• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quiche questions

pistolabella

I'm signed up for 2 quiches as a contribution to an office "brunch" tomorrow. We'll be eating around 11:00 a.m.; I arrive at work at 7:30 a.m. and have access to a a fridge but no oven for reheating.My hope is that I can prepare the two quiches tonight , bring them to the work fridge in the morning, and let them come towards room temperature  20 minutes or so before 11:00 tomorrow.
I figure if I bake them in the morning, they are still subject to either a) sitting out too long and/or b) eventually ending up in the fridge before 11:00 anyway and then there's just too much out/in and that could make the moisture factor weird.So - I'm looking for tips on making these tonight. I used to make quiche all the time but it's been a few years and I'm kind of nervous, especially with the circumstances. I am guessing  I definitely need to blind bake, and choose toppings that don't have a ton of moisture. What are the best cheeses to use? And finally, the best ratio of eggs to milk? I seem to recall preferring quiches with more eggs...like 5 or so, whereas most of the recipes I've been looking at  this morning only call for 3. I also would like to use cream instead of milk because that's what I have on hand. For fillings, I was thinking spinach & sundried tomato for one and I'm not sure about the 2nd quiche.

What do you think? What are your tips?

Was reading Jacques Pepin's "Essential Pepin" last night, and his quiche recipe calls for four eggs, 1.5 cups whole milk and .5 cup heavy cream. 

I've used most everything imaginable in a quiche -- chopped ham or bacon or browned sausage, sundried tomatoes, roasted asparagus, steamed broccoli, green peas. I tend toward Gruyere or Emmenthaler for the cheese unless I'm making a southwestern quiche -- whole kernel corn, fried diced potatoes, rinsed black beans -- and then I use queso blanco or Monterey Jack and cheddar. 

I don't blind bake the crust. In fact, I generally don't use a crust at all. Have also shaped half- cooked hash browns into a crust.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I've seen at Panera that the individual quiches sit in the display case unrefridgerated for the entire morning service. Personally I would skip the fridge. They do theirs in a croissant type dough.

Edited by heidih (log)

If you want to save time, skip the crust.

If you are worried about refrigeration, find two pans, or bowls, where one will fit inside the other. Take the bottom one and put ice in it and cater-wrap it. Set the other on top and you have cold holding with minimal mess.

• Like 1

For a surprise birthday party for MIL, I needed to make dishes before hand. I was unaware of my neighbours' tepid taste buds and made one quiche with goat cheese and roasted garlic, and the other with slices of roasted beetroot and Gruyère.

Everyone ate slices of both quiches. They said they enjoyed them. In retrospect, they may have been behaving politely, rather than honestly. 🙁

• Sad 1

I make quiche all the time for pot lucks.  I use Pillsbury All-Ready pie crusts because I am lazy and they always work.  I always pre-bake the crust because I can't abide a doughy crust.  For the last several years, the Pillsbury crusts have been very well behaved during pre-baking without weights, though there is always a risk of bubbles or cracks.  The use of a post-bake/pre-fill egg wash to seal the crust as described here is extra insurance against a case of the leaky pie crust and easy with a quiche as you've probably got the eggs beaten and ready to go. 

I like making a polenta crust from time to time.

I use ~ 3/4 Swiss/Gruyere/Jarlsberg and 1/4 sharp white cheddar

Favorite fillings:

Spinach & onion

Mushroom & onion

Spinach, mushroom & onion 

But I've used just about any combination of vegetables.

• Like 6

@pistolabella So, what did you bake and how did you do them? And, we’re your efforts appreciated?

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.