• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks 2018

chefmd

I've been quite attuned to Middle Eastern cookbooks lately living where I do in a similar climate.  I enjoyed Zahev from the library and got roped into coveting Israeli Soul (Michael Solomonov and Steven Cook) after listining to their interview iwith Ed Levine Sunday on Serious Eats.  I have a long shot at winning the book on another site but if not - I will hit the purchase button. 

12 minutes ago, heidih said:

I've been quite attuned to Middle Eastern cookbooks lately living where I do in a similar climate.  I enjoyed Zahev from the library and got roped into coveting Israeli Soul (Michael Solomonov and Steven Cook) after listining to their interview iwith Ed Levine Sunday on Serious Eats.  I have a long shot at winning the book on another site but if not - I will hit the purchase button. 

I've had Simple on my hold list at the library for quite some while.  But at $13.90 I caved.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 weeks later...

...and writer Helen Rosner

I know I’ll never cook everything I want to cook, let alone read everything I want to read, so picking the best food books of the year comes with an inevitable asterisk: my teetering to-be-read pile has more than a few titles that I have a feeling ought to be on this list, like Rachel Herz’s pop-science explainer “Why You Eat What You Eat,” the chef Edward Lee’s travelogue-cum-cookbook “Buttermilk Graffiti,” and “The Donut King,” Ted Ngoy’s memoir of his path from Cambodian refugee to the head of a Southern California donut empire, and then precipitously downward from there.

...my favorites are the books that treat what we make and what we consume not as an escape...but as a prism, a way of deepening our understanding of the world. 

“Season: Big Flavors, Beautiful Food,” by Nik Sharma

“I Am a Filipino: And This Is How We Cook,” by Nicole Ponseca and Miguel Trinidad

“Feast: Food of the Islamic World,” by Anissa Helou

“Hippie Food,” by Jonathan Kauffman

“How to Eat a Peach,” by Diana Henry

“We Fed an Island: The True Story of Rebuilding Puerto Rico, One Meal at a Time,” by José Andrés with Richard Wolffe

“Provisions: The Roots of Caribbean Cooking—150 Vegetarian Recipes,” by Michelle Rousseau and Suzanne Rousseau

“Joe Beef: Surviving the Apocalypse: Another Cookbook of Sorts,” by David McMillan, Frédéric Morin, and Meredith Erickson

“You and I Eat the Same,” edited by Chris Ying

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

And Amazon has their book promo available on the US site, which will save $5 on a book purchase of $20 or more. Not available for e-books. Promo is good through tomorrow only (Dec 21). 

Use promo code GIFTBOOK18 to save $5.00 when you spend $20.00 or more on Books shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Enter code GIFTBOOK18 at checkout.

Edited by FauxPas
to add end date (log)
  • Like 1

Here are some more professional books that were released this year. If you are a fan of fine dining restaurant cookbooks then 2018 has been a bloodbath for your wallet, they are publishing way too many books.

Hay Christophe - Signature: Un chef et son terroir
This is from La Maison d'à Côté, 1 michelin star from France.

Cruz Jordi - ABaC: Cocina en evolución
Bi-lingual Spanish and English, this is a 3 michelin star restaurant from Spain; Cruz published another professional book (called "Logical Cuisine") more than 10 years ago, it was really good so I have high expectations for this, funny thing he still looks 20 years old.

Chai Isadora - Edible Satire: French Cuisine with a Twist
This is a restaurant from Malesia, seems to be a degustation only menu with modern twists. Don't know what to expect, but I'm happy to see more books by women chefs.

Préalpato Jessica - Desseralité
Plated desserts by the pastry chef of Alain Ducasse's Plaza Athénée, I would be surprised if this book wasn't top class.

Roger Patrick - Tome 1, Sculptures

This seems to have only photos of some of Roger's latest chocolate sculptures.

Roger Patrick - 100 degrés 5
This book seems to be HUGE and EXPENSIVE. I have found contrasting infos, some sites say there are recipes (without specifying what kind), others say there are no recipes... don't know what to expect from this, one thing is sure, I won't splurge my money before seeing it.

Roger Patrick - Patrick Roger, Chocolatier et Sculpteur

This, on the contrary, is really cheap, but don't know what the contents are.

Rivoire Aurélien - Itinéraire d'un chef pâtissier
Plated desserts by the pastry chef of Yannick Alléno's restaurants.

Bras Michel + Sébastien - Desserts

New book by Bras, this seems to be dedicated to home style desserts.

Nicolas + Pairon + Segui - Le grand livre de la charcuterie

All 3 authors are MOFs, publisher is Alain Ducasse, so I think it's safe to say this is going to be a reference for the subject.

Legay Guy - La cuisine de Guy Legay
French chef who is MOF and has 2 michelin stars.

Lallement Arnaud - Emotions en Champagne: La suite
Second book by this chef, who has a 3 michelin star restaurant in France, Champagne region.

Simonin Frédéric - La cuisine d'un chef engagé

1 michelin star restaurant from France (Paris).

Lepine Marc - Atelier: The Cookbook

This is from one of the most renowned restaurants in Canada. It was scheduled for 2019 but it's already for sale. You can preview a lot of pages on Amazon France.

Rouquette Jean-François - Chez Jean-François Rouquette au Park Hyatt Paris Vendôme

1 michelin star restaurant from France.

Bach + Candelon - Regalez Vous au Puits Saint Jacques
2 michelin stars restaurant from France.

Christensen + Poulsen + Stenstrup + Thostesen - Enthusiasm

This book presents 24 restaurants from around the world, considered among the best (San Pellegrino top 50 and so on). There are photos, menus and descriptions, no recipes.

Chauvet Michel - Encyclopédie des plantes alimentaires

A treatise on edible plants, with more than 700 species. French language.

Van Damme Roger - Njam - Desserts

Plated desserts by the restaurant Het Gebaar from Belgium, 1 michelin star, unfortunately it's only in Dutch language.

Kruithof Martin - De Varende Chef

2 michelin star restaurant from the Netherlands, unfortunately it's only in Dutch language.

Goujon Gilles - Gilles Goujon à Fontjoncouse: ... quelque part en Corbières
3 michelin star restaurant from France, this book seems to have been totally under the radar, I just found the page on Amazon but haven't read it mentioned anywhere else (quite strange for a 3* French restaurant).

Pacaud Mathieu - Collection Mathieu Pacaud: Cuisine gastronomique - Volume 1

Author is the son of Bernard Pacaud, chef of L'Ambroisie (3 michelin star restaurant in Paris). After working with his father he opened various restaurants, receiveing 1* or 2* for all of them. This is the 2018 epitome of publishers going BIG with their cookbooks: it costs 150 euro, has 800 pages, dimentions are 36,3 x 27,5 x 9 cm (!!!! 9 cm width! hahahahhaha). And it's just volume 1!

Foster Paul - Salt
1 michelin star restaurant from England. This restaurant was opened a couple years ago after a successful kickstarter campaign, in my opinion it's too soon to publish a cookbook, so I have low expectations.

Arzak Juan Mari + Elena - Arzak

Another book by this 3 michelin star restaurant from Spain. This is said to have 66 dishes from the last 10 years. It has a kindle edition which is relatively cheap ($15).

Ruscalleda Carme - Felicidad

3 michelin star restaurant from Spain. Finally we have a professional book by Carme Ruscalleda, just when she decided to close her business.

Di Carlo Leonardo - Evoluzione in rivoluzione

This is a professional pastry book, text is bi-lingual Italian and English. Seems like the focus is on modern interpretations of baked stuff (viennoiserie, cakes, enriched breads, cookies, so on).

Perruchon Jean-Michel - Héritage & Créations

New book from Ecole Bellouet et Perruchon, text is bi-lingual French and English. It's based on new interpretations of classic desserts (saint honoré, paris-brest and so on). In my opinion it's the least interesting of their releases, but you can be sure you'll get reliable recipes and great explanations as with all their books.

Steinheuer Hans Stefan - Steinheuer: Unsere Wurzeln Gebundenes

2 michelin star restaurant from Germany, only in German language.

Hunziker + Ludwigs + Schliephake-Burchardt + Siefert + Vogel - Törtchen: Kunstvolle Konditorei im Kleinformat

Seems to be a high quality book on modern pastry, too bad it's only in German language.

Wohlfahrt Harald - Die Kochlegende Harald Wohlfahrt
3 michelin star restaurant from Germany, only in German language.

Teo

Edited by teonzo (log)

Teo