• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

12 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

That blows :( 

Do you bury them or just scatt r them on top?

After harvesting, 2 of 3 lettuce plants are still thriving. The third seems to have kicked the bucket, but I’ll give a while longer to see if it thrives. If not, I plan on planting some seeds in the empty pod. Cooks Illustrated reported there was enough nutrients left to get a good yield of lettuce. 

Also so looking into liquid fertilizer since the roots seem to be growing through the wicks. (The one with the most extensive root system in the tank is the one having issues thriving after harvest)

Horticulturally speaking lots of roots (thready) are not a sign of best vigor. You want one strong tap root. When you transplant those whispy guys shrivel and you get die off.  Think desperation versus "I got this"

heidih

heidih

12 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

That blows :( 

Do you bury them or just scatt r them on top?

After harvesting, 2 of 3 lettuce plants are still thriving. The third seems to have kicked the bucket, but I’ll give a while longer to see if it thrives. If not, I plan on planting some seeds in the empty pod. Cooks Illustrated reported there was enough nutrients left to get a good yield of lettuce. 

Also so looking into liquid fertilizer since the roots seem to be growing through the wicks. (The one with the most extensive root system in the tank is the one having issues thriving after harvest)

Horticulturally speaking lots of roots (thready) are not a sign of best vigor. You want one strong tap root. When you transplant those whispy guy shrivel and you get die off.  Think despoeration versus "I got this"