi... anything like that? Tough to find in Korea too...

LA Kalbi is 3 (though sometimes 4) short ribs still connected that are cut cross sectionally about a 1/4" thick. The result is a long thing piece of meat with 3 small bones across the top. Though I don't know the exact history of when this cut was first introduced, I can only assume that it originates form LA, hence "LA Kalbi".

Hmm, responding to a message nearly 3 years old... when I asked for this cut at Ottomanelli's, they referred to it as a "kosher" cut.

• 2 years later...

We had a quite fine meal at Do Hwa, on Carmine Street, a place I'd dined at with Fat Guy a couple of years ago (we had a good dinner then, too).

The two Korean diners in our party thought it was quite good, especially the special of cold soba type noodles in cold broth...I still like Japanese soba more. Very nice, if slightly rushed service as our server brought our meats for the bbq before we had finished our appetizers. But, tasty overall and with GROM right up the block for a nice dessert, I'd rather head here for a Korean fix than midtown.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Any updates to the best Korean? What's new and great?

Haven't heard anything new among my Korean foodie friends. They still seem to gravitate towards Madangsui for BBQ and Kun Jip for the more home cooking stuff. However, if there's a specific dish you tend to order/crave, let me know.

Also, for those fans of Korean BBQ, it's slightly off-topic, but probably worth trying Takashi in the W. Village. They're doing pretty ambitious Japanese barbecue (which most culinary historians say is really an offshoot of and based on Korean BBQ).

Edited by LPShanet (log)