• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Click and Grow

CanadianHomeChef

18 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

That's slightly faster than mine :)

I thought you said in the first post that yours had germinated on day 3?  Still I suspect it will be a while till I am making pesto.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I thought you said in the first post that yours had germinated on day 3?  Still I suspect it will be a while till I am making pesto.

Oh yes I did. I think lettuce sprouted earlier (that’s the first pic). If memory serves me right, Basil at day 3 still need a careful examination to see anything. It was barely emerging from the soil. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

2 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Oh yes I did. I think lettuce sprouted earlier (that’s the first pic). If memory serves me right, Basil at day 3 still need a careful examination to see anything. It was barely emerging from the soil. 

Yes!  I had to double check mine with a magnifying glass!

• Haha 1

How does the Click & Grow compare to the Aerogarden?

I'm a bit confused by all the choices at the Aerogarden site, but I didn't have a lot of time to browse there. @JoNorvelleWalker and @CanadianHomeChef, did you buy your units through the Click & Grow web site? I see they are carried on Amazon also. Do you both have the 9-pod units? Wondering what price you paid, are they sometimes on sale for a much better price? I think the 9-pod is just under $200 at both sites I looked at. 

There is an old thread on the Aerogarden on eG, but it's pretty dated. 

8 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I'm a bit confused by all the choices at the Aerogarden site, but I didn't have a lot of time to browse there. @JoNorvelleWalker and @CanadianHomeChef, did you buy your units through the Click & Grow web site? I see they are carried on Amazon also. Do you both have the 9-pod units? Wondering what price you paid, are they sometimes on sale for a much better price? I think the 9-pod is just under $200 at both sites I looked at. 

Not sure about the Aerogarden, never owned. These actually have soil though, so no adding fertilizer and not technically hydroponics. Is Aerogarden hydroponics?

I got mine for $160CAD from Best Buy Canada. They were on sale last month ($100 off). I wanted the one with the all white base, but I hummed and hawed and soon all of the Click and Grow 9s were sold out except for one with a dark grey base; in hindsight, I like the contrast of the grey and white so I'm not disappointed. Looks like they haven't restocked yet, and the sale is over.

• Like 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

6 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I purchased my 9-pod from amazon for $139.95.  My understanding is that Aerogarden is hydroponic which would be much less useful for me.  The Click and Grow should enable me to start transplants for this summer.  The Aerogarden seems complicated.  The Click and Grow needs no moving parts, no controls, not even an on/off switch.

• Like 1

Thank you for the info! yes, I do think the Aerogarden is hydroponic. I don't know how I missed that basic difference.  xD

I think i'll start keeping an eye on the Click & Grow. But I do have a cat and he's a bit destructive at times, so have to think about placement. I like the idea of starting transplants! Looking forward to hearing more about your gardens! 

• Like 1

i have neighbors who had an Aerogarden

they did everything they were supposed to and

indeed very spindly herbs grew

but over all , compared to A's pics

it was a rip-off of wishful thinkkng

Im hoping the C&G has significantly more  light , which is the key

• Like 2

@CanadianHomeChef Years ago, I grew an heirloom tomato plant hydroponically in my living room.  After a few months, it was huge - drinking over a gallon of water a day.  The roots grew so well, they wound up clogging the inlet/outlet of my flood/drain setup and when the pump turned on, it caused a leak in the piping at one of the joints and caused a lake of 30 gallons of nutrient water in the middle of my living room floor!    So I'm not surprised that the tap root found its way into the wicks...

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 1/8/2019 at 9:35 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@CanadianHomeChef did you thin your basil?  Mine has outgrown the little greenhouse lids.  Still only one pea shoot up however.

I was told not to thin the basil. My understanding is if you don’t, you get a bushier bunch and more yield over a shorter period of time. If you thin, you get less yield but over a longer period of time (less depeletion of nutrients in the soil). 

My basil is is still growing slowly but really bushy. Wish I thinned my lettuce, but was told not to. 

• Like 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

Day 27. Harvesting the lettuce this weekend. Enough for a small salad (far less than the 2 large salads Cook’s Illustrated reported in the comments of their review). 

Basil is is slowly getting another pair of leaves. 

05050069-F557-4823-91E0-457D325F1CA2.jpeg

• Like 4

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

Im so happy those w Adventure in their Veins

are taking Hits for the Team

these sores of Grow-thinkgyies 

can't possible meet the expectations of their Ad-Pics

its about Lumens and nothing more.

CI got two ' large salads ?

a ' pair of leaves ?"

I can see these as interesting and some sort of Adventure

but" Harvesting ' is not going to be one of them 

" Two Large Salads "

CI is never gong to change

a sponsor perhaps ?

again 

I really appreciate your time and adventure into this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Grow01122019.png

The current state of the garden.

Note I was wrong about my second pea.  Now I am a little worried.  No signs of life from the other five pods at all.  I'm wondering how long to wait before I replant.

That blows :( 

Do you bury them or just scatt r them on top?

After harvesting, 2 of 3 lettuce plants are still thriving. The third seems to have kicked the bucket, but I’ll give a while longer to see if it thrives. If not, I plan on planting some seeds in the empty pod. Cooks Illustrated reported there was enough nutrients left to get a good yield of lettuce. 

Also so looking into liquid fertilizer since the roots seem to be growing through the wicks. (The one with the most extensive root system in the tank is the one having issues thriving after harvest)

• Like 2

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor