• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

eugenep

eugenep

I wasn't writing clearly

hello hello. 

When you braise meat with super salty water the salty water will likely enter the meat until there is some kind of equilibrium that's established between the less salt content of the meat and the salty content of water (based on "science?"). 

When you braise meat in water, a lot of flavor from the meat will escape into the liquid turning it into a stock with flavorless meat at the end of a long cooking period. 

Some braises are trying to cook the meat without pulling out all the flavor from it - like pot roast etc. 

Which makes sense because you want to eat the meat as the main course. 

Some recipes call for heavy wine/herbs/msg in the braising liquid. 

Is the thought here that flavor from the msg/wine/herbs will enter the meat rather than pull it out? 

I mean...is there a technique where I can braise with a liquid/water without pulling out the fla-va? 

And does braising liquid with a lot of flavor actually put flavor into the meat (like how salt will go inside the meat in a brine)? 

I'm always afraid to braise with too much liquid or water just because I think the liquid will pull out all the flavor in my meat. 

thanks amigos/amigas 

eugenep

eugenep

I wasn't writing clearly

hello hello. 

When you braise meat with super salty water the salty water will likely enter the meat until there is some kind of equilibrium that's established between the less salt content of the meat and the salty content of water (based on "science?"). 

When you braise meat in water, a lot of flavor from the meat will escape into the liquid turning it into a stock with flavorless meat at the end of a long cooking period. 

Some braises are trying to cook the meat without pulling out all the flavor from it - like pot roast etc. 

Which makes sense because you want to eat the meat as the main course. 

Some recipes call for heavy wine/herbs/msg in the braising liquid. 

Is the thought here that flavor from the msg/wine/herbs will enter the meat rather than pull it out? 

I mean...is there a technique where I can braise with a liquid/water without pulling out the fla-va? 

And does braising liquid with a lot of flavor actually put flavor into the meat (like how salt will go inside the meat in a brine)? 

thanks amigos/amigas 

eugenep

eugenep

hello hello. 

But how about the components that are responsible for flavor. 

I just wanted to ask if anyone tried to braise or bake meat in a way that doesn't pull out its flavor by water/stock/msg. 

Some recipes call for heavy salt/msg in the braising liquid. 

Is the thought here that flavor from the salt/msg will enter the meat rather than pull it out? 

thanks amigos/amigas