• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with light

gfweb

On 12/24/2018 at 8:50 AM, lemniscate said:

I could swear this "cooking with light" revolutionary oven has been done before.

from 1993:   https://www.nytimes.com/1993/06/09/garden/an-oven-speeds-cooking-with-light.html

and I remember one of the major appliance companies had one with a high-tech name, Advantium.   It looked like an oversized microwave.  One of my friends was supposed to get one in her uber tricked-out kitchen-stadium in a custom built house back in the late 90's (She doesn't cook O.o, but it was the "new" thing).  

GE still makes the Advantium ovens, we have one of the older over-the-range oven/exhaust hoods in our kitchen.  Only used the "cooking with light" feature a few times before it got old.  Now its just used as a microwave and rather inefficient exhaust hood.  Biggest issue we've had is that the plastic they chose to make the door out of became brittle over time, I've had to epoxy the handle back on several times when the plastic it was secured to gave way.