• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Click and Grow

CanadianHomeChef

I too am tempted.  For the first time in years I don't have anything culinary growing over winter.  It doesn't help that the Burpee catalog came yesterday.

Can the Click and Grow work for seed starting for transplanting outdoors?  Burpee has a neat new pink pumpkin.  How deep is the soil in the pods?

For some reason the Click and Grow romaine pods are sold out.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Transplanting should be easy. It’s a self contained pod. It feels more spongy than dirty, so it should come out easy. Company says it can be transplanted and there are pics online of it being done. 

The soil oil isn’t too deep, so larger fruit bearing plants will have to be transplanted. I will measure when I’m back home. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

At 18 inches you’d need to get an extension arm. These are the pods. Only about two inches deep. I think good for an herb garden, but fruit bearing plant pods they sell are all dwarf varieties. Doesn’t stop you from getting something started in the click and grow and transplanting though. 

D6D5B94E-8766-4132-8C6D-AEC5294223CF.jpeg

• Sad 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

My unit came today.  Was as expected except I can't quite envision growing their spruce tree pods.  Price is now $60 more than what I paid two days ago.  There is a 20 percent off sale that lasts for a (very) few more hours and I may order some spare parts.

If nothing else the Click and Grow looks nice.

Edit:  most of their stuff is sold out so I am spared for now.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My unit came today.  Was as expected except I can't quite envision growing their spruce tree pods.  Price is now $60 more than what I paid two days ago.  There is a 20 percent off sale that lasts for a (very) few more hours and I may order some spare parts.

If nothing else the Click and Grow looks nice.

Edit:  most of their stuff is sold out so I am spared for now.

Yeah. I think you get a single branch of spruce before you need to transplant 😂

• Like 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

16 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Yeah. I think you get a single branch of spruce before you need to transplant 😂

I am a bit disappointed as the height to the light bar is only about ten and a half inches.  If I buy (they could jolly well have included them) a pair of extension arms that only adds another seven.  Some of what I read led me to expect two sets of arms in the box but I received only one.

The picture on the experimental pod shows a pineapple.  Here are some of their other suggestions:

https://www.clickandgrow.com/blogs/news/35309188-smart-herb-garden-now-grows-anything-you-want

Should one weary of peas and pine spruce the list includes tobacco and opium poppy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@CanadianHomeChef when you started your seeds, did you use the extension arms or not?

I used the extension arms with the domes, which is what the company recommends. You don't use the extension arms if you have the Click and Grow 3, but apparently on the 9, the light will be overly intense if you don't use the arms. 

• Like 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

Here is my setup.  Were it a telescope this morning was first light:

Grow01012019.png

Pizza peel and DARTO pans shown, umm, for scale.  Peas seeds have not come.  I started three basil pods last night.

A feature of the Click and Grow is that the 16 hour light cycle begins from the time one plugs the unit in.  I wanted the cycle to start just after sunrise.  That means I would have to remove my bod from bed just after sunrise.  I planned to set my alarm for 7:30 but I was sure there must be another way.

I remembered I had a smart plug purchased a couple years ago for $5 as part of an amazon promotion.  I had never used it.  Just a few hours later and I was sitting down with my mai tai long after most revelers had gone to bed.  Why choose the easy way when you can ask Alexa?

So far, so good.  The light turned on as promised.  Now waiting for the seeds to sprout.  One thing I haven't figured out is how to tell when to add more water?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Here is my setup.  Were it a telescope this morning was first light:

Grow01012019.png

Pizza peel and DARTO pans shown, umm, for scale.  Peas seeds have not come.  I started three basil pods last night.

A feature of the Click and Grow is that the 16 hour light cycle begins from the time one plugs the unit in.  I wanted the cycle to start just after sunrise.  That means I would have to remove my bod from bed just after sunrise.  I planned to set my alarm for 7:30 but I was sure there must be another way.

I remembered I had a smart plug purchased a couple years ago for $5 as part of an amazon promotion.  I had never used it.  Just a few hours later and I was sitting down with my mai tai long after most revelers had gone to bed.  Why choose the easy way when you can ask Alexa?

So far, so good.  The light turned on as promised.  Now waiting for the seeds to sprout.  One thing I haven't figured out is how to tell when to add more water?

The indicator will be half way down. I’m told there’s no harm keeping it topped up but don’t over fill (have the indicator reach above the surface of the click and grow). 

• Like 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

you might up the GizzMo

on one of those Clock-ey Thing-eys

that turn your light on and off

just saying.

Guess you have or had one.

why not wait for the Peas ?

do not see the DARTO  nor the Peel.

best of luck with this  I do mean it

next to some SunLight

even better

@rotuts the smart plug will do all sorts of schedules but I am happy to let the Click and Grow control itself:  16 hours on, 8 hours off.  I just needed a way to turn the Click and Grow on at the proper time to get the schedule started.  Still, "Alexa, turn on the grow light!" has a certain ring to it.

The DARTO pans are on the second shelf under the Click and Grow.  I couldn't figure any other place to put them.  The peel, which is about four foot long, is hanging at the far end of the Click and Grow.

Don't worry, I saved six spaces for the peas.

@JoNorvelleWalker

Ah , yes.

you are in NJ , not MA nor CA nor CO etc

six spaces might cover the total cost of the C&G in those states 

and then some

with the proper '' shoots ''

maybe even with our Friends N of the Border.

Just saying

Just thinking A Head.

suprise.gif.d46185ef29198d0c3f8f47a6a8e36828.gif

money-mouth.gif.edf30730eb3d775afd7d38ab2c474e01.gif

enjoy those ' peas '

Edited by rotuts (log)